MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys,

I have been thinking about getting a 15% pulley for a long time, and compared some of them.

STOCK: 0.29Kg
ALTA: 0.40Kg $119.95 USD on outmotoring.com without puller
MINI MANIA: 0.225Kg
PLAY MINI: 0.38Kg
MINI-MADNESS: 0.155Kg $150 USD without puller

Based on what I know, the lighter, the better. BUT, the thing confused me is why most people chose ALTA over MINI-MADNESS? Is that because of the price? :confused: Anyway, the pulley is the cheapest way to get the most power. ALTA claims their pulley gives out 12-20hp, while MINI-MADNESS claims 15-20hp. Still, MINI-MADNESS wins. Any advice on which to choose or comment will be helpful, and maybe I'm not the only one confused. Thanks.

BTW, I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Could somebody who had changed their pulley tell me the price of the installation? I would be glad to know the price of other places, too. Thank you.

·
Registered
511 Posts
In reference to your thread title, it shouldn't really make much of a difference to be honest since the forces to overcome the initial inertia over spinning something as small as a supercharger pulley will be minimal anyway. Once spinning, there would be no discernible difference.

Of more importance is the construction of the pulley itself. Is it a taper (pulley bolts onto adapter plate) or interference (pressed on like the stock item)?

Aluminium pulleys also may suffer greater heat exchanges through the supercharger shaft and into the supercharger itself. Again, the difference here would be negligible. A good steel pulley will last longer than an aluminium pulley under like for like conditions (i.e. belt tension and operating temps etc).

In summary, of those you list I would buy the Alta one purely because it is of good construction in my book and is possibly more proven over the others.

Cheers,

Henry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.