MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a MCS this week and am now wondering if I made the right choice. I didn't think about how comfortable the ride would be for my 2 1/2 year old son. I rode in the back of a MCS a couple of times but it was only a short distance so I can't really remember. I understand that the 17" runflats and the SS + suspension = a rough ride. My son hates riding in the car in the first place. I would hate for it to be even more unpleasant for him. Can anyone give me some feedback about this?

Thanks,
Mary

·
Registered
324 Posts
MaryFlute said:
I ordered a MCS this week and am now wondering if I made the right choice. I didn't think about how comfortable the ride would be for my 2 1/2 year old son. I rode in the back of a MCS a couple of times but it was only a short distance so I can't really remember. I understand that the 17" runflats and the SS + suspension = a rough ride. My son hates riding in the car in the first place. I would hate for it to be even more unpleasant for him. Can anyone give me some feedback about this?

Thanks,
Mary
My daughter is only 8 weeks old, so she is still in a baby seat, but we went for a 650km round trip yesterday and she slept for 5 1/2 hours out of the six hours we were driving. She hasn't had a problem since the first day we drove her home.

For a 2 1/2 year old - I must admit that I don't know, as their seating position would be different. I don't think that it would be too harsh for them, but maybe the lack of space might be a problem.

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
I am told the MINI is too bumpy for a passenger to work on a laptop :)

For a good soft ride, I believe the car needs to have a long wheel base and soft suspension. So I guess the MINI does not qualify on both counts.

Having said that, there are peeps regularly turn up to MINI runs with youngsters in the backseat :)

It also depends on the way you drive - if you drive the car like a go-kart, then your passengers will get sloshed out and car-sick in no time ;)

DK ;) :apple:

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. My car has ss+, and did have runflats. No complaints at all from my daughter (now 1, but been driven everywhere). She has done thousands of km in the car and loves it :)

One thing about babies - they wear lots of personal padding... nappies lots of clothes etc ;) ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just got our MCS 2 weeks ago after having an A Class for three years and I'd say the ride is better than the Merc (even with the runflats & S+ suspension). I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
911t said:
We just got our MCS 2 weeks ago after having an A Class for three years and I'd say the ride is better than the Merc (even with the runflats & S+ suspension). I don't think you have anything to worry about.
911t,

I'm so glad to hear that. I just found out my Mini is en route to the US so I'll have it very soon. I guess I will find out for myself in a few weeks!

Thanks!
Mary

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ImaVunDerBrah said:
I'd ditch the run flats for sure.

Mary - I can't believe its on the way to the US already! Seems like you just ordered not too long ago... :)
Hey Stef!

I know - I just ordered it on 12/9 and it's on the ship already! Whoo hoo! Mike at Classic Mini said he should be getting it in 7-10 days and then he'll ship it asap. I should have it by the end of the month! Hooray! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
For the most part my 5 and 3 year olds enjoy motoring...occasionally I get the request to "not go fast". The only time there was unhappiness is when I (mistakenly) thought a MINI run would be a good family event! My 5 year old nearly lost his lunch! But, he still enjoys taking the cooper to the store!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
We have a MCS with 17" runflats and SS and a 4 year old! He has never complained! I rode in the back for 40 miles the other night and it didnt seem that bad, he has the MINI car seat which is really comfy and supportive which also helps.

Hope you enjoy the new addition!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
On my latest trip, over xmas, the wife, baby and myself drove over 7000kms return and had no troubles at all. The wife and I shared time in the back seat to comfort the baby when she got upset and this, although a bit cramped, was fine and definitely not bumpy. I got a lot of sleep whilst in the back seat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
MaryFlute said:
I understand that the 17" runflats and the SS + suspension = a rough ride.
In my opinion, this has been severely overstated. We have spent nearly equal time on (A) run flat 17" tires, and (B) 15" NON-run flat (snow) tires, and have concluded that the difference in comfort is minimal at best. This has been almost entirely on the pock-marked highways and cobble-stoned streets of the greater Boston area. So...If you've been in a MINI w/ 17" run flats and have had comfort issues, don't count on them being resolved by the substitution of any wheel/tire combination. Any way you cut it it's a stiffly sprung car with a short wheelbase.

All that said, I believe that you and your young one(s) will be as thrilled with your MCS as we still are.

Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SalemMINIDriver said:
In my opinion, this has been severely overstated. We have spent nearly equal time on (A) run flat 17" tires, and (B) 15" NON-run flat (snow) tires, and have concluded that the difference in comfort is minimal at best. This has been almost entirely on the pock-marked highways and cobble-stoned streets of the greater Boston area. So...If you've been in a MINI w/ 17" run flats and have had comfort issues, don't count on them being resolved by the substitution of any wheel/tire combination. Any way you cut it it's a stiffly sprung car with a short wheelbase.

All that said, I believe that you and your young one(s) will be as thrilled with your MCS as we still are.

Welcome to the family.
Hi,

You're absolutely right. I AM thrilled with my MCS!!!! And my son doesn't seem to mind it. He'll be 3 next month and I had forgotten that he loves riding in his dad's F250 diesel truck which is NOT a smooth ride at all!!! I can't believe how much I LOVE my car!!!!

Mary

·
Registered
220 Posts
MaryFlute said:

Thanks,
Mary
Here's an unedited review from my 8-year-old son, Caleb:

“I think it’s very amazing. It’s soft and comfortable. It’s not rough at all. Compared to our old car (Ford Windstar), it’s very comfy. And do not worry, it is very nice in the back. It’s very smooth. It’s not rough. And when you go on a bump, you can definitely feel the bump, but it doesn't make your teeth rattle or anything. Just be careful going over big bumps, and go slower over them.”

Caleb went on to say about the convertible, “The back is not comfortable with the top down, but when you duck, the wind cannot get you.”

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cherry2005 said:
Here's an unedited review from my 8-year-old son, Caleb:

“I think it’s very amazing. It’s soft and comfortable. It’s not rough at all. Compared to our old car (Ford Windstar), it’s very comfy. And do not worry, it is very nice in the back. It’s very smooth. It’s not rough. And when you go on a bump, you can definitely feel the bump, but it doesn't make your teeth rattle or anything. Just be careful going over big bumps, and go slower over them.”

Caleb went on to say about the convertible, “The back is not comfortable with the top down, but when you duck, the wind cannot get you.”

Hope this helps.

Please thank Caleb for me. It helped a lot!! :)

Funny thing - my old car was a Ford Windstar too!!

Mary :red:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.