MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've wandered around collecting MINI TV commercials from online sites, which are quite cute for the most part. My wife and I were watching them last night and we noticed that MINI almost never shows women driving their cars. In the two dozen-odd ads I had, there was only one that showed a woman driver (and even then it's hard to tell, as you can't see the steering wheel, and it's a Japanese ad, which oddly normally show a LHD car).
We then noticed that really, none of MINI's advertising has women driving. The unofficial Owner's manual has women washing the car and holding cups of coffee, but never driving. The short clips on the MINIUSA site are all of guys. With the number of women who drive the cars it seems a bit odd that none of the advertising would show them...

So is MINI just paranoid that their car will gain the perception of being a "chick car", since once that happens men pretty much give up on the brand?
Do none of the members of MINI's marketing group know any real women?
Or is this part of some larger conspiracy... (is that a black helicopter?)
Or am I just losing it?

-Eric

·
Registered
336 Posts
Generally, men have the casting vote in car purchasing.

Women buy on looks, colour, image.

Men need to be tempted to drive.

·
Shopping
740 Posts
MukiMunki said:

What a load of rubbish. :D

I bet if most men were honest they would say that it's the wife of partner that have the final say. :D

most mini owners are women. ;)

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Coupla good observations about the commercials (I don't know about the car buying observations though. My wife said "Buy any car you want..." Ahem)

Seriously, chick cars' do not become guy cars, but the inverse can happen.

Personally, I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity (and financial health, thank goodness) that anything I want to drive, I can. I personally don't think MINI goes far enough. The Orange I bought my MCSC in is real woos Orange. I think it should be like the old 2002 orange. LOUD is better. If that's a chick statement, fair enough, but it's what I want to drive.

In fact, just the other day, the guys and I where sitting around, having our nails manicured, and...

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MukiMunki said:

Men need to be tempted to drive.
While I used to believe this was the case, I've found too many people that break that mold to be simple coincidence.
There was also a study done here in the US not long ago that showed that women were responsible for something like 80% of all car buying decisions. This doesn't mean they necessarily say, "I want this one", but that they have veto power, so if hubby wants a small, impractical coupe with no storage and the wife says no, then it's no...
This may be why the Chevy Camaro has gone away...

-Eric

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
twouptons said:
So I've wandered around collecting MINI TV commercials from online sites, which are quite cute for the most part. My wife and I were watching them last night and we noticed that MINI almost never shows women driving their cars. In the two dozen-odd ads I had, there was only one that showed a woman driver (and even then it's hard to tell, as you can't see the steering wheel, and it's a Japanese ad, which oddly normally show a LHD car).
We then noticed that really, none of MINI's advertising has women driving. The unofficial Owner's manual has women washing the car and holding cups of coffee, but never driving. The short clips on the MINIUSA site are all of guys. With the number of women who drive the cars it seems a bit odd that none of the advertising would show them...

So is MINI just paranoid that their car will gain the perception of being a "chick car", since once that happens men pretty much give up on the brand?
Do none of the members of MINI's marketing group know any real women?
Or is this part of some larger conspiracy... (is that a black helicopter?)
Or am I just losing it?

-Eric
Yes.

Well, that is to say the marketing has been very "gender aware", and it's no mistake it's men (even bald, ugly ones) behind the wheel most of the time (by the way, the nude frying pan and fish adverts have an elderly woman driving (all here: www.mini2.com/goodies/video) . The theory goes that women will buy mens cars, but men wont buy womens cars. Although in reality I'm sure the consumer is far more complex than that...... right?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
What ever progress may have been made on equality it's still a sad fact that most men
insult each other, their possessions and their decisions with female gender/references
e.g. "that's a girls car" is an attempted insult. I've had several, jealous, men say this
about my car and while it doesn't bother me it will influence some men. So while they
probably are not allowed to admit it I'm sure this is why lady drivers or girl racers are not
shown in many Mini adverts. At least there is some progress in that not all drivers in the
Mini adverts look as if they finished shooting a shampoo commercial the day before.

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
I believe car manufacturers are aware that there are more and more women out there who can afford to buy their own diamonds ;)

If they want us to buy their cars then they'd better style one that we like IMHO :)

I believe there are more "female" input during the car designing stage nowadays, in order to produce a design that appeal to both genders.

I honestly believe the MINI appeals to all, and do not think it is a "chick car", just a seriously cute one :D

DK ;) :apple:

·
Registered
514 Posts
max said:
I think the real problem is with the Cabrio

Well, just look at the stats...>

Most who purchase the Cabrio are girlies at heart
Them's fightin' words :mad: :eek: :D

So you think Mini Cabrio ad campaign of "two men, a car and a dog" sends the wrong message, lol? Personally I'm comfortable enough with who I am to have ordered an MCSC (although I did shy away from Hot Orange as a color choice for a couple of reasons ;) ). If people want to question who i am, so be it. My wife and kids know the truth. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had the odd comment but most people love my car and just want one themselves. Contrast that with the Puma I used to drive - one office colleague reached the inevitable conclusion that I was obviously gay if I drove one of those! My missus begged to differ.

Cheers to all of those who can see through this sort of shallowness and know a great car when they drive it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Market research

One of the dealers to whom I spoke in Melbourne Australia before purchasing my MCS told me that 92% of buyers in Australia are male. Girls buy the new beetle. One can surmise that the advertising is simply targeting the market.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
mfwheel said:
One of the dealers to whom I spoke in Melbourne Australia before purchasing my MCS told me that 92% of buyers in Australia are male. Girls buy the new beetle. One can surmise that the advertising is simply targeting the market.
Or that the advertising works. I don't know about in Oz, but in the UK, the advertising was here before the car...

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts