MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just bought a 2004 cooper S but not sure its a pre or post facelift. its got the new style steering wheel but its got the 5 piece dash instead of the 4 piece. The xenons arent the projector type either.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
must have been a showroom car or the like so therefore wasn't registered for a few months. 5 piece dash makes it definitely a pre facelift - passenger air bag etc is in a different position.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bit gutting, i hoping for a face lift car as i wouldve preferred 170 BHP instead of 163 BHP. lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats sort of gain a 15% reduced give on the pre face lift compared to a post facelift?
whats the difference between the pre and post facelift engine wise, where did the extra 7 BHP come from?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah it's a pre-facelift looking at the 5-piece dashboard. Can't really tell from the front as the standard grill has been replaced. Although the xenons look like the pre-facelift style. Easier to tell from the back, if it's a pre-facelift the reverse light will be in the centre of the bumper (they're in the side clusters on the facelifted ones).

Power-wise, I don't think you're at much, if any, of a disadvantage when it comes to tuning it. Various tuners seem to be offering increases to around 210-220bhp for about £1,000. However, the facelifted model apparenty benefits from the revised gear ratios.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
thats no clue as MINI sell a re-wiring kit to put all the post facelift lights onto pre facelift cars. The dash is the only sure fire visual way of telling ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Check the clock is in the speedo and not where the sun-visors are, if it is near sun-visors thats the old version.

And look at the cup holder the one in the back is bigger than it used to be in the older ones lol

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
whats sort of gain a 15% reduced give on the pre face lift compared to a post facelift?
whats the difference between the pre and post facelift engine wise, where did the extra 7 BHP come from?
The horsepower difference is probably a result of ECU tweaking and a different coating on the vanes of the Eaton supercharger.

The facelift MCS is geared for better acceleration, so even with equal horsepower a pre-facelift MCS won't be quite as fast.

·
www.mini4u.de
267 Posts
definitely a preface -
some optical differences: dash-board, xenon-lights, backlights... and of course some tecnical differences. concerning the lights it is easy to update :biggrin:

greets, paulo

·
Registered
422 Posts
like the 54 plate very nice.....but also

minisoopercooper

That’s the most outrageous mini roof graphic I’ve seen to date………..Fantastic.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mine is an 04 plate and is an in-between one too and I love it for it.

It has the best bits from pre-facelift and post-facelift.

I love the fact it has the clock up on the headlining, and that I have the new steering wheel, and the new seat folding mechanism.
I really love the older style rear lights too.

Wouldnt mind the newer style xenons though!

It also has different style chrome trim around the front grill and is missing out on the drivers side sun flap and the orange light on the indicator stalk to show if I am running out of windscreen washer.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
A 15% pulley will give you about 20-25bhp on either a post or pre-facelift car, depending on the current condition of the engine.

The extra 7 horses came from a remap on the facelift. It was this combined with shorter gearing that knocked a couple of tenths off the 0-60 time. You'll get better mpg on the pre-facelift though!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have a check 2moz when i pick it up. cant wait for the drive home. I havent had a car for a month since writting my previous car off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts