MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys and gals,
I have a 2009 MC here in Europe. It has around 50k miles on the clock and it runs perfect.
I am recently seeing the electric fan turning on from time to time.
Never when I am driving at moderate speeds, only when I am standing still. After i shut off the engine the fans turns itself off. all perfectly normal.

However, i bought an obd bluetooth adapter and downloaded the torque thing, all just for fun and more info. then i decided to get into the reason why the fan turns on.
(i know to cool the engine, not enough airflow when standing still. etc etc.)

I started the engine, after letting it cool for severeal hours, in a cool underground garage. I let the car idle and watched the temperature gauge on my samsung phone. I expected the engine to stop heating up after some 90-95 degress Celcius. But it didnt. It went to 105 or something and then the fan turned on to cool the engine down. it cooled ti down to alsmot 70 but still it didnt shut off until i started driving around.
I understand this is normal, i mean the fan should turn on in extremely hot weather when i am standing still, but why in a cool garage, just idling? isnt this proof that the engine has problem keeping itself cool? can someone please enlighten me?

I have also done a scan of faults and sensors in the car with the obd app. I have no fault codes stored in the ecu and the only test that is "not ok" is this: Fuel system Monitor Bank 2. MID: $82TID:$66. (most likely has nothing to do with this).

TIA to all!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
ok you can never believe that electronic stuff the electric fan will engage when the engine goes slightly over operating temperatures the temperatures you are seeing are totally normal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts