MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first winter with my mini in Edmonton. Do you guys think the original run flats will be good enough? Or should I spend a few $$ for a set of snowtires and wheels? Anyone has any recommendation to get them within Edmonton (otherwise I'll have to drive to Calgary's MINI dealer).

Thanks for any feedback!!

·
Now With More Cowbell
1,687 Posts
Short answer: get the snow tires.

If you plan on keeping the car longer than 2-3 years you'll need to get new tires eventually anyway. In this case you'll just be spending the money up front rather than a few years down the road. Mounted on steelies or cheap alloys (my alloys cost only about $130 each) a good snow tire is a sound long term investment.

-CW

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
The dealer had a winter package last year of 15" steel wheels, covers and Pirelli Snow Control 190 winter tires for $1K, in the narrow 175/65R15 size that's great for winter.
Or if mostly city driving you might try ebay for a set of the OEM R81 7-hole alloys with ContiTouringContact all-season 175/65R15 tires, should be able to pick these up for less than $700CDN shipped.
Yesterday's brutal snow got you thinking, right? :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got the Pirelli's from the dealer, and since my summer wheels are white (roof is white), I bought steel rims and had them painted white. The look's not bad, handling is great ! Don't risk your life and your car on runflats in winter, at the end it will be much costly than having the MINI properly equipped for winter. And anyway, CW is right !

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I can't believe some Edmontonians are considering running on summer tires in the winter. Even if you don't get much snow, those summer tire compounds are going to be hard as rocks at temperatures below freezing. Good luck... I have snow tires and I'm in Ontario and I'd definitely get them out there.

Harry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback guys :)
I'm gonna get winter tirez fitted for sure. Mini Crowfoot originally suggested shipping down the package, but in the end they can't knock off much for instsallation, so i guess i'm heading to Calgary for a short trip! oh well :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, I didn't have winter tires for my Mazda RX7 for the weather of Winnipeg. Piece of cake.

I recently moved to Calgary - - the snow on the main streets tends to melt right away, correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd follow up :D

I backed out from the steel rims package from mini dealer (since I'll have to take a day off work to do the calgary run, and honestly, I don't super like the look of the hubcaps :p ).
Tried Canadian tires to see if I can get anything fitted but the guy said they don't carry tires with measurements that fit my car....
Ended up at Bestway Tires and they fitted me with a set of Hankook W400 on my current R83 rims. So far so good. I'm glad I got this over with coz as i'm typing now I see big snowflakes coming down from the sky!!
I figured that next year summer if I'm good and save up enough I'll upgrade to 17" ....will see :)

Thanks again for suggestions you all ;)

C

·
0 Posts
I'm in Calgary....I don't plan to get a set of winter tires, but then again my MINI stays in the garage when there is snow on the ground. My celica gets the punishment of winter... :eek:

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
I live in the great southern region of the Shire and still feel the need of the narrower 175/65-15 wheel and tires. I use the 195/55-16 for the spring - summer - fall but switch over when the snow flies.

Buy yourself some 5.5"x15" steelies with real snow tires. You won't regret it. Save some money and check out Tire Rack.com or some other internet tire markets. You should be able to get 4 wheels and tires for about $500 USD, whats that in Canadian ..... maybe $900 :eek: :rolleyes:

OK, ok it is only $600 :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts