MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'Is MINI a Gay Car' thread..

Has gone as I recieved a few complaints from members of the MINI2 community who found it insulting.

I also think some of the comments were thoughtless to say the least.

I still believe it's a valid question, but one that should be discussed sensibly, I mean, the MINI has been advertised and promotoed on the 'Gay scene' quite a lot, I know from my contacts in MINI marketing this was a concous decision, it does beg the question, 'what makes a car a 'gay' car, and on what basis to marketing men, or people in general, make these decisions?'

·
Registered
240 Posts
Does it really matter?
If a person likes the car, then surely that's all that matters, sexuality is (or should be!) irrelevant...

Mon

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
If people are Gay who cares:confused:
I think most MINI owners are Gay (as in happy, if you ask me):D :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Re: The 'Is MINI a Gay Car' thread..

Paul_Mullett said:
...it does beg the question, 'what makes a car a 'gay' car, and on what basis to marketing men, or people in general, make these decisions?'
I think as with all corporate decisions, it boils down to money in the end. The final post on the deleted thread, mentioned that Gay men do not generally have the added expense/responsibility of children to consider and therefore makes them an ideal 'target' for products that you may be guided towards initially by your heart rather than your head.:)

The pink pound seems to have passed me by, but if the MINI hadn't had such good reviews for its mechanical aspects as well as it's 'look' then I'd be driving something altogether more practical as we speak..;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
To be honest i think the MINI could turn into a hairdressers car, which could then be branded gay!

However i think this is unlikely, anyway, you'd have to change the colour scheme on this site, afterall there would be a split about this macho black and grey look, and before you know it the interface would be pink and fluffy! :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually, have to say this...

Right the discussion on whether a car can be described as gay cannot and should not upset your average buftie! Why? I'll tell you why, if its ok for the gay community to have a gay only mini club then i'm damn sure straight folk can talk about gay issues!

Please let me know if there is any strickly non gay admitting mini clubs, that justify there being a gay only club! Now surely if anything else this is totally sexist!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Brian, are you saying there is a Gay only MINI club or that you think there should be one?

Personally I can't think of a worse idea other than your comment about the inerface on MINI2 becoming 'pink and fluffy'?..:(:(

OK guys, let's not let this thread get out of hand again! 'Sensible' posts only please!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry if I insulted anyone w/ any of my posts, but the thread was becoming quite annoying. All here on MINI2 are auto enthusiasts are are buying the car because it is one unbelieveable driving car! Who cares what others will be thinking, when only YOU will be the BLUR tearing up the twisties w/ a huge grin across your face!!!:D

·
Registered
888 Posts
I certainly bought the car because of the way it drives, but many, many people will buy the car simply because of its image and it is wrong to think lesser of them because of that!!

BMW will be counting on people buying it for that reason...

·
Registered
6 Posts
lightbody said:
It wasn't the thread itself that was insulting, just a couple of posts within it from ignorant posters!
So the whole thread gets nuked, instead of just the individual posts? nkay

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow. People really get offended too easily. I did not mean I would not buy a Mini simply because there's a 'gay' image attached to it. I'm picking up a second Miata this wknd. Now, no matter how we dress it up (the '99 has rollbar, full exhaust, ricer stickers, clear corners, etc), race it and beat on it it'll still be a 'gay' car. You can enjoy your Mini/Miata all you want, but, the question was: will the typical automotive enthusiast attach a homosexual imagery to every Mini they see on the road?

Did you folks NOT watch that movie: "Go"? or more recently, "Corky Romano"? Can YOUR Mini be THAT Miata?

I think the answer is a pretty clear-cut 'Yes'. =)

Tony
* not a homophobe, not a homosexual, just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
632 Posts
enough is enough . . . some hope ! ! ! !

TonyC said:
Wow. People really get offended too easily. I did not mean I would not buy a Mini simply because there's a 'gay' image attached to it. I'm picking up a second Miata this wknd. Now, no matter how we dress it up (the '99 has rollbar, full exhaust, ricer stickers, clear corners, etc), race it and beat on it it'll still be a 'gay' car. You can enjoy your Mini/Miata all you want, but, the question was: will the typical automotive enthusiast attach a homosexual imagery to every Mini they see on the road?

Did you folks NOT watch that movie: "Go"? or more recently, "Corky Romano"? Can YOUR Mini be THAT Miata?

I think the answer is a pretty clear-cut 'Yes'. =)

Tony
* not a homophobe, not a homosexual, just thinking out loud.
Whatever, thanks to all this so-called `gay image` claptrap that certain sexually orientated minorities continue to apply to anything and everything that they consider to be "their bag" . . . . I now find myself feeling a little sick!

It`s bad enough that they`ve high-jacked a previously perfectly innocent word from the English language without them now attempting to make the MINI brand theirs too!!!!!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
The other thread on this subject has been deleted. Call me a prude, but does this issue realy warrant debate here.

These subjects will just to continue to offend certain groups, much in the same way as MINI v mini threads do.

It serves little purpose here.

I don;t care whether people are gay, black, white, pink, or anything else. All these groups are going to drive MINI's so why not simply except it, chill out, and move on.

Thanks

PS. And no I wasn't someone who complained about the first one, in fact I asked for some of the more insensitive posts to be removed to keep it light hearted.

It is too sensitive and personal an issue to be discussed here in my opinion. So can we get back to poking fun at inanimate subects......ooh and talking about the MINI of course.

:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
OK guys, let's not let this thread get out of hand again! 'Sensible' posts only please!!!
Jakx, I have to ask..which part of this statement didn't you understand?

So the Gays are taking over the world are they?..jeez, welcome to the new Millenium!

I think it's a crying shame that a thread like this CAN'T exist without it turning into a free for all..:(

Either keep responses relevant or don't bother!:(:(

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gee wizzz

I had better warn all those mature folk who I have seen in the showroom thinking fondly of their yooof in classic Minis...

hang on.... no-one told me???

:D :D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dogger, there is a Gay only Mini Club! its listed if you care to be offended enought to look! It certainly offended me anyway! As i'm sure i've never ever seen a Straight only mini club, so why is there the need for a gay only club, other than of course that these gay club organisers are sexist!

CarCrazy, don't say everyone on here is a car enthusiast, as it is clearly not the case, there is a large contingent of this board who like no cars, other than their new aquisition MINI. Proven in all the Mini vs MINI debates where they say the mini is crap and that they would never have one, these people are not enthusiats!

:)

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
I'm somewhat amazed at this thread. Most of the people posting are clearly in four groups. Pro-Straight, Pro-Gay, Pro-Mini and Pro-MINI. We all seem so worried that our words/opinion won't be accounted for we are failing to see the one unifying interest. The reason for the existence of this board and I'd bet the common thread between us all is that we appreciate the MINI.

If I posted a topic entitled "Is the MINI a tennis players car" (I love the game) it would probably spiral into something akin to this thread with different camps (Pro-Tennis, Pro-Football, Pro-MINI and Pro-Mini.) The tennis football/soccer argument is obvious. The MINI camp would worry that one group of athletes wouldn't buy the car and the Mini camp would point out that the Mini never had these issues. Does anyone but me see this or are we too worried about not getting the last word on subjects near and dear to our hearts?

I like the Mini. I like the MINI. I could care less what your sexual preference is or what you think of mine. I'm buying a MINI becasue of the heritage of the Mini (Original, Rover and whatever!). My only (and I do mean ONLY) worry about the MINI is wheter or not I can get my 3 year old daughter in the back seat comfortably becasue otherwise, it fits my life perfectly.

Anyway....I'm sure this did no good and I'm certain I somehow offended someone but, that was truly not my goal. I mean, this is not a tabloid. It's a site dedicated to a great car. The MINI.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Yurinaut said:
The reason for the existence of this board and I'd bet the common thread between us all is that we appreciate the MINI.

Hear, Hear..:):)

If I posted a topic entitled "Is the MINI a tennis players car" (I love the game) it would probably spiral into something akin to this thread with different camps (Pro-Tennis, Pro-Football, Pro-MINI and Pro-Mini.) The tennis football/soccer argument is obvious. The MINI camp would worry that one group of athletes wouldn't buy the car and the Mini camp would point out that the Mini never had these issues. Does anyone but me see this or are we too worried about not getting the last word on subjects near and dear to our hearts?

Dodgy use of the word 'camp' there..;) One thing is for certain, the MINI isn't a golf players car - you can't fit the clubs in the boot..:)

Anyway....I'm sure this did no good and I'm certain I somehow offended someone but, that was truly not my goal. I mean, this is not a tabloid. It's a site dedicated to a great car. The MINI.

This is probably one of these least offensive and most valuable posts on this thread Mike - thanks for taking the time to calm the waters!..:)

...and BrianMini - I'm with you in thinking that a Gay Mini owners club is taking things just that bit too far, but we're here to debate MINI's and not the history of Gay Lib so the less said about that the better I reckon..:);)

1 - 20 of 149 Posts