MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Mini a safe car or just safe for it's class?
This will be the smallest car this side of the pond, and it concerns my family that it may not be safe. How would it compare to say, the VW Golf, Ford Focus, BMW 3 series, or Audi A4? Are there any results of crash tests?
Being a father I sacrifice ALOT for my family, but Don't Mess With My Car!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
coopercrazy said:
Is the Mini a safe car or just safe for it's class?
This will be the smallest car this side of the pond, and it concerns my family that it may not be safe. How would it compare to say, the VW Golf, Ford Focus, BMW 3 series, or Audi A4? Are there any results of crash tests?
Being a father I sacrifice ALOT for my family, but Don't Mess With My Car!
I'm sure you've read what BWM has placed on its MINIUSA.com site regarding the MINI’s safety features. Just look at the alphabet soup of technology that the MINI has available: ABS EBC ASC-T DSC AHPSII and so on -- which are designed to help prevent accidents or lessen injuries.

In addition, you can also check out these links to see how the MINI did in crash testing (very well actually :) ) and compare it to other cars.

http://www.mini2.com/news/news.php?id=27

http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm

But don't forget that these tests only judge passive safety - not accident avoidance. The tests assume the driver is, in fact, a "crash test dummy" and is destined to smash into an obstacle. In the real world however, people, not dummies, drive cars and people cause or avoid accidents. The MINI is one of most agile, most maneuverable cars in the world. Just look how well it did in the Road & Track testing.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3143

If it is possible for a car to avoid an accident, the MINI is that car (and the small size helps). Of course, some accidents are unavoidable, but personally, I'd rather take my chances in a small, highly nimble athletic car instead of a massive, ponderous and slow reacting hulk of an SUV that would likely flip over if ever asked to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Bruce says it pretty well, if what is printed so far is correct then yes, the MINI is going to be one safe care...DEPENDING. This is the fly in the soup part. Any car/truck/vehicle can, will and has killed the people in it. It is an indisputable fact. I kind of feel that when your ticket is punched it does not matter where you are, you are on the trip. With all that said, it appears that BMW/MINI made up for the short length with a very rigid box and crush zones designed to keep us as safe as possible. Practice good, defensive driving, keep the phone out of your ear and your eyes moving and you should come out just fine. I always had the mind set on my motorcycles that everyone was out to kill me. With the rubber necking we are bound to get as we drive our MINI, that just may need to be our aditude.
Sorry if I seemed to preach. Kind of goes with my job.

Mike:D :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Considering BMW claimed they made the car bigger so that it would be better in a crash! And considering there is less interior space than in a Classic mini, i could only assume they are jam packed full space for crumple zones! Just don't look under your bonnet or into your boot though eh! Not a lot of crumple space there to be quick frank!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Is the MINI a safe car?

BruceK said:

I'm sure you've read what BWM has placed on its MINIUSA.com site regarding the MINI’s safety features. Just look at the alphabet soup of technology that the MINI has available: ABS EBC ASC-T DSC AHPSII and so on -- which are designed to help prevent accidents or lessen injuries.

In addition, you can also check out these links to see how the MINI did in crash testing (very well actually :) ) and compare it to other cars.

But don't forget that these tests only judge passive safety - not accident avoidance. The tests assume the driver is, in fact, a "crash test dummy" and is destined to smash into an obstacle. In the real world however, people, not dummies, drive cars and people cause or avoid accidents. The MINI is one of most agile, most maneuverable cars in the world. Just look how well it did in the Road & Track testing.

[Of course, some accidents are unavoidable, but personally, I'd rather take my chances in a small, highly nimble athletic car instead of a massive, ponderous and slow reacting hulk of an SUV that would likely flip over if ever asked to avoid an accident.
Bruce,

Thanks for the excellent links. The MINI ranks up there with the best of the midsize E-class and 5-series. And I agree that the MINI, with all its electronic gizmos, will be able to avoid almost any accident(which I can attest to since I drive a 2000 323i w/ sport pack).
But, my concern(being stateside) are the SUV's you mention, with the mom's on the phone who don't watch the road.
Which I guess then it wouldn't matter what I was driving.
Any idea how a rear passenger would fare from a hit from the back?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts