MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a very sudden bereavement in the family,Annes been staying up her mothers for the last two days which is about 35 miles away from where we live,so the company car has been left outside,which gives me a chance to see what the MINI is like to drive on a regular basis rather than just at weekends,I do this journey up to her mothers and back 2x a day which is about 140 miles of mixed driving,some country lanes,motorways and A roads so here is my opinion of the MINI Cooper with the chilli pack.

1)I like to relax a bit while I'm driving you cant in the MINI as the steering is to twitchy,ie take your eyes of the road{adjust the audio} for a second and the car will wander.

2)The ssp anyone with back problems dont get this option as you do feel every little imperfection in the road.

3)what ever you do close your windows when cleaning your windscreen while on the move otherwise you will get wet.

4)Has anyone else noticed how dirty they get so quickly I clean our car every week and the white wheels every 3 days and it now looks like its never been cleaned,also you can not get into the boot with out getting your hands dirty.

5)quality of materials used are suspect too, while getting out of the car my jacket caught the plastic chrome trim underneath the fixed window and broke 2 of the plastic fixing points,so now held on with bluetack until I get time to go to the dealers.

6)MPG is awfull admittedly I have been driving fast, but I am not impressed.

7) Would we buy another one .???????????????????????????

sorry for the whinge but I will be glade to see the back of 2001

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have a chilli pack cooper,an FTO,a shogun and a Mazda 323gt

of all of them I choose the Mini it is very much an everyday car I love it and nobody will convince me otherwise
this is the first non jap car for years and its the only new car ever,so that must tell you something.

MINI Rules the roost.
get in drive it and enjoy it thats what its for
so come on do your dinger in it

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Sounds like some people should stick to company rep-mobiles then. ;)

Dinger, sorry to hear about your bad news. :(

·
Registered
888 Posts
I use mine everyday... its my only car...

i agree with your point about the steering - its fantastic when you're having fun, but if you're distracted for even a split second the car can be off-line - for example changing CDs on the motorway.

The SSP - yes I agree on this too, but i've got used to it now.

The MPG is the most important aspect and also definitely the most disappointing. This is not an economical car and I don't really see why not...when i read the roadtests they all said the engine was disappointing compared to the rest of the car and I can now see their point - especially given that its a brand new developed engine. My friend with an Ibiza Cupra (150+Bhp turbo) gets better MPG than me at all times - but would I swap? NO!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
mini driving school said:
Definitely an everyday car as long as you have no use for a boot!!
Well, it's not like with a classic Mini where the size of the boot is fixed - I mean on a MINI you can fold down the rear seats and carry a lot, can't you?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Every day car for me, it's my only one too...

I have noticed how dirty the boot gets which is a tad frustrating and the wheels.I've just got into a routine of cleaning my car more!

I hate to see it dirty and while I'm out washing it my Mini gets heaps more admiration from my neighbours into the bargain!

As for the drive I don't have a problem, slight drift, suspension's fine for me and MPG is a little worse than expected, but not enough to put me off driving everywhere!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Everyday Car

I have been using my mini one for a couple of months every day for work. I travel about 1000 miles a week on business and I have to say I was very impressed with it overall. I used it for 6 weeks and covered 7200 miles. The mpg was not that bad. I do do mostly motorway driving but over the 6 weeks is was doing 39mpg which I don't consider bad. I do agree with the steerting,first thing in the morning when you are first starting out it is great, but when you have been driving for 8 hours and you just want to relax it can get a bit of bore. The seats I did not find that bad, after about 3 hours I used to find them a bit unconfortable, but if you stop for a while they were fine. I have now got my compnay car back so the mini is back in the garage, only used at the weekends, butI would have another and I think it is great.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Surely the answer to this question is what do you want from the car & what do you want to use if for :confused: :confused: :confused: :) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do YOU want

Only done 1000 (s)miles now in 12 days.

Great fun, which is why I brought it. So I'm happy. I drive a completely diverse range of cars all over the world. Favourite has to be a Landrover Defender - goes everywhere! But this is a toy for when I'm home.

Very comfortable even with ssp. I like to know what's underneath the tyres so I can adjust my driving style. I prefer bikes but this is the closest yet to two wheel fun on four wheels. Must get a ramp and try the MINI on two wheels sometime :D :D :D

·
MINI2 Freak
122 Posts
Well J3T is now just over three weeks old and I have already covered over 2000 miles. He is my everyday car and I wouldn't change him for the world even with the ssp which I have got used to. I don't find the seats uncomfortable, don't know whether you guys have lumbar support but I got it with the leather and the seats are dead comfortable. The MPG is disappointing even thoug I am driving him hard, I can cover about 300 miles on a full tank. The computer reads about 30 MPG which my calcs corroborate but all the tests show it to be more??

Really wouldn't change him for the world though!

Jon:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
My S (if i still go ahead with it) will be my business vehicle and will be used everyday. The back of my Forester gets filthy quickly, just crappy aerodynamics I guess. The Roof spolier on the S may reduce this problem a little.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Basil said:
My S (if i still go ahead with it) will be my business vehicle and will be used everyday. The back of my Forester gets filthy quickly, just crappy aerodynamics I guess. The Roof spolier on the S may reduce this problem a little.
You don't really believe that the S's roof spoiler is anything but marketing fluff, do you? :) Remember almost all of the other styling cues unique to the Cooper S are blatantly "fake":

1. large lower grill opening 1/3 blocked off
2. Non-functional chrome fuel filler cap
3. a single exhaust pipe leading to twin exhaust tips

As I said before, I think the only way the roof spoiler on the Cooper S will help keep the back of the S cleaner is if gives the person washing the car something to grasp onto while applying the soapy suds. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the S and plan on soon owning one, however, some of the 'styling' is just a little too obvious.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

You don't really believe that the S's roof spoiler is anything but marketing fluff, do you? :) Remember almost all of the other styling cues unique to the Cooper S are blatantly "fake":

1. large lower grill opening 1/3 blocked off
2. Non-functional chrome fuel filler cap
3. a single exhaust pipe leading to twin exhaust tips

As I said before, I think the only way the roof spoiler on the Cooper S will help keep the back of the S cleaner is if gives the person washing the car something to grasp onto while applying the soapy suds. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love the S and plan on soon owning one, however, some of the 'styling' is just a little too obvious.
Ha ha. Well the Rear spoiler that can be fitted to the Forester is designed to direct some of the airflow downwards to keep the rear screen clean. Your probably right, the "S" styling extras are probably just that "styling" I agree, it looks great though. Maybe if the Alpina version ever materialises the air dams and rear spoilers might actually be "functional".

Cheers

·
Registered
546 Posts
The 2nd car that doesn't know its place!!

Bought mine as a second car but it refuses to play that part. I've had it 5 days now and it's been used everyday and has covered over 400 miles. The kids refuse to travel in our "main" car.

My MINI has the standard softer suspension (MINI One) and 15 inch alloys and it feels nicely firm and controlled but rides really well at all speeds: I love the combination of ride and handling. The steering is nicely weighted and the sharp turn in reminds me of AX GT's I owned in years gone by. The difference is the confidence the car gives you after the turn in - stable and neutral through the curves so you hardly lose any speed. I don't find the steering nervous when cruising although I foolishly tried adjusting the wheel height on the move and almost visited a field. Not recommended.

I can't wait until the engine is "run in" so that I can use all the revs.

The only drawback of MINI ownership so far is that just driving around just for the sake of it isn't very ecologically sound!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had my 'One for 3 weeks and done 2900 miles in it. Generally it is a superb drive, you do get used to the steering on motorways and the hard suspension can be shocking sometimes. MPG wise on a recent trip from Somerset to Aberdeen I managed 39 which does not seem bad, considering on the motorways I was averaging 90.

At first I found the seats painful on my lower back but I think I am getting used to them now. I like to consider my Mini to be a 2 seater, fold down the seats and there is plently of room.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts