MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine has a Lotus Elise, and while he says it is the best handling car he has ever had, he finds at low speeds it is a bit dull because it just does exactly what it’s told with no fuss as it is so within it’s limits. He finds it very frustrating on B roads stuck behind other cars that cannot take bends as fast as his Lotus. The only time he really enjoys is it on empty roads where he can then really push it.
Do people have the same experience with their Mini’s? Is it boring at normal speeds compared to an “ordinary car”? Have I made a terible mistake. Should I have bought a Trabant?

Blue and White Pepper Cooper on order, only five weeks to go now. :) :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
No, it's good to know where the car is on many different types of road. It's good to know that if you take a corner a little too quickly for eg, and the bend tightens up halfway through, the car will just turn in and do what you want it to do.
If you fancy some fun in a corner, get a rear wheel drive car, and have fun getting the back in line! :D
If you have to correct it all the time, it can become tedious and tyring.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Never driven a car with TOO much grip or TOO much speed

...I live in hope:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having driven both the old and new mini along with the Lotus Elan, Elise and 111S I have to say that they are all great cars.

The main thing with the mini is that it puts a huge grin on your face when you drive it, it's just sheel class and enjoyment.

The old mini is perhaps one of the best handling cars that you can get this side of an Elise, I drove an Elise and a mini and they were world away from each other but not, it's impossible to explain how they shared a lot (including the chrome window winders! ;) ), but differed so much...

I have to say that much as I like MINI's, and with my order in for a Cooper S and all that, I have to say (and stone me for doing it in this forum if you will) but the Lotus Elise 111s is the most amazing car that I have ever driven, it sh*ts on the normal Elise from great height, it chews other cars (and Elises!) and spits them out! You can't appreciate this car unless you have owned one and I think that your mate is just showing off saying that it's boring, ultimately though it all depends on what you want in car as to what you think of it...

Personally my ideal car is a Lancia Stratos however, at £40k at least for a reasonable one, I can't actually see me ever getting one so I'll just have to make do with what comes along in the mean time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funnily enough, my friend who said the Elise (the earlier one, not the 111) was dull at normal speeds does own a Caterham 7, and he say that IS fun at any speed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Caterham 7

If I could, I'd have the 7 over anything else. One with a hyabusa/blackbird engine, but as I have a couple of children, plus these versions are not very road use friendly, it's out of the question (well, at the moment!).
If you want a car to be as close to a motor bike, but retain 4 wheels, then these will be very hard to beat, and if you've never been out in one (especially on the track) then you're missing out on one of life's pluses.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Would dearly love to own a Caterham myself, however as I'd want to use it as an everday car it is just too rough and ready for this along with the fact that it's no doors, etc. I would have real worries about leaving it anywhere, including the work car park!

If I get a house with a garage and loads of cash the Caterham Academy is top of my list of wants! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts