MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some problems with my exhaust and due to the price of a new BMW exhaust it seems to be better to get a different exhaust and i like the look of the playmini exhaust.

But it causes several problems with my insurance, i am midway Through a policy and don't want to go for a change of broker. Does anyone know if the playmini exhaust is a BMW approved part!?

If not can any suggest a good insurance company for modifications and a 22 year old driver with no claims!?

ta!

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Only exhausts made by BMW are approved - they don't make aftermarket ones approved because they would make less money.:)

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
I have had some problems with my exhaust and due to the price of a new BMW exhaust it seems to be better to get a different exhaust and i like the look of the playmini exhaust.

But it causes several problems with my insurance, i am midway Through a policy and don't want to go for a change of broker. Does anyone know if the playmini exhaust is a BMW approved part!?

If not can any suggest a good insurance company for modifications and a 22 year old driver with no claims!?

ta!
Any modification whether it is BMW approved or not should be reported to your insurance company!

When we had the JCW Sound Kit fitted to our Cooper, the insurance company added £15 pa plus a £10 admin. charge! :hmph:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Is it a performance exhaust, or just a normal one. I'd suggest if its a normal one, tell them you have replaced the exhaust with a nonOEM one, however, there are no performance gains! Best to be safe. If there is a performance increase you really must tell them - they'll just void your insurance if you don't tell them!:)

·
Chilli
2,499 Posts
Before i had mine fitted to the car when she was 6 months old i asked my local BMW dealer if they would be ok with TLC etc me having it and they were :)

·
Chilli
2,499 Posts
Loads of MINI's have exhausts and things and still get to use their TLC vouchers etc Obviously if the exhaust broke or the exhaust made something else brake then it wouldent be covered. But if something went somewhere else they cant blame it on the exhaust! thats what both me and the BMW agreed on :) some wont get that i understand.

Ill be getting TLC XL soon.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Loads of MINI's have exhausts and things and still get to use their TLC vouchers etc Obviously if the exhaust broke or the exhaust made something else brake then it wouldent be covered. But if something went somewhere else they cant blame it on the exhaust! thats what both me and the BMW agreed on :) some wont get that i understand.

Ill be getting TLC XL soon.
Confusing really - how much is a new BMW exhaust, and approximately how long do they last?

·
Registered
460 Posts
new stock cooper exhaust is £265 from memory JCW sound kit for the cooper is about £ 400 - £450 depending on the dealer (cooper s is about £ 460 not sure how much the s works is) in the case of the exhaust you do pay through the nose.

·
Chilli
2,499 Posts
my BMW dealer quoted me for a mild steel exhaust £400 cant remember if that was fitted or not. That wouldent last forever as it would rust. Play MINI exhaust has a life time gaurentee and will never rust as its stainless steel.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
new stock cooper exhaust is £265 from memory JCW sound kit for the cooper is about £ 400 - £450 depending on the dealer (cooper s is about £ 460 not sure how much the s works is) in the case of the exhaust you do pay through the nose.
Doesn't sound too bad! I'd most probably go for the JCW exhaust when the time comes though!:D

·
Millie Cooper S
6 Posts
Hi
I have just bought a 2002 Cooper S with the Hartge performance pack, can anyone recommend an exhaust system please as the one on it needs replacing and I would like some growl........

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Playmini exhaust

I am about to purchase a Playmini exhaust as recomended by many, as my oem has just rusted through!

Anyone have one and which is best, silenced through pipe or unsilenced?

I don't want to wake the neighbours at 7am when I go to work and also don't want to sound like a boyracer (well not anymore, that was 13 years ago!)

Help please?

Mick

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Mick, i have got the silenced link pipe and TT tail and am well pleased with it. I had the same thoughts as you, i didnt want a loud boyracer noise that annoyed me and the neighbours. I would recommend this system as it has a nice subtle deep burble on tick over and low revs but a great sound on opening it up :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took a trip all of 8 miles to the ace chaps at Thinkmini and after a natter will be calling them tomorrow to order an un-silenced Playmini slash cut. Seems a great price and i prefer the look of the PM over Milltek.

very excited!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts