MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I find the price of the S to be quite high and the power of the Cooper insufficient. How much would it cost to get ±160hp out of the Cooper (and how do you do it, do you have to put a supercharger? If so, does anyone offer them already?)?
Thanks
MAF

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
The S makes roughly 50 hp more than the Cooper. It costs $3000 USD more. I know of no way to have a roughly 50 hp (about 40%) increase in power in any motor for $3000 that will not make it explode very quickly and in a quite spectacular fashion. You also get a warranty. If hp is important to you get the S.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
It’s not the horsepower as much as it is the ground-thumping torque of the Cooper S!
Fully 45 lb.-ft. more over a standard Cooper. Lots more than competitors.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
I find the price of the S
Is it worth it? Do fish swim? Heck, yes it's worth it.
There is no way you could purchase a blower and install it for 3k. If you could find someone who manufactured it (which is doubtful) you would instantly void the engine warranty.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Is the S worth it??

Sorry mate but I can't believe you are asking that question:rolleyes:

In the UK anyway it beats nearly all the competition on price, and at £14,500 you will NEVER get a better car for the money. As far as I am concerned it is the bargain of the Century:p

LMB:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
What a daft question.

Of course it is, what a bargain. Apparantly the Clio 172 has just been reduced in price to be more competitive - I don't think so.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The S isn't that great value

The Clio comes with the following as standard:

Climate control
CD
Multichanger
Heated Mirrors
Leather/alcantara seats
Xenon lights

To put all these on the MINI will cost LOADS more than the £16,000 the Clio will set you back.

I reckon my S will be close £18,000.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog G
Of course it is, what a bargain. Apparantly the Clio 172 has just been reduced in price to be more competitive - I don't think so.
Yeah, they can reduce the price all they want, I had a look in a Clio 172 recently, and it was bland to say the least.

I know I may upset a few people here, but whenever I see a clio on the road, I find myself looking at the driver to see how fit she is, cos the new shape is mainly a womens car in my opinion.

Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
What do you talk about guys! Over here in the Netherlands the Clio cost 23.000 EUR and the Cooper S (yes it's confirmed today) will cost a whopping 27.200 EUR, that's 7.250 EUR more than the Cooper... But what the heck, even when a clio cost less then 20, I would still not buy the damn thing!

Roy

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: The S isn't that great value

Cooper_S said:
The Clio comes with the following as standard:

Climate control
CD
Multichanger
Heated Mirrors
Leather/alcantara seats
Xenon lights

To put all these on the MINI will cost LOADS more than the £16,000 the Clio will set you back.

I reckon my S will be close £18,000.
But it is a clio:p

Yuk:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right thats it!!!!!

Whos for starting a Clio 172 bash thread???

Weve already beat the Type R about the mush so much on here lets start on the 172

Things i dont like about the 172

1) Its a Clio
2) Its French
3) Its a Clio
4) Its French
5) Its Bland
6) Have you seen the interior?
7) Wheres the character

That should do for a start

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Cooper_S said:
I know it's a clio and I would not buy one.
Phew:p I was just getting worried for a second. When I joined you were one the biggest advocates of the Cooper S.

Is all I meant was it is very well equipped and makes the Cooper S look expensive.
Depends really on what we get as standard on the S. They haven't yet announced it officially, but if we go by what the press say I think the Cooper S is reasonably equipped. It is £1,500 cheaper than the Clio, so you would be able to use the money you save to buy allot of the gear you mentioned. I think they are evenly matched in price.

What do you think?

LMB:D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by Yurinaut
This is easy for us Yanks. We don't get the Clio here at all. End of laborious decision process.

-Mike
Oh believe me, I think I can speak for the majority of the people in this forum when I say that it was never a laborous decision process as far as the Clio is concerned! :D :D :D :D :D

Andy

·
Registered
431 Posts
LMB, apparantly the Clio gets the following as standard over and above the Cooper S: (prices in brackets are MINI Cooper prices)

Xenon Lights (£350)
Climate Control (£830)
In-Dash CD (205)
CD Changer (235)
1/2 Leather Seats (£430)
Heated Mirrors (£40)
Front Fogs (£90)
Rain-Sensitive Wipers (£100)
Computer (£100)
Metallic Paint (£250)

To add that lot to a Cooper S would cost £2630 (using Cooper Prices). Making your S cost £17130 to the Clio's £15495.

The S will (hopefully) get TLC which the Clio doesn't have.

I really hope they add some more standard kit to the S and some packs (chili or whatever).

Maybe they dont have to. People (me included) will spend whatever MINI decide to charge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: I know it's a clio

Cooper_S said:
I know it's a clio and I would not buy one.

Is all I meant was it is very well equipped and makes the Cooper S look expensive.

I know but the S has bags more character and itll make the 172 look bland and grey and not very exciting
:D

Did i mention that the clio is French?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.