MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I find the price of the S to be quite high and the power of the Cooper insufficient. How much would it cost to get ±160hp out of the Cooper (and how do you do it, do you have to put a supercharger? If so, does anyone offer them already?)?
Thanks
MAF

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
The S makes roughly 50 hp more than the Cooper. It costs $3000 USD more. I know of no way to have a roughly 50 hp (about 40%) increase in power in any motor for $3000 that will not make it explode very quickly and in a quite spectacular fashion. You also get a warranty. If hp is important to you get the S.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
It’s not the horsepower as much as it is the ground-thumping torque of the Cooper S!
Fully 45 lb.-ft. more over a standard Cooper. Lots more than competitors.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
I find the price of the S
Is it worth it? Do fish swim? Heck, yes it's worth it.
There is no way you could purchase a blower and install it for 3k. If you could find someone who manufactured it (which is doubtful) you would instantly void the engine warranty.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What do you think?

Do you realize what forum this is?
What do you think we are going to say about the S!
Of course it is worth it!!!
Get a stripper, still under 20 Large!:D

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Is the S worth it??

Sorry mate but I can't believe you are asking that question:rolleyes:

In the UK anyway it beats nearly all the competition on price, and at £14,500 you will NEVER get a better car for the money. As far as I am concerned it is the bargain of the Century:p

LMB:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
What a daft question.

Of course it is, what a bargain. Apparantly the Clio 172 has just been reduced in price to be more competitive - I don't think so.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The S isn't that great value

The Clio comes with the following as standard:

Climate control
CD
Multichanger
Heated Mirrors
Leather/alcantara seats
Xenon lights

To put all these on the MINI will cost LOADS more than the £16,000 the Clio will set you back.

I reckon my S will be close £18,000.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog G
Of course it is, what a bargain. Apparantly the Clio 172 has just been reduced in price to be more competitive - I don't think so.
Yeah, they can reduce the price all they want, I had a look in a Clio 172 recently, and it was bland to say the least.

I know I may upset a few people here, but whenever I see a clio on the road, I find myself looking at the driver to see how fit she is, cos the new shape is mainly a womens car in my opinion.

Andy

·
Registered
103 Posts
What do you talk about guys! Over here in the Netherlands the Clio cost 23.000 EUR and the Cooper S (yes it's confirmed today) will cost a whopping 27.200 EUR, that's 7.250 EUR more than the Cooper... But what the heck, even when a clio cost less then 20, I would still not buy the damn thing!

Roy

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: The S isn't that great value

Cooper_S said:
The Clio comes with the following as standard:

Climate control
CD
Multichanger
Heated Mirrors
Leather/alcantara seats
Xenon lights

To put all these on the MINI will cost LOADS more than the £16,000 the Clio will set you back.

I reckon my S will be close £18,000.
But it is a clio:p

Yuk:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right thats it!!!!!

Whos for starting a Clio 172 bash thread???

Weve already beat the Type R about the mush so much on here lets start on the 172

Things i dont like about the 172

1) Its a Clio
2) Its French
3) Its a Clio
4) Its French
5) Its Bland
6) Have you seen the interior?
7) Wheres the character

That should do for a start

·
Registered
431 Posts
I know it's a clio

I know it's a clio and I would not buy one.

Is all I meant was it is very well equipped and makes the Cooper S look expensive.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Cooper_S said:
Phew:p I was just getting worried for a second. When I joined you were one the biggest advocates of the Cooper S.

Is all I meant was it is very well equipped and makes the Cooper S look expensive.
Depends really on what we get as standard on the S. They haven't yet announced it officially, but if we go by what the press say I think the Cooper S is reasonably equipped. It is £1,500 cheaper than the Clio, so you would be able to use the money you save to buy allot of the gear you mentioned. I think they are evenly matched in price.

What do you think?

LMB:D

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
This is easy for us Yanks. We don't get the Clio here at all. End of laborious decision process.:D

-Mike

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by Yurinaut
This is easy for us Yanks. We don't get the Clio here at all. End of laborious decision process.

-Mike
Oh believe me, I think I can speak for the majority of the people in this forum when I say that it was never a laborous decision process as far as the Clio is concerned! :D :D :D :D :D

Andy

·
Registered
431 Posts
LMB, apparantly the Clio gets the following as standard over and above the Cooper S: (prices in brackets are MINI Cooper prices)

Xenon Lights (£350)
Climate Control (£830)
In-Dash CD (205)
CD Changer (235)
1/2 Leather Seats (£430)
Heated Mirrors (£40)
Front Fogs (£90)
Rain-Sensitive Wipers (£100)
Computer (£100)
Metallic Paint (£250)

To add that lot to a Cooper S would cost £2630 (using Cooper Prices). Making your S cost £17130 to the Clio's £15495.

The S will (hopefully) get TLC which the Clio doesn't have.

I really hope they add some more standard kit to the S and some packs (chili or whatever).

Maybe they dont have to. People (me included) will spend whatever MINI decide to charge.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: I know it's a clio

Cooper_S said:

I know but the S has bags more character and itll make the 172 look bland and grey and not very exciting
:D

Did i mention that the clio is French?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts