MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really is there a car out there that will turn heads more than a MINI, other than an original Mini?

If these cars do exist, how much did the owner's have to spend?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Some years ago I had an old VW van. I got back to it one day and found more people crowdwd round it than the Lambo parked down the road. Could have had something to do with the paint job - one side painted like the mystery machine from Scooby Doo, the other side with a graveyard scene.

£500 from a mobile DJ.:cool:

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Er....try this...
My previous job (selling Alfas a while back) for a local garage....well we had an SZ, which was amazing ! Turned more heads than any car I have seen !

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good friend of mine and I are having an argument. He has a '58 sliding rag Beetle. Baby blue w/oatmeal colored interior. Gorgeous car. He thinks it will attract more girls than my MINI Cooper S. I think the MINI will attract more, but I think it will be close.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My S2000 attracts quite a lot of attention. I belong to the S2KCA and we've had accidents (other drivers) at some of our drives from people staring at the cars and not paying attention to the road in front of them :( I have a feeling the MINI will attract just as much attention!

Certainly Ferraris, the Lambo Diablo, Vipers, Prowlers are all big-time attention getters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nope!

Has'nt turned the heads with too many ladeeez yet, but that may be my anti-Midus romeo touch. Keep you posted......

Maccy

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
S2000&CooperS said:
My S2000 attracts quite a lot of attention. I belong to the S2KCA and we've had accidents (other drivers) at some of our drives from people staring at the cars and not paying attention to the road in front of them :( I have a feeling the MINI will attract just as much attention!

Certainly Ferraris, the Lambo Diablo, Vipers, Prowlers are all big-time attention getters.
It think it depends on the area, although Vipers and prowlers are very eye-catching, I think the MINI will grab more attention, where I live. In Europe I would Imagine that a viper draws a crowd but around here it's just another mid-life crisis land-yacht. I think that if a new cooper was parked next to a (dare I say it) Ferrari 308, the MINI would get the nod. I live in prime Lawyer Doctor country, however. "Exotic" cars, for the most part, are not all that rare.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Considering the MINI has now been in the UK for a few moths now, I saw some skater type 'youths' having a good look inside and out of a ONE the other day. I was quite impressed that an affordable and getting more familiar car still has such appeal. Bearing in mind that this was just yards from a TVR dealer, where they could have looked at mroe 'exotic' cars. In a nutshell the MINI has that special wow factor. Ferraris, Lambos etc whilst looking flash just shout out 'small genit**s' and have no appeal to me at all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if this will be a flash in the pan, y'know, like the New Beetle, TT, PT Cruiser. It just might. The MINI is entering the market at a very "gimicky" time. All the manufacturers are doing "retro". More are on the way. Ford's T-bird, Chevrolet Bel-Air (if they build it) and so-on

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I don't recall the new beetle ever receiving much attention here, likewise the PT cruiser. I beleive that the MINI has caused suck a wave of interest is down to the controversy factor as well as it's appearance.
True, a lot of maunfacturers are looking to the past. This can be said of the MINI, but it has been underpinned my a superb chassis and BMW have every intention broadening the range. I wonder where VW will go next with the new beetle.

·
Registered
546 Posts
No comparison ...

Spoolin' said:
I wonder if this will be a flash in the pan, y'know, like the New Beetle, TT, PT Cruiser. It just might. The MINI is entering the market at a very "gimicky" time. All the manufacturers are doing "retro
The interest is bound to wane a bit. But the appeal of the MINI is more than skin deep.

The Beetle is just a retro body on a Golf - MINI is on a unique purpose design floorpan not shared elsewhere.

Audi TT (nice car though it is) also shares floorpan and running gear with other more mundane VAG machines.

PT Cruiser - as smartbomb says, I don't think it attracted much favourable attention in the UK.

MINIs retro styling succeeds where few others have by looking ultra modern but capturing the essence of the classic MINI shape. Other retro-look vehicles haven't achieved this (e.g. Rover 75, Jag S Type). Furthermore, the MINI shape is iconic in a way that few others are. Of cars built in past 30 years only the Mini, Beetle, Porsche 911 and 2CV stick in my mind as being in the same instantly recognisable category.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Re: No comparison ...

ricardo said:

The interest is bound to wane a bit. But the appeal of the MINI is more than skin deep.

The Beetle is just a retro body on a Golf - MINI is on a unique purpose design floorpan not shared elsewhere.

Audi TT (nice car though it is) also shares floorpan and running gear with other more mundane VAG machines.

PT Cruiser - as smartbomb says, I don't think it attracted much favourable attention in the UK.

MINIs retro styling succeeds where few others have by looking ultra modern but capturing the essence of the classic MINI shape. Other retro-look vehicles haven't achieved this (e.g. Rover 75, Jag S Type). Furthermore, the MINI shape is iconic in a way that few others are. Of cars built in past 30 years only the Mini, Beetle, Porsche 911 and 2CV stick in my mind as being in the same instantly recognisable category.
I agree Ricardo, I'd also like to add the Saab 9-3 to that list. In the states, the New Beetle took off. VW could not make enough of them. Now they have stagnated. New colors and trim levels have come out in a gimmicky way to keep people interested. I'd hate to see this happen to MINI. VW is planning a convertible which can be viewed on this link.http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4550&n=158,178&sid=178

·
Loves MINI2
855 Posts
Living in South Florida, exotic cars are seen on a daily basis (i.e. Ferrari, Lambo) so they are nothing new to me. But I have to say that I would turn my head if I saw a Lotus Elise or a Porshe GT2!
The MINI will get more looks than ANY other car out there - well for a year or so anyway.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
smartbomb said:
I don't recall the new beetle ever receiving much attention here, likewise the PT cruiser. I beleive that the MINI has caused suck a wave of interest is down to the controversy factor as well as it's appearance.
True, a lot of maunfacturers are looking to the past. This can be said of the MINI, but it has been underpinned my a superb chassis and BMW have every intention broadening the range. I wonder where VW will go next with the new beetle.
I live within yards of a new Beetle and a PT cruiser (which always reminds me of a hearse, but not as cheerful). The MINI has been given far more attention than the others up to now.

As for the other 2 cars, the Beetle has been around for a couple of years now and is a bit old hat in that respect - the PT cruiser just looks odd in my opinion and I think the attention it gets is more in disbelief than in admiration.

Beleive it or not I sometimes have to look twice at new MINI's I see on the road - the 1st glance being an 'is it a very shiny Classic Mini?' type of look and then almost in the same instant, the realisation that it's a new MINI dawns and I then feast my eyes..:)

They're still pretty sparse along my normal driving routes though. On the day I collected it back in October I managed to make someone walk into a streetlamp as they gawped at the car though..:)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
minicoopersgirl said:
Living in South Florida, exotic cars are seen on a daily basis (i.e. Ferrari, Lambo) so they are nothing new to me. But I have to say that I would turn my head if I saw a Lotus Elise or a Porshe GT2!
The MINI will get more looks than ANY other car out there - well for a year or so anyway.
I think it's more attractive than a GT2 Porsche, although the Porsche is very striking. It, for the most part, looks like another 911. Mind you, I'm not arguing which is a better car, I'm talking pure aesthetics here. Head-turning capability.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
I know someone with a PT Cruiser and IMO tthe thing looks dreadful, I keep thinking the Anthill mob will jump out of iot at any moment. The beetle has hit it's peak, in the US and Germany they are as popular as veruccas.
Whenever I see a MINI I think 'wow new MINI' even tho' I have seen a fair few, it still has huge appeal. I hope the euphoria continues as it'll help prices remain highish !
The MINI has succeeded in what it set out to be, whereas bettle and the PT have just become conventional transport.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts