MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've been around the EV scene for a while and my wife and I own a LEAF and a Tesla. The LEAF is not as spry as it used to be and I'm mulling its replacement. One of the things (there are a few) that makes me shy away from a new or newer LEAF is the inability to set the charge limit to anything lower than 100% SoC. I live in the SW USA and I consider this an important feature to prolong battery life. The other is pack thermal control, and I believe the Mini has this.

I peeked at the 2020 SE user manual and did not find a user selectable charge limit, but I thought to confirm my impression.

Thanks all!

-- Eric

·
Registered
Bog standard R56 cooper (2008)
17 Posts
Hi.
Fellow Tesla (3 SR+ 2021) & Leaf owner here.
How are you charging? with a granny plug or a dedicated, branded charge socket of presumably 7kWh pull?
If using a granny plug, how about investing in a simple clockwork on/off / timer as a charger, OR a more modern 13 Amp 2400 watts capacity smart plug? (we use one on a room heater that is capable of dealing with UK 240v in excess of 2400 watts for several years now, no problem, likely you have a basic routine in which you can guesstimate & tweak a set time to bring the S.O.C up to where you want it.

Otherwise many pro install home chargers with decent width SWA have a data cable for internet connectivity & their own app, first though investigate what the standby consumption is & how often data transfer occurs (via a mobile phone sim card in the charger) ..I was shocked to work out for one partcular unit that the standby electric useage amounted to something akin to 0.5 of a megawatt hour (which is both bad design, & go's against the ethos of energy saving, it was a rolec "smart" charger btw) ..check spec, if it is missing ask why.

Having two cars it may be better to get an untethered unit & simply swap cars over having the app controllability sorted.

If you are thinking of installing solar then look at a unit which can harvest rooftop energy (over here that would be a zappi unit if you wish to check it out) ..that has good design, support & low standby consumption.

But lf just granny plug charging (how we do both our cars actually) then the smart plug socket from two feeds if you wish to run cables to 2 cars.

I'd go find my daughters rooms brand & model smart plug, but its a pit of teen mess I'm banned from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you charging?
I have a Grizzl_E 9.6 kW (40 Amp) J1772 EVSE.
It is a 'smart' EVSE connected WIFI and uses OCP 2.1. That standard is still not being used yet to enable the type of charging flexibility I was asking about but I expect it to improve.

I think the question remains pertinent for some people, although my circumstances have changed quite a bit since I first posted:

I ordered a mini-E ... and canceled it a week or two later after getting cold feet from thinking too much about being tied to a BMW dealership. My worries were affirmed when I learned that the car comes with summer tires, and the dealership told me my only option pre-delivery was to buy a $2,000 set of all-seasons from them.

More recently, My wife and I decided to downsize to owning only one all-purpose (for us) car so I sold my Tesla Model 3 and have a Tesla Model Y on order. Between the hitch and hatchback, and of course long range and best in class DC charging, I think it will work out OK, and then we will sell the LEAF.

Obviously no travel plans until the Tesla arrives, but our modest LEAF still handles all our daily chores without drama so we are patiently waiting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts