MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car came from the factory with the engine coolant (I think) filled above the "max line". So, it's been leaking a bit but just now when I was refilling the washer fluid I noticed it's looking particularly messy - I'm afraid to clean it, because I'm aftraid to play with things I don't understand. Here's what it looks like, any advice - or should I just leave it be?

Thanx, Lou x

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
The Coolant level in my cooper has always been above the max line - especially after a service (sometimes over an inch above the max line) and it also has the white powdery residue all over the outside of the reservoir where it has leaked slightly.

I have wiped the reservoir bottle to get it clean again - If you have topped it up I presume you have used either filtered or boiled water!!??

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
I have been told that about an inch above the max line is ok but any higher may put pressure on the seals/gaskets. As long as the coolant level stays between the min and max marks I wouldn't worry too much but if it keeps boiling over or the coolant level starts dropping below the min mark I would go to the dealer. The next time you are driving it for an length of time or get stuck in traffic it might be worth having a glance at the coolant temperature guage on the speedo just to make sure it is in the middle of the dial as per the manual. Hope this helps (even if just a bit!!)

To sum up I would just keep an eye on it from time to time until you are satisfied it is ok - or ask your dealer if you are passing.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
To answer your cleaning question...yes wipe it down with some water and a paper towel. Don't use a sponge that you will re-use, there's possibly some poisonous stuff in there. Of course, wait till the engine is cool.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, well as long as it's not doing any harm, I'm only 250 miles away from a service so I might leave it and let them sort it out...then I'm not to blame if something bad happens

·
No more MINI
126 Posts
After 2 weeks of my purchase to my car, i noticed that the cooling level was below Min. Line,, so I took it to the dealership,, they added coolant and they told me not to worry about it.

2 months later, my car temp goes up to H (Red Line),, i took it to the service departments after I turned it off to cool down,, they inspected it and found that the Coolant thing is leaking because of a defective part from the factory. They had to replace the water pump and all other necessary parts around it.

The service guy said, If I would have ignored it for a week, there would of been a very big large possibility of engine breakdown.

My advice, take a time to have them look at it, just to be on the safe side.

·
mini tech
65 Posts
the level isn't to important in here, as its just an expansion tank... however, when the engines warm it should be half way between min/max. just wiper off any marks where it has overboiled with a damp cloth, or pressure was your engine bay..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.