MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my mini into Sytner today for a pre-MOT safety check £39, plus it has'nt been starting first time just lately and as the warranty is up next week I thought they could take a look at it for me.

They've just called to say they need to keep it in overnight as they have found the power steering pipe was leaking and need to replace it. Then he asked me if I'd had new rear lights and new side lights. Well I have had new clear rear lights but they are the BMW ones and I've only put LED bulbs in the side lights to match the colour of the zenon head lights. He said that the LED bulbs are making the battery flat, hense it not always starting first time. Now before I swapped them over, I read somewhere that they do flicker on and off but I never read that anyone had problems with their battery

Also he did say something about the back ones should be 'red' or something but I didnt quite catch what he said, so will ask tomorrow.

Anyone else have this problem as I know quite a few people have swapped their lights/bulbs?

·
MCS & Cobra 427
46 Posts
He said that the LED bulbs are making the battery flat, hense it not always starting first time.
I don't know exactly which bulbs/lights you are using, but in order for them to make a bettery go flat, they need to be drawing current from the battery when it is parked up OR they are drawing so much current from the battery when you are driving that the alternator cannot charge the battery up quickly enough to compensate for the current loss when you have them on.
In the first case, I doubt this is the problem unless the LED lights are actually on somehow & drawing current when your Mini is parked up ?
In the second case, it may happen but I think it unlikely since LEDs typically are low power devices anyway, although it is a possiblity. Also, if they are draining the battery, it's more likely that your car will start first time rather than second time rather than the other way around ! Starting a car puts a big drain on a battery, so it's more likely that it will be harder to start it the second time rarther than the 1st time if your battery is low.

I'd do a load test on your battery first (you can buy a little gadget for £10 or so from Halfords that will tell you the state of the battery, & whether it is charging, or take it into a tyre/exhaust place where they'll test it for free), this will tell you if the battery is faulty or not charging properly.
Or of course the obvious thing to do is to switch the lights back & see if the problem goes away ?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The rear of the car should show a red relector somewhere if white rear lights are fitted , it is unlikely the LED would cause flat battery ,even if left on -it would take a very long time to flatten a battery

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So many different people have said the same as you two. I am putting the original lights back on for its MOT, later this week and will leave them on for 7-10 days to test them. If battery is still playing up, I shall be doing some complaining :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts