MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Cooper S with 9000 miles has burned 1 quart of oil. Is this excessive for these cars ? I am also noticing a flat black deposit in and around the exlt the tail pipes. Should I report this at my first service ? Also I just noticed a peice of aprox. 1/4 in. diameter nylon string sticking out of the passenger side motor mount. It exits from the middle of the black rubber and loops up around the top of the mount. Looks strange .

Any information would be appreciated before I confront the dealer at the first service .

The car runs fine and I have had no problems so far.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you haven't changed the oil yet, using 1 qt in 9000 miles is quite acceptable in my thoughts.

You're black tail pipes are normal as the MCS runs a very rich air fuel ratio.

As for the string and mount, you'll have to ask the service manager at your dealership.

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
1 qt in 9000 is nothing. You're doing very well in my opinion :)
My last MCS drank 2 litres (roughly 2 qts) in 6000 miles.
Now I've got a RX8 it drinks a litre every 2000 miles :rolleyes:

·
Registered
783 Posts
In the U.S., the standard for new cars, in terms of the definition of "excessive consumption" for warranty purposes, is one quart per thousand miles. I don't if that's SAE talking, or some association of dealers, or what. It was in the Q&A section of Road & Track, some time back.

·
DrJ
170 Posts
I'm also on zero oil used in 12,000 miles and that includes track day action as well.

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
Martin L said:
......Now I've got a RX8 it drinks a litre every 2000 miles :rolleyes:
Yeah, but that's cos it uses Toblerones for pistons........:p :D :D

Seriously, the Wankel engines uses the oil to cool / lube the rotor tips. Without it you'd get less than 2000 miles life out of the engine.......;) :D :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oil Consumption

My understanding from those who know is that some oil consumption is good and those engines that do not burn any oil will suffer additional engine wear. The reason being that for the oil to do its work it has to lubricate the piston rings and therefore some oil will pass by the rings and be burnt off by the spark plugs. Conversly, if no oil passes the rings then lubrication is not as good as it could be.

Tolerances vary quite a lot between different engines and type of driving can have a big effect on consumption. So whilst 1000 miles per pint of oil seems excessive it is not necessarily an indication of a problem unless there are other symptons. :red:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Whoa, not sure I like this explanation. The oil that slips past rings that are not well seated is excess oil. It gets by the rings because they are not optimally seated. The fact is, if there is oil in the engine doing its job properly, the rings never "touch" the cylinder walls as such. The metal is separated at a molecular level such that excess liquid won't flow through. If you are burning a lot of oil, you need a ring job because excess oil is getting through.

Jupiter said:
My understanding from those who know is that some oil consumption is good and those engines that do not burn any oil will suffer additional engine wear. The reason being that for the oil to do its work it has to lubricate the piston rings and therefore some oil will pass by the rings and be burnt off by the spark plugs. Conversly, if no oil passes the rings then lubrication is not as good as it could be.
:red:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.