MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Black / White cooper ordered for 1st sept delivery. I work abroad and so called the dealer yesterday to sort out reg number etc so I can sort my insurance etc in plenty of time.

The guy at the dealer tells me they cant give me a number plate until the car is delivered to them and thats the 27th of August - does this sound a little odd to anyone else? surely most dealers will be able to give you a choice of plates before the car arrives?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Believe that they need a chassis number before they can allocate a reg number. So if they don't know that before they receive it then they can't do it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Esuuv,

are you getting your Mini from Boradoak in Canterbury by any chance ?
Just that was told exactly the same. Delivery on 27th Aug for 1st Sept pickup.

Thanks
Appza

·
Armed to the teeth
182 Posts
I chose my number plate, girl from Snows bmw called me and read out a load of variations and then I chose one. Had the log book a few days before I had my car too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I got the reg number of mine after the car was delivered to the dealer.

A word of warning... if you're insuring through MINI Cover, make sure you let them know the reg asap, they take up to 5 working days to send the certificate of insurance through (and they refuse to fax to the dealer). I had a real problem with them!!!!

Richard.

·
Dark Silver/White
75 Posts
I picked up my convertible last weekend and had a bit of a problem with the insurance. The car was originally due into the dealers on the Thursday for me to pick up on Friday, but I needed the registration number, not the chassis number (which they had had for a week before) to insure it. Knowing what the post is like at the moment, and knowing that the dealer had to have the original insurance document before he would let me have the car I was getting a bit worried. In the end, the dealer said he could register it once the 'certificate of authenticity' had been given to the car, which was done on the Tues am of the week i was picking it up. I phoned the dealer that morning and was given 6 choices of registration, of which I had to choose one straight away. I have to say though that my dealer has been fantastic with me (Derek Woodmans, Blackpool) as I was tending to get a bit neurotic about the whole thing in the end. If your dealer tells you he can't register the car until he actually has it, then he's telling porkies :p

·
Dooper is the dogz!
1,458 Posts
In my case, the day m,y car arrived at the dealer's they rand me with a choice of three registrations from which I could choose one! This seems to be the norm from what I've heard...

·
Tony & Emma
373 Posts
I got the registration number through on saturday for my Cooper that I am picking up on September 1st - I am getting mine directly from the BMW holding yard in Thorne, Doncaster (Not a dealer). Due to the way I am purchasing mine I have to have the insurance documents to them 5 working days prior to collection.

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Your dealer should give you the chassis number so that you can arrange insurance. You do not need a reg no. at this stage as insurance companies will accept a chassis number ;)
As for reg numbers, the way they are allocated nowadays is different to the good old days when dealerships were issued huge blocks of numbers. Now it's done online and when a new number is requested you get a choice of around three but you have a small time window to decide. 15 mins maybe.

·
Dark Silver/White
75 Posts
Not all insurers will accept chassis numbers - I'm currently with Frizzels and they only accept chassis numbers on imports :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
Carolynn
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing