MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have 2 things with my Cooper I don´t like:
1. Temperature dial is not perfectly in center when engine is "normal" hot, it is slightly lower. Anyone more got this and could it be something wrong or is it just bad alignment?

2. Steering-wheel is not straight when the car moves straight forward, is it complicated to correct this or just some screw for the steering-wheel to losen and adjust it? I think the car is not pulling to the right/left but the steering-wheel is turned a little to the right when going straight forward.

Hope u get what I mean above lol, maybe some language errors lol :D .

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a temperature range for normal operation of any engine, so there is nothing to worry about there.

For the second part, sounds like you need a front end alignment. It is easy to fix, by a mechanic with the proper equipment. I don't know if the mis-alignment will become more problematic if not addressed, but it should not be terribly expensive to fix it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
my temp gauge is a little below center.
My wheel was off center and my car was pulling to the right. I ended up needing an allignment. Warrenty wouldn't cover it and it cost me $150.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the temp guage, thats normal. For the steering wheel than if the
car is relatively new it will be carried out under w/tee work but if you have run the car
for a while then it is considered outside the w/tee as you may have hit a pothole or kerb.
Mine was done under w/tee thank goodness as it needs a complete KDF check to
correct. Mine also tracked straight by the way. Don't try taking the steering wheel off,
despite very fine splines you'll end up with it turned to the left. KDF is BMW's very
expensive alignment system. Contact your dealer in a friendly manner :) as they have
the say if it is w/tee covered or not.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tnx for replies. I will not do anything at the moment, but leave it to the first oil service or something.

·
Registered
63 Posts
jonkudla said:
For the second part, sounds like you need a front end alignment. It is easy to fix, by a mechanic with the proper equipment. I don't know if the mis-alignment will become more problematic if not addressed, but it should not be terribly expensive to fix it.

Actually, no special tools required to re-center the wheel from the front suspension, just some large open-end wrenches (spanners).

IIRC, the steering wheel is on a 24 groove splined shaft, so a rotation of one "tooth" would move the wheel fifteen degrees. Unless your steering wheel is WAY off to one side, that's going to be too much movement so removing the steering wheel and reattaching won't help you. However, if you do believe that this is necessary, I urge you to have the dealer reinstall the wheel due to the risk of detonating the airbag.

It's very simple to re-center your wheel from the suspension side of things: Loosen the inner tie rod ends and take one in a certain number of turns (one or two should do it) while turning the other out by exactly the same number of turns. (If you don't turn them both the same # of turns, you've messed up the toe-in of the front suspension.) So which way to turn? If the wheel is off to the right (e.g. "clockwise"), then you'll need to turn the tie rod ends so that they move towards the left of the car (as viewed from the driver's vantage point). Your goal is to draw the wheel in the opposite direction that it now favours.

--
Jon

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jonturner said:
Actually, no special tools required to re-center the wheel from the front suspension, just some large open-end wrenches (spanners).

IIRC, the steering wheel is on a 24 groove splined shaft, so a rotation of one "tooth" would move the wheel fifteen degrees. Unless your steering wheel is WAY off to one side, that's going to be too much movement so removing the steering wheel and reattaching won't help you. However, if you do believe that this is necessary, I urge you to have the dealer reinstall the wheel due to the risk of detonating the airbag.

It's very simple to re-center your wheel from the suspension side of things: Loosen the inner tie rod ends and take one in a certain number of turns (one or two should do it) while turning the other out by exactly the same number of turns. (If you don't turn them both the same # of turns, you've messed up the toe-in of the front suspension.) So which way to turn? If the wheel is off to the right (e.g. "clockwise"), then you'll need to turn the tie rod ends so that they move towards the left of the car (as viewed from the driver's vantage point). Your goal is to draw the wheel in the opposite direction that it now favours.

--
Jon
Tnx for explaining, but I will leave it as it is since it is not that bad really. I will use the car until first oil service (about 1 year from now ) and if I got any problems I will get them fixed at that time. Car it running very good otherwise (hope it lasts :D ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Iamamini
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing