MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post this on here for a while as I don't know if it's normal? Basically, previous to the Cooper D I owned a Bora TDI130 and I've also got a Peugeot Partner HDI diesel van for work. Neither of these engines are as loud as the MINI on either a cold start or general use.

It's worse when the engine's cold as it has a real clatter (probably a bit louder than your average old Transit!) to it but then it settles down a bit and it's not as bad. What worries me a bit though is there seems to be another sound on top of the diesel clatter which sounds more belt-related.

I.e. - if your fan belt's going on a car you get that screaching sound. It's nowhere near as bad as that but it sounds like a muted version of it.

The car was new in December '07 and has since covered 15,000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I can guarantee if I take it straight to BMW they'll be as unhelpful as usual so if I have some other experiences I can give them an indication as to what it may be.

I don't remember it being this bad when I first bought the car. It's something that seems to have gradually got worse.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got a Dec 07 build and yes I find it a bit noisier than other diesels. Some folks on here have said their car is quiet so maybe there's been an improvement in sound insulation on later builds.

Why not ask the dealer if you can drive another Dooper back to back against yours and see if there's a noticeable difference?

What I have found with mine is a general vibration through the car that seems to be making the dash vibrate at 1500-2500 rpm. I'm going to get that looked at in the next service in 4000 miles. Making the first service 12500 miles. I have a feeling an engine mount is not 100% or the exhaust is rubbing against something.

If anyone else is adding comment can they include build date?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got a Dec 07 build and yes I find it a bit noisier than other diesels. Some folks on here have said their car is quiet so maybe there's been an improvement in sound insulation on later builds.

If anyone else is adding comment can they include build date?
Hi

I am on my second Cooper D, this one a July'08 build is noticably quieter than my previous April'07 build (both on the inside and outside), saying that though my original D wasn't too noisey.
I think this may be down to better sound insulation or possible changes that were made to the engine with the introduction of the stop/start system which I did not have on my previous Cooper D.

My previous SEAT diesels were still quieter though, but they were VW TDI engines with a PD system, which I think makes a much nicer (less clattery) engine note to the HDI engines.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Mine is a stop\start type though. On the motorway it's very quiet but it's when you're driving with your window down and the radio off that you can hear it.

Engine noise + hovercraft intercooler coming on randomly = a little bit of embarassment

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I tell you when you notice its loud....

...when you have a Cooper D, get rid of it, get a Cooper S, and then get given a Cooper D as a courtesy car :eek: I honestly couldnt believe it :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
supa-dupa-cooper, thought you were gonna say....

"when you have a Cooper D, get rid of it, get a Cooper S, and then start it one cold morning and it sounds worse than a Cooper D".

Sorry.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This thread has gone a bit off-topic.

It seems only my Cooper D sounds like this then?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine's Dec 07 build as well. It's not as quiet as my old renault clio and it's actually quite noisy. The sound it gives off is very tractor like but i've grown to get used to it now. Though like you say, on motorways it's seriously quiet and v. good!

It's actually in the garage at the moment due to a noisy gearbox... got a call today to say they've fixed it (can't remember what they did) and they fixed something unrelated which they noticed (brake servo making noises??). In the meantime, i've been driving a petrol cooper... gotta say, it's a lot quiter and when engine cuts off when you get out of gear it's hardly noticeable... whereas the Dooper sounds like some sort of dramatic death with a sudden car shake for full effect! In Dooper's defence, the petrol version does have times when it sounds just like my Dooper! (fuel economy is total rubbish and the torque is pants compared to my Dooper... though having it remapped may bias things a little :p)

It's loudish but it shouldn't make any odd noises like you describe... i'd try more than one garage if i were you... not all MINI garages are the same... really can't emphasize this more! Gotta say though, North Oxford MINI gets my vote :)

Despite the Dooper's imperfections it's a cool little car... though a bit over-priced if you ask me. :hmph:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Our Clubman D is a Jan 08 build and has now covered 11,500 miles.
when we first got it, I thought it was very noisy,especially on idle.As it gained more miles it has quietened down quite a lot,and at cruising speed its hard to tell it is a diesel.
But it does still clatter when its cold on idle,and when driving slowly through town with the windows both down,it does sound very agricultural.
I'm going to mention this when I take it in for service next month,and will let you know if anything is done to improve it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine sounds worse than my wifes 14 year old 106 diesel and it seems to be getting louder.
when it was new you wouldn't know it was a diesel, but the fuel consumption is getting much better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
tbf, if your Cooper D is loud its a diesel.....i would expect it to be noisy.....
I think you missed the point. Everyone expects a diesel to be louder than a petrol, that's a given. What many are saying is compared to other diesel cars the Mini diesel seems a bit unrefined. However, this is a difficult one to quantify as it depends very much on perception and expectation.

From memory though I recall road tests of when the Cooper D was launched as being unfavourble in terms of refinement. Autpcar's website says:

"Less impressive is the engine’s noise. Some small diesels are so refined that you’re never normally aware of their power source, but not this one"

·
Registered
10 Posts
tbf, if your Cooper D is loud its a diesel.....i would expect it to be noisy.....

You do know that there are different levels of noise, not just loud and quiet :rolleyes:

My engines really noisy, haven't heard anything else though because the clatter blocks everything else out.
Sorry I can't help further, I have had some respite from the noise in the last week though, that fan thing happened so now my car sounds like a diesel hovercraft instead of a bomber taxi

Honestly, for 18 grand, its a bleedin liberty..... but once bitten ......

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine is also quite nosiy, its going into the dealers on the 20th to be looked at as it does not sound just like engine sound~ there is a kind of gurgle sound on top of the normal engine noise it seems. Took one of the guys out from the dealership in it and he said it almost sounds like its rattling. I know it shouldnt sound like that as my friend has brought a Dooper and although you can hear the engine nosie, his dosn't gurgle like me. Noise is there all the time, more noticeable when cold, but is definatly there whenever the gas pedel is down.

So will fill you guys in as to what they find/do if anything.

Kimmy

·
Registered
267 Posts
I haven't really noticed mine being too noisy (built Nov 07), although now its done 5,500 miles (not many really!) its a bit noisier than when I had it.
I haven't had many fan issues lately (I don't care that its normal, I just hate the sound!) as I've been giving it a run every week or so.

I'm in a bit of a dilema about it anyway at the minute, to keep it or not to keep it....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts