MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Mini Cooper s automatic. Recently my check engine light came on for a p1638 code (throttle body temporarily stuck). The car had no symptoms though and then the light eventually turned off. Every now and then when I was driving the engine half power light would come on for a second or two and turn back off. Still, the car would drive fine. I took it to my mechanic and he was surprised to see me so soon after fixing the issue with the misfire. After talking to him he told me I will most likely need a new throttle body but at this point, but he made it seem like it wasn't a major concern if the car wasn't having severe symptoms. At this point, I have gotten used to the light going on and off. I’ve only had the car for 4 months and had to replace the Vanos solenoid, and deal with an engine misfire so I wasn’t in the mood to repair it immediately since the car was driving fine. Today I was driving, (check engine light on but driving fine) and once I was close to getting back home the car stuttered a bit and the engine half power light came back on and this time it stayed on and went limp mode. Luckily I was Just about two miles away from home and I was able to slowly drive it back. I plugged my scanner in and now I have a p2118 code (throttle actuator control motor) and other codes p11AA, p169f, Now I plan to take it to the mechanic tomorrow and get a new throttle body. Should I be able to drive it to the mechanic that’s 8 miles away if I stay off the freeway? What can I do for my car not to have any more issues or fewer issues? I just want to be able to drive at least a month without having my check engine light come on after a repair. I got a walnut blasting in my calves when I had the misfire and was hoping that would prevent more issues going forward but unfortunately not. Before buying the car I had a mechanic look at the car before buying it and it was fine. Right after buying it, I drove it to Arizona and back from San Diego and everything was fine. A month later it started having issues with the vanos and then the misfire. I’ve had the car for 4 months now and it's one thing after another with it and I've almost spent $1200 on repairs. Are there any tips moving forward? I’m ready to move on and sell it at this point.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts