MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Thanks for your time, I just heard from the dealer that the car in the specs I want will not get delivered until March 05. I have been without wheels for so long that if I can't get what I want in the next month, I will buy something else.

I find it hard to understand why there is such a long time for delivery on a full spec MCS but this is the case. I now take my 50 Grand and go to Subaru.

Thanks for your time. Thanks for your answers. If I see any Coopers about I'll give you a wave and maybe drive with you up a hill.

Good Luck in the future.

All the best.

Stephen.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Had you already placed an order? Try a few different dealers too, it may just be that the particular dealer you have spoken too has already pre-sold their allocation meaning their next available spot is for a March 05 delivery. Give the guys at the smaller dealerships like Canberra, Newcastle, Adelaide etc a call and see what their timing is. It's worth a try...

March is a long long time away. :(

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I was wasting my time with a dealer back in late September, they said if I order my car in October it will be the Dec or Jan production group so by Jan or Feb you should have a car unless it's a cabrio.

Stay away from the Subaru camp, trust me it's not worth it. A MCS can runaround a WRX easily, probably on par with a STi and with the Works kit, blow it away :eek:

Anyway the choice is yours so good luck in the near future :)

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Understandable with the demand, plus the inclusion of the convertible models eating up the 'S' build line. They cant find any stock car with the same specs as you require?

Shame to see you leave the brand cause of the wait, but I can understand your dilemma.

I ordered my MCS at the start of Feb, and picked it up around mid June this year. Though I did have another car at the time.

Good luck with your Subaru :)

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Now let me tell you a story in regards to wait..

Three of my clients bought cars from Japan back in December last year, thru various screw ups with the Government, freight agent/company, Customs and AQIS, they didn't managed to get their car until a few weeks back. They too, don't have a car to runaround when they waited the 9-10 months wait.

Some even bought their cars a year in advance before they're eligible to be imported. Geez, some people have a lot of patience :D

So I am asking, what's the big deal with the 5 months wait? LOL :)

·
Livin' the country life
4,008 Posts
Tell me about w a i t i n g !

"Understandable with the demand, plus the inclusion of the convertible models eating up the 'S' build line."

Don't blame the cabrio gang for this Scotty! :(
I think that you will find that the enormous demand for the Cooper and Cooper S (as well as the cabs) in the good old U S of A will be playing a major part in the lengthy waiting periods that we are now faced with.

I read a post this morning that said you can't get a Cabrio in Arizona till '06!! :confused:

Petrol Spice, as minigolf mentioned try some more dealers, can't hurt to ask.

Good luck with any decision you make.

·
what was the speed limit?
102 Posts
dairyboy, there is no way a mcs cooper works will do over a 05sti im not sure if you have been in both but my photographer friend Cristian brunnelli has a 05 sti and there is no way i get anywhere near him even through twistie roads..our mcs may handle well but the sti has nearly double the power and breaks 3 times better...I would say if your not getting a mcs go the 05 sti because it is a awesome car...Thats what im getting when i sell my mcs soon :D

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
meinamini said:
"Understandable with the demand, plus the inclusion of the convertible models eating up the 'S' build line."

I'm merely referring to the detail of factory division. The factory isnt any larger, and they have no plans to make it any larger, even though there are now 3 new models being added to the lineup of MINIs.

I read somewhere that the runs of the hardtops will be reduced significantly in the near future to serve demand for the chop-tops.

Apologies if it sounded like I blame the convertible directly, but if you chuck 3 new models into a lineup without increasing the build capacity, its going to increase wait times... :(

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
The latest STi I've driven to date is a '04. Maybe they did improve by that much in the '05....sounds like a venture down the Suby dealership this weekend :p

Then again I do have a thing against the Subu boys these days as there's way too many of them spoiling it for others, not to mention the Auto Salon boys making the Suby a laughing pack. Fortunately back in the days when I owned one, it was far better and there wasn't so many coppers running around trying to get you plus Auto Salon special was far and few.

Petrol Spice: have you tried other states? I know quite a few dealer have ordered cars themselves in hoping to sell them as soon as they arrive. What are you after? Maybe I could rock down to my local dealer and ask.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Don't be too quick to blame the USA demand, we have been allocated a certain % of the MINI production from its introduction here and that has not varied. The actual MINI delivery figures in the USA this year are flat because of this. Most dealers here have a 4-10 month wait for an ordered S.

The real issue is that they have one plant for final production and there are more models (ONE, Diesel. Cab, Cooper, Cooper S) than before so the available production is split more ways. BMW has apparently decided to follow Ferrari's idea of keeping production below demand to keep prices up rather than add more production capacity to satisfy demand.

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
Petrol Spice said:
I find it hard to understand why there is such a long time for delivery on a full spec MCS but this is the case. I now take my 50 Grand and go to Subaru.
ummm... it's been like this in Australia for the last two and a half years. :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Subaru :rolleyes:

meinamini said:

Not pointing fingers here, but it's a known fact that the factory capacity required to build ONE cabrio is equivalent to that of TWO S's...

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
It wil be easier to put a roll bar in an STI...

Todd

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Red&blackS said:
It wil be easier to put a roll bar in an STI...

Todd

Hehehehe youll need one if you roll a standard Subie.... I saw an 04 STI roll at Wakefield and well the guy is in a wheel chair now cause the roof collapsed completely and well yeah!!!
Ive seen footage of a MCS without a rollcage roll in similar fashion... the roof pillars are so strong that it only lost a bit of shape.

Nothing against Subies as ive owned 6 of them in various models all of which where the Turbo 4WD version at the time.
Considering i was keeping up with and occasionally passing EVOVIII's at wakefield I think i know what im sticking with.

DUDE Do your self a Favour... get a Low mileage second hand MCS and go wild... spend the savings on your go fast bits. there are a few Ripper cars around at the moment for sale.

You can Lease a car that by the end of the lease is 10 years old... so yeah you dont need to buy a new car.

·
what was the speed limit?
102 Posts
mate if you want a good 2nd hand cooper S im thinking of selling mine soon to buy a 05 STI..mine is a 2004 dark silver with black roof and heaps of factory options...look up my profile if your keen to check it out

1 - 18 of 18 Posts