MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After test driving last week, I have decided that I prefer the Cooper :)

So ppls, how are you all getting along with yours, any problems or niggles with the R56 Coopers?

Also I still need to take one out with Sports Suspension as the one I drove last week was on 16" without SS. I quite liked it to be honest.

My old 04 Cooper had SS and 17" and it was a teeth chattering ride at times but it handled corners well.

Any advice and help would be much appreciated.

I'll be getting a Cooper for a day next month when my local dealership has been refurbed, so I'll take 2 set up out as well. :D

Thanks in advance :)

Oh and what are you getting mpg? :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just got my 57 plate as you might have seen pic’s in other thread…..and loving it. I was going for the Dooper but decided the petrol would be fine with my low mileage.

At least you’ve had a mini before it was all new to me and still getting used to driving it.

Only gripe is that the Intermittent wipers could do with a few time settings as its to quick and I’m finding I’m just doing it manual when needed. With all the Tec on the car it's a surprise that its so poorly thought out.

MPG sitting at 45 just now but the car has only done 1400 miles so still running in.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
WOOOOOHOOOOO Tracie's coming back!! :D :D :D :D :D Haven't seen you in ages! :p

The new Cooper is a lovely little motor ;) Very rev happy :)

The latest ones too seem to be very well built - poppet took an 08 Cooper Clubman down to the south downs this year, it was really well put together :)

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been around, lurking and the odd post :)
My spec is changing daily LOL, and so's the colour. As you can tell I'm no where near ordering just yet :D
I remember you bear hugs well Jon ;) :)

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
Those last 18 months must have been a nightmare! :D

Have a look at my spec, i miss nothing I didn't spec, and what's more, that which I did spec I am extremely pleased that I did.

I do wish that a remote garage door opener had been available though when I ordered mine - that would have been cool.

So all in all I'm a very happy bunny

Oh, and a very big welcome back Tracie. xxx.

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
Great news Tracie :D:D

You won't be dissapointed ;) I really do like the Cooper :)

Coopers have had no real mechanical problems - Well we certainly haven't!! We've only had faults which were car specific, and could have happened to any car, so I would say just go for it ;):D:D

Regarding the SS, it depends really - Our Cooper has 17" Flame Spokes, and no SS, and it rides way better than our old R50 with 16s and SS. Also been in Ian's R56 S, which has Sports Suspension, and 18" wheels, and its ride is hardly any worse than the Cooper on 17 with no SS!!

Hope that helps!! Best of luck :D:D:D

Ollie :)

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
I've had my cooper for about 18months and done just over 20,000mls.

it has sport suspension and 17" flame alloys.

I must admit for the first month I did not like it and was looking at other cars, but I now like it very much and look forward to every trip.

it handles well, is nippy and returns 50mpg on average...............what more could you ask for !!

for me it has brought the fun back into motoring which really has been missing over the last few years, and is a great value for money package which I would recommend to anyone.

·
vroom, vroom!
385 Posts
I've got an 08 cooper with 17" wheels and no sports suspension. Had it 2 months with 1,450 miles on the clock. I think the wearing in is up until 1,250 miles. I've not had any problems with it. Maybe a bit of a rattle from the dash, but nothing else.
Previously, I had an 06 cooper and it isn't a patch on this new model I've got. I love it!!!!
I'm roughly getting 48-49mpg from my Cooper, so I can't complain.
:p

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oohh I'm lovin the sound of everyone's mpg figures :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Tracie
I've got an 08 Cooper with 4k on the clock after 4 months. Returning 48mpg consistently round town. Riding on 16" with no SS and it's perfect for cornering and comfort.
Best of luck specing it, it's half the fun.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone got the sport button?
I have done a search and found a few threads on the topic, but most seem to be on the Cooper S, or they are not that recent a post.

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
Great choice Tracie. Loving my Cooper, but I have to admit I get more like 38mpg as my commute is stop start through London, followed by flooring it up the M3. :D

I couldn't get the sport button as wasn't available on Coopers at first but tried it in a S and would say it is worth it - adds about 10% more fun to the experience!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have done a search and found a few threads on the topic, but most seem to be on the Cooper S, or they are not that recent a post.
I've specced the Sports Button & Seats + 15" Rotators, but not the Sports Suspension. Wanted a softer ride as I drive mostly B & unclassifed roads with road humps & potholes. Delivery early September if you can wait that long for a report.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have both the Sports Button and Sport Seats in my car (57 Dec 07 Build Cooper), not sure if I’d have spec’d the Sports button but hey its there so must try it. I’m going through some of the best driving roads in Scotland next month so might put it on then. :wink:

In truth I’m not really sure what it will do apart from reading from the book.

I do like the Stop –Start, really easy to use and at the right set of multiple lights is great, waited about five minutes the other day at a set and the wee car was sitting there off.

I find there is no lost time when the light change at all. Clutch down your off!!!!

·
BMW CC MINI Register
100 Posts
I have the 'sport' button & wouldn't be without it, love the way it tightens up the steering & throttle response. :D:D

Ian

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the 'sport' button & wouldn't be without it, love the way it tightens up the steering & throttle response. :D:D

Ian

On my trip to Crieff through the Trossachs honestly it would be hard to beat these roads as they are a perfect mix. Anyone that has driven from Aberfoyle over to Crieff will know. Breathtaking scenery as you drive up and over the hills past the many loch’s on twisty roads…..

I’ll certainly put the sport button on………………if I don’t put it on these roads then I will Never use it………..

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well just to update this.
My local Dealer has reopened last week and I went up there Sunday to see if they had a Cooper with SS.
They said they would give me a ring Monday.... I'm still waiting:rolleyes:

You would have thought being a cash buyer and the climate the way it is they would be making more of an effort.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got car, tried Sport button

I've specced the Sports Button & Seats + 15" Rotators, but not the Sports Suspension. Wanted a softer ride as I drive mostly B & unclassifed roads with road humps & potholes. Delivery early September if you can wait that long for a report.
Well, I picked up Katy this morning - reg was dealer selected *K58Y** - looking fine in Pepper White plus blue vipers and it was a lovely dry 20'C outside so here's my first impressions of the Sport button.

Tried it on a 1/2 mile stretch through a tight chicane in a village that opens to a national limit stretch leading into a fast S-bend with a blind entry then about 100 yards to another 30 limit. It's a stretch I've enjoyed hustling the Panda through as its narrow girth slips round the first chicane carrying vital momentum and the nature of the national limit road is such that 50 is probably a safe top speed.

First thing I noticed was the weighted steering through the tight chicane at about 20 mph. It's much heavier at this speed and I'm not sure it's suited to town driving (particularly as I've noticed on test drives that 17" rims weight the steering too, and Katy has only 15" heels). However, the impression of the slight 'dead' spot at straight ahead was reduced, but I'd need some more road time to work out if this was just a case of the different characters of the Panda & Mini.

At the village edge, the transition to national limit begs a dropped cog & right-foot shuffle that was rewarded with an induction roar and rapid forward progress. I'm still short shifting at 3500 rpm but the throttle response is much sharper and the car more eager - there's no torque steer but a definite change in focus towards a sports car. It's a feeling that there's a more direct connection between foot and injector, as if some slope limiter had been backed off . For example, if the foot prods the throttle like this __|-- the 'standard' electronic head decides "No, it's far more eco to do this: __/--" but the sport setting just passes on the __|--.

Once onto the S-bend, entered it at about 30 mph and then gradually fed in the gas through the sweeps and exit. Here the weightier steering was a positive factor and the car gelled, smiles all round & £90 well spent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts