1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the UK Press people....

"MINI gets another 'Job'
05/01/2003

MINI will be bursting onto the big screen this year by starring in a new film called 'The Italian Job'. Though not a remake of the classic original, the new movie draws its inspiration from its legendary namesake, with new MINI likely to steal the show just as it did back in 1968 in a series of action packed car chase scenes and jaw dropping stunts.
Supporting MINI in the film are Mark Wahlberg, Edward Norton, Charlize Theron, Jason Statham, Seth Green, Moss Def and Donald Sutherland. Before the cast were allowed to get their hands on MINI, the film's director F. Gary Gray insisted on sending his actors to a driving school so they could better understand how to work with new MINI.

True to the Italian-based original, the opening scenes of the film are shot in Venice and the Italian Alps but then the film moves swiftly to LA where MINI brought the city to a standstill - two blocks of Hollywood Boulevard were closed down in order to allow filming of what promises to be the most exhilarating and exciting car chase of the year. "We literally controlled those streets for a week, and that's a big deal" said producer Donald De Line. "We had 300 cars and several armoured trucks on the ground, helicopters flying low overhead, and motorcycles and MINIs driving over the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame Sidewalk."

MINIs are used as getaway cars in L.A to carry stolen bars of gold. Weaving in and out of traffic, performing spectacular jumps and even driving down the Hollywood Boulevard subway entrance, the MINIs survive a series of narrow escapes and prove themselves to be the real heroes of the film.

Trevor Houghton-Berry, general manager MINI UK said "Making a new film called 'The Italian Job' is bound to draw comparisons with the classic film. The new 'Italian Job' is definitely inspired by the classic film, but in no way seeks to compete with a movie that is undoubtedly one of the great icons of British cinema. However one thing both films do have in common is a love of the Mini and what a Mini can do, both on and off the road. The car chase scenes are fantastic and it's worth going to see the film just for the MINIs alone."

Three MINIs appear in the film one Chili Red Mini Cooper S, one Pepper White MINI Cooper and one Indi Blue MINI Cooper. BMW Group provided Paramount with 32 MINIs for filming.

'The Italian Job' will be released in the U.S.A at the end of May and will arrive in the UK in September. "

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max: I know about the US release, we have a review in the news (archive) section of MINI2. It's just nice to have official word on the UK release.

Looking forward to seeing it, although I do wonder how it will hold up to the original (or if I should go and enjoy it without beng the typical cynic Brit?).

:)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
But some of us have already seen it at Oxford. ;) :D
Yeah some of you lucky ones have, but wouldn't you like to go to the star studded premier in Leicester Square? Rub shoulders with Charlize T???? I wouldn't mind rubbing something with her...hahahaha.

:D

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rakey said:
Yeah some of you lucky ones have, but wouldn't you like to go to the star studded premier in Leicester Square? Rub shoulders with Charlize T???? I wouldn't mind rubbing something with her...hahahaha.

:D
I was actually asked (not the rubbing bit, to the premier), but I really didn't feel like it.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Lucky for some, perhaps the rubbing would have persuaded you other wise? hahaha :D

Seen it 4 times now, the beauty of having it on DVD, but looking forward to seeing it on the big screen hopefully tomorrow night.

But doubt anything could beat seeing it at the plant.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Rakey- Milcars (Scotthall) still haven't sent out their invites yet. I was in there this morning and they confirmed that they had been delivered to them but hadn't a clue who in the building had them. They are having a showing at the Watford Woodside complex on 19th Sept. Hardly a preview as this is the day it's on general release.
I left them searching the building at Borehamwood with the promise they would sort it out and call me. The usual story with this lot....... :mad:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Simon James said:
Rakey- Milcars (Scotthall) still haven't sent out their invites yet. I was in there this morning and they confirmed that they had been delivered to them but hadn't a clue who in the building had them. They are having a showing at the Watford Woodside complex on 19th Sept. Hardly a preview as this is the day it's on general release.
I left them searching the building at Borehamwood with the promise they would sort it out and call me. The usual story with this lot....... :mad:
GAH!!!! Damn them!!!! Thanks for the update, just been trying to get my car serviced and electric fault sorted on the phone with them, GAH!!!!! Soonest is the 22nd, and I have to sort insurance on a courtesy car?? Never done that with Ford or Citroen before, anyway, don't get me started on that.

Lucky for me, I am in North Yorkshire at the moment so I have been asked by a friend to go to the showing in Carlisle, tomorrow night. :D

But really it wasn't about seeing the film (as already seen it a few times) it was more about getting the package in the post and feeling special, not like a ford driver etc :(

But let me know when you hear anything, as I still would like to get together in Watford to see it again, but more to see other owners :D

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Do you think we ought to organise a MINI2 drive by at the premier at London's Leicester Square on September 15th? ;) :D :D

I think about 100 MINI's would do it! :p :cool:

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
That is a great idea and I'd be up for it as long as it's after 18:30. I don't want to be paying the congestion charge :p
I guess as we can't actually drive into the square we can just drive around the roads near to the square. e.g Charing Cross Road, around traffalger square, Haymarket etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts