MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to achieve a average of 36.7 mpg over the last few days :eek: that took some very slow careful driving with the help of the crusie control and air-con turned off !!

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
Burti said:
I have managed to achieve a average of 36.7 mpg over the last few days :eek: that took some very slow careful driving with the help of the crusie control and air-con turned off !!
WOW! 36.7 mpg! Well, I can say this! I will NEVER be anywhere near that! But it is nice to know, with a motivated motorer, that the MINI can reach that high!

·
Registered
52 Posts
CooperSAZ said:
WOW! 36.7 mpg! Well, I can say this! I will NEVER be anywhere near that! But it is nice to know, with a motivated motorer, that the MINI can reach that high!
I think the U.S. gallon is 20% smaller, so he's actually getting the equivalent of 29.3 miles per U.S. gallon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dinnerlady said:
i thought i would try a relaxing drive to work instead of using every car like personal chicane !!....and besides which i was in convoy following a yellow cooper

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dinnerlady said:
ohh and its a bad habit i picked up from wen i owned a audi diesel, as it couldnt go fast, i would see how many miles i could get from a tank :(

·
Diesel Maniac
16 Posts
Burti said:
ohh and its a bad habit i picked up from wen i owned a audi diesel, as it couldnt go fast, i would see how many miles i could get from a tank :(
I hear that. We are currently getting around 27 US MPGs with our MCS. That's with the lightfoot wife driving it. On my TDI though, I'm getting around 48 US MPG. It's an obsession really...

·
The Lurker
318 Posts
Well, you are beating the living daylights out of me....

I'm in Texas so can't just decide to go without AC...

so I usually see 25-26 mpg.
When I travel 200 miles or more in a day, I've seen 30.

·
The Lurker
318 Posts
plantain said:
I think the U.S. gallon is 20% smaller, so he's actually getting the equivalent of 29.3 miles per U.S. gallon.
You are totally correct! Keep it all in perspective. Even the price per gallon can't be compared without a calculator!!
In 1824, the British abandoned both the Ale and the Wine gallons in favour of the Imperial gallon, based on the volume of 10 pounds of water (which works out at 277.41945 cu in). America, by this time, had already standardised on the Wine Gallon of 231 cubic inches (strictly speaking, this was defined as the volume of a cylinder 6 inches long and 7 inches in diameter, or 230.9070 cubic inches).

The result is that the US gallon is 83.267% of the British gallon. In more usable figures, the British gallon is about a fifth greater than the US gallon, and the US gallon is about 5/6 of the British gallon (or a little under 7 British pints)

As if this didn't impose enough confusion, the Americans have 16 fluid ounces to their pint, whereas the British have 20 fluid ounces to the pint. In the British system, a gallon of water weighs 10lbs, or 160 ounces, and similarly there are 160 fluid ounces in a gallon, or 20 fluid ounces in a pint - from this, it follows that a fluid ounce of water does indeed weigh an ounce.

Therefore, an American fluid ounce is greater than the British fluid ounce by about 4%, and an American flluid ounce of water doesn't weight an ounce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts