MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whether this will cheer anyone up a little bit, but it did me.

I was speaking to my girlfriends dad last night and he works for Mercedes and was telling me about some of the problems they have had with the A class, new C class and most surprisingly, the CLK.

On some CLKs they've been seeing recently all the suspension bottoms out at the same time and the car hits the floor!! and this is a what 40-50 grand car. Some of the other problems with C class' sound very similar to the MINI, ECU problems with windows, windscreen wipers etc..

The difference is that Merc are dealing with them much better, they treat their customers better with loan cars and also each dealer runs cars for three months to iron out problems rather than letting the customers do the testing.

Maybe it's just because the MINI is only a 10-17K car and thats what the cheapest Merc starts at I don't know.

Hope that was vaguely reassuring!!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Cheers Varse..:)

When I had a quiet gripe to my dealer manager the other day he said pretty much the same thing, having been involved with Merc and BMW dealerships over a number of years.

It's still a bit of a bugger to be told 'we told you so' by the dealers though when they didn't (if you see what I mean!:( )..at least they didn't say a word until after they'd got our cash...:(:(

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Dogger said:

Hello Dogger :) wondered where you had got too !!.

A lot of the "problem" MINI's have been replaced with other cars though havn't they ?.

Can't complain too much about that I wouldn't have thought.

cheers

:)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
A lot of the "problem" MINI's have been replaced with other cars though havn't they ?.[/B]

True Basil, I just wish the dealers would be a little more forgiving when it comes to replacements. At the moment it seems you have to prove to them just how traumatised the car has made you before they'll even listen to you..:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
Varse said:
I'm not sure whether this will cheer anyone up a little bit, but it did me.

I was speaking to my girlfriends dad last night and he works for Mercedes and was telling me about some of the problems they have had with the A class, new C class and most surprisingly, the CLK.

On some CLKs they've been seeing recently all the suspension bottoms out at the same time and the car hits the floor!! and this is a what 40-50 grand car. Some of the other problems with C class' sound very similar to the MINI, ECU problems with windows, windscreen wipers etc..

The difference is that Merc are dealing with them much better, they treat their customers better with loan cars and also each dealer runs cars for three months to iron out problems rather than letting the customers do the testing.

Maybe it's just because the MINI is only a 10-17K car and thats what the cheapest Merc starts at I don't know.

Hope that was vaguely reassuring!!
I have a March 99 A class (price range 14-20K)which I will be replacing with a MINI cooper soon. Mine is the post roll over build with the stiffened, lowered suspension and wider tyres. I have had a couple of problems over the last three years:

ABS,ESP and BAS (Brake Assist System): Not working on delivery, I though given it's unstable history, the lights were supposed to stay on all the time! Adjustment made in workshop immediatley. But I suspect PDI wasn't carried out properly.

Notchy second gear: Solutions have ranged from continuing adjustment to the linkage, to the excuse "oh well sir the gear box can take about 7000 miles to bed in". It now has 35000 miles on the clock and I still curse it occasionally coming down from third. However after mentioning it every time it goes in for service I have given up on it. It will become Mercedes problem when the car is returned to them.

Burnt out sunroof motor: Replaced immediatley

Faulty Fuel Gauge: Sender eventually replaced after I authorised a fuel fill up to convine the workshop.

So in my experience some things are dealt with immediatley and some things aren't. The car was designed with a major fault (the inability to avoid ELKSs) which was engineered out at the cost of the handling. According to reports I have read in Auto Express and Auto Car, Mercedes have had a horrendous amount of warrenty claims from both ends of the financial spectrum, the A class and the M class.

Now my car is a pragmatic solution to city driving and is reasonable comfortable on the occasional long haul trip such as the 800 mile sprint to the south of France.

But the MINI thats a completley different kettle of fish, it's like a limpet, a go cart and a "Paul Smith" suit all rolled into one. It's all the things I want but none of the things I want all at the same time (no boot space, no spare wheel and a long list of faults as soon as you drive it out of the showroom). Everyone I know who owns one has problems with it, but it hasn't put them or me off in the slightest. BMW should just get on with it and resolve the design problems and improve the quality control. Then we can all get on with driving and praising the car.

Now where can I find an ELK!

Not ordered yet: Cooper, Chilli, Auto, Sunroof, Air, MD, CD changer.........can't wait!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep he told me all about the fuel sender problems that Mercs seem to be plagued by and it sounds identical to the MINIs. Why can't big car companies manage to make a fuel gauge that actually works, surely it can't be that difficult!!!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Dogger said:

True Basil, I just wish the dealers would be a little more forgiving when it comes to replacements. At the moment it seems you have to prove to them just how traumatised the car has made you before they'll even listen to you..:(
Someone mentioned replacement cars were at the dealers discretion. In oz, most BMW dealerships are franchised and owned by private businessmen. So I would think that replacement cars would be at the blessing of the big BMW man in the sky.....

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
In defence of mercedes and the Aclass

I honestly cannot fault the service or the car we owned for nearly 3 years completely trouble free and the service we recieved from Rawsons Mercedes at Tonbridge was first class as nothing was ever to much trouble,I just hope now we have a MINI Cooper it will be the same story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts