MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I said, over at NEMINI, that it seems to me that many of those we watch who live life so fully and with so much zest leave us far too early.

And we are left, not with a void as much as with a book of memories. But for family, those who lived with, loved, and depended upon this terrific guy, the burden is unfathomable. Didn't know Jackman well, met him at a run in CT and at Ed's services but I do recall the smile and high spirits and I'll remember them. I just can't imagine the pain of those closest to him. This car cult of ours has a reputation of being supportive. I'm sure it will be evident once again.

·
Master of the Dark Arts..
48 Posts
Thank you, Mart, for pointing this thread out to me. I am very sorry to all of Jackman's freinds and family for the horrible loss. My thoughts are with you all. Unfortunately, as I am new to MINI (January), I was not fortunate enough to meet either Ed or Jackman... Thanks again Mart, I greatly look forward to meeting you.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Jackman's obituary is in today's Journal News: Jacksen, John Joseph Jr., "Jackman". I'm going to quote the whole thing as hyperlinks don't last forever.

John Joseph Jacksen, Jr., “Jackman“ Axe, Vox, Poet of Valhalla, NY, died suddenly at 44 on June 25, 2006.

Iona College graduate. Dedicated father of Justin, beloved husband of Jean, wonderful son of Pat and Jack Jacksen, loving brother of Pamela Kaldas, son-inlaw of Anne Weber, grandson-in-law of Margaret Smith. Leaves behind aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cous ins, brother-in-laws, sister-in-laws, friends too many to mention.

John was an avid musi cian and motorcycle and MINI Cooper enthusiast. He enjoyed playing in his rockabilly band, the Cadillac Daddys. He was a dedicated soccer and little league Coach.

John had an incredible zest for life and brought joy and happiness to all he touched. He will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Reposing Hawthorne Funeral Home, Hawthorne, NY, Wednesday, 7 to 9 PM, Thursday 4 to 8 PM. Funeral Mass 10:00 AM Friday, Holy Name of Jesus Church, Valhalla, NY. Interment Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne, NY.

In lieu of flowers, do nations to American Heart Association, 3020 Westchester Avenue, Purchase, NY 10577 or Holy Name of Jesus Church, Valhalla, NY 10595.

HAWTHORNE FUNERAL HOME 21 Stevens Avenue Hawthorne (914) 769-4404 Send condolences at www.hawthornefuneralho me.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Minis in Heaven

Much of my Dad's wake was a blur - after hugging hundreds of people, you seem to lose track of who was there and who wasn't. I will not, however, forget meeting JackMan at the wake. He approached my brothers and I with tearful eyes, showing a stack of pictures that catalogued his adventures with my Dad. I remember how red his eyes were from crying, and how passionately he seemed to think none of it made sense.

I can't imagine how Jackman's life would have been different if he had known he would only be here for another year. I think about how our lives would have changed if we had known my Dad would be leaving last July. If only I hadn't been at the stupid gym when my Dad dropped by my apartment for his last visit. If only I had acted on my whim to drop by the house and leave him a little note to let him know I love him.

I like to think that Jackman, like my Dad, wouldn't have lived his last year any differently. They both seemed to already know how to embrace life and treasure everyday. I like to think that we've all learned a lesson on the importance of relationships, going out of your way to touch someone, to be funny, or to experience a new adventure. I know I did more growing in the past year, than in all of my 25 years prior. I learned how to relax, how to say I love you (to more than just my husband), how to create unforgettable experiences and memories, and certainly, in honor of MaxaMini's legend, how to make people think I'm just a little bit weirder than most people.

Everyday does not really get a little easier. I still cry when I write about my Dad, think about him or talk about him. But, I don't feel a hole in my heart. Instead, that hole has been filled with all the things I do that will make my Dad laugh, smile and be proud.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will all meet again in a much better place. I always thought my Dad wanted to get to heaven before us, so he could build us the perfect house, in a perfect place. Now, I think his plan included creating the perfect Mini club in heaven, too.

I hope Jackman's family knows how much they are loved and thought of.

Love, Kate

·
Pirates in my ear
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That was beautiful, Kate. I'm trying not to cry at my desk. Your dad's passing hit Jackman hard, and if anything, he became even more devoted to his family. I have to think that the two of them are just having a blast right now and someday we'll be able to laugh with them again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very beautiful. I remember how upset Jackman was because when your father called to talk to him, he told him he didn't have the time to talk and he would call him back, but he
never got the chance to speak with him again. I believe they are having an awesome
time together and I could picture them causing a lot of commotion up there in Heaven.:)

Renata

·
I Just Can't Get Enough
49,320 Posts
wonderful words Kate

My condolances to his family and everyone who knew him, i never spoke to him but have of course seen him about, having read the posts here and on NEMINI i can see he was another who was taken from us too soon. :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
To remember....

Although I haven't been "down south" in NY/ CT much lately, many of my early MINI memories include the JackMan. His smile as bright as the chrome MINI parts he was constantly collecting, lit up any room or as it often was parking lot where we gathered.

I also remember him at Ed's service sitting just in front of me and to the right with his hand on his son's back occasionally whispering reassurances and instruction on what to do and this is how you behave as if being there was just another coaching lesson. It was obvious that they were indeed on the "same team". I remember thinking what a great Dad to do this, that all kids should be as lucky to have that kind of support, and what a wonderful way to honor Ed who was the ultimate father.

He will be missed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
22 Participants
ice
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing