MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MiniTorque*****
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I've been running a Janspeed performance manifold and cat in my car and to date have been very happy with it.

Recently though my car was down on power and a funny wavy exhaust noise was coming from the car on WOT so I took it down to 1320 for investigation. Low and behold the cat brick had come loose from the outer casing and was moving about causing a restriction.

I rang Lohen who sold me the manifold/cat and informed them off the problem and they asked what bhp I was running and said they would need to call me back. I didn't hear back so rang back twice before Tom had spoken to Janspeed with the answer that these cats are only rated to 220 bhp. Naturally I was surprised that they would therefore choose to install a 220bhp rated cat on a 225 bhp conversion so unhappy with the fact that I was told my extra power had invalidated my warranty I decided to phone Janspeed direct for comment.

I've phoned Janspeed 3 times now and still have no answer as to whether this cat will be covered under warranty. In their warranty document there is no bhp limit stated so I'm at a loss to see why this won't be covered.

I've given both Lohen and Janspeed the opportunity to explain things and at all times have stayed calm and collected despite having to constantly chase both companies. 2 weeks on though with still no answer I'm left with a knackered cat and having to run a de-cat instead.

TBH I've know lost all faith in both Lohen for providing a part that was stated fit for purpose on their website but that plainly isn't, and with Janspeed for not even knowing what limit their cats run to and for failing to even pick up the phone to keep me informed.

If your reading this and thinking that it should be expected that with over 260 bhp a performance manifold and cat will be run past it's limit, think on. Jove with his 202 bhp has the GTT manifold and cat (the cat is made by the same company that supply Janspeed as the stamps are identical to the one off mine, but the GTT runs 120CPSI high flow cat where as the Janspeed runs 200CPSI high flow cat, stock is 400 CPSI ) and the brick in GTT cat has also come dislodged from the casing in exactly the same way.

Either there is a serious design fault with these cats or the quality has dropped considerably in recent years. Either way at £540 from Lohen (the UK's sole rights distributor) for the manifold and cat, IMO I would think again before purchasing one if your planning on running anything over 200 bhp.

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this.

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
From my dealings with Janspeed direct I am not impressed either, they still owe money from when I had to send my cat back to them for it to be welded as they sent it out not QC checked. Having emailed them numerous times they have agreed to pay me the money but that was about a month ago now and I have not had anything from them.

They should replace your cat under warranty but I wouldn't hold your breath:hmph:

Also I wonder how many cats are being supplied to people who have more than 220bhp? Think Lohen should comment on this as they supplied you with it, but I would think they should get onto Janspeed and question them as its not Lohen's fault really

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Will send \\Chrome// this way as he's got some intresting stories about Janspeed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exctly the same that happened to my Milltek, i had taken it back to AMD to look at as i was sure i could hear a noise. it was only when roland had the engine out that he had the manifold off and found exactly the same as you say with your janspeed, the cat had literally come apart in one lump and was banging around in the box.
Luckily Milltek warrantied it even sent me the new one upfront to roland to fit on the proviso i sent the old one back when finished. Spooky that its happened to both. However mine was 230bhp back then. so maybe its not just your extra power thats done it Ben, Roland thought it could have been the overfueling, but is strange

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Duncanbanana on here got his Miltek cat fixed uner warranty.

So long as car is not tracked :)

·
dyno-mite, might not....
1,037 Posts
cant be right, how can exhaust gas from a 220 bhp conversion be ok yet 250 bhp destroy a product, when that 30 hp could be gained by a cooler/denser intake charge, and more efficient burn, and if unburnt fuel is doing it, and a mini ecu is designed to overfuel for "cooling " pop and burble
then they are selling something not fit for purpose irrespective of bhp :aargh:

so this all sounds a load of boswollocks to me :frown:....... here are some website quotes

"Take a look around and find out more about Janspeed and what we could do for you." :xptq3c:

"Whether you are on the track, in the showroom or just out on the road Janspeed products can make your vehicle stand out from the crowd! Our team are driven by all the latest technology and can move swiftly from drawing board on to prototype and then onto full production. With our departments working together like the parts of our engines, in total oil greased harmony! Janspeed have the ability to extend practically limitless possibilities to clients."

unless you own a mini :bad:
perhaps the mini market is not that important to janspeed :frown3qg:

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I love the word "boswollocks" :biggrin:

I presume that Janspeed buy their cats in? if they do they might be able to cure it with better quality cats but that'll mean the price will go up.

Glad you had better luck with yours Ant, fair play to Milltek, how long had you had yours on?

·
MiniTorque*****
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is exctly the same that happened to my Milltek, i had taken it back to AMD to look at as i was sure i could hear a noise. it was only when roland had the engine out that he had the manifold off and found exactly the same as you say with your janspeed, the cat had literally come apart in one lump and was banging around in the box.
Luckily Milltek warrantied it even sent me the new one upfront to roland to fit on the proviso i sent the old one back when finished. Spooky that its happened to both. However mine was 230bhp back then. so maybe its not just your extra power thats done it Ben, Roland thought it could have been the overfueling, but is strange
Good to know it's happened elsewhere, maybe their cats come from the same place that Janspeed and GTT get theirs. Nice to see Milltek warranted yours too. The thing is the cat brick is fine, its not melted at all so its not like its burning excess fuel and melting it.

Oh well, lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
mine was on 12months to the day (i kid you not!!) even worse bit is Pikeys broke into my garage recently and stole my old standard one, so not even a spare now

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Is this always the danger when putting a performance manifold on, that the cat will be a piece of junk :confused: ?. Or do some manifolds have quality cats you can be rellied upon ?.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is this always the danger when putting a performance manifold on, that the cat will be a piece of junk :confused: ?. Or do some manifolds have quality cats you can be rellied upon ?.
not always, this was a case of a cat not meeting the user requirements, as think we have been bolting on cats and exhausts to our cars that have all usually been developed on stock minis.

Its not a surprise to me that this has been happening on higher power cars, its also why i haven't added and exhaust supplier to my store yet as im in talks with one at present (not janspeed or millteck) to develop not 1 but a few matched systems for various out puts and also matched to cam upgrade ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts