MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Thinking of getting an JCW airbox and was wondering what the performance gains on it were?

The car is an 06 cooper s which is totall standard and was wondering if this was a wrthwhile addition to start the tuning process, but no affect the warranty?

Thought id start with this, then keep an eye out for a JCW exhaust before getting the pulley changed next year.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
just on its own its not really noticable performance wise...sounds good though

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had it done before having a hartge conversion....over 4500 rpm it did feel differnt as the actuated flap opens up to aid induction . Nice official mod

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it worth the £250 then if there are no real power gains and only noise??

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say that it is a good official mod and worth £250, i heard it added 2 bhp at peak power, the way I look at it mini must have thought the standard air box wasn't suitable for a jcw mini with more performance.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I and took out the flap and swapped the filter out for a ITG. Stunning sound and anything that allows better flow of air than stock and is SEALED from engine heat (unlike most others on the market) will only help you keep the IAT (intake air temperature) down.

I had this fitted at the same time as 380cc injectors and it made a difference in response, smoothness and felt stronger at the top end. I guess an improvement in IAT stopped some ignition timing removal at top end (when IAT go over 60 deg celisus you lose power as the engine tries to protect itself) and the injectors pumped in a bit more fuel top end to stop the fuel leaning out too much.

I got everything (Airbox, ITG and Injectors) for £370 inc delivery (from US) and I was happy with the sound alone let alone any improvement in performance :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thinking long term though im guessing that there would be additional benefits when teamed up with a Lohen upgrade etc?

Plan to have the car for a bit and want to up the power & noise a little!

·
Registered
460 Posts
as batou said it works better when mated with an ITG filter, but in all honesty your better off cost to power gain wise with a panel filter we tested two different induction kits on our cooper s and on the road they felt the same or less than an K&N panel filter.

james

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blimey .. cheers for that James!

Sounds like its £250 best left in my pocket then buying the JCW airbox then!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Found the same thing with my old Cooper, different kettle of fish I know, but along the same lines.....

Had a K&N Typhoon Induction kit fitted, which sounded great, but I was sure it actually reduced performance.... in the end swapped back to a standard airbox with a foam filter from MiniMania and the increase in responsiveness was amazing.

In my Cooper S now, I'm just running an ITG panel filter, does sound a wee bit better than stock, and the car feels good for it too.

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
I run the JCW air box on my car and think it works (no pun intended:biggrin:) well. As for bhp gains, I would be surprised if you got 3 bhp but it does look good being an approved part under the bonnet and as said above it is sealed from the engine bay which is a + in my book.

I am still on the stock paper JCW filter but will switch to an ITG one when need a filter change.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Found the same thing with my old Cooper, different kettle of fish I know, but along the same lines.....

Had a K&N Typhoon Induction kit fitted, which sounded great, but I was sure it actually reduced performance.... in the end swapped back to a standard airbox with a foam filter from MiniMania and the increase in responsiveness was amazing.

In my Cooper S now, I'm just running an ITG panel filter, does sound a wee bit better than stock, and the car feels good for it too.
ITG are the way forward imo, the stock intake works with a panel filter, next thing to look at its heat soak on the intake pipe, some cool tape of a intake jacket while not pretty is still a lot cheaper than an induction kit, were testing a couple on our S over the summer.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Must admit..... today it hit 28 degrees down here in the tropical south, and my poor S felt decidedly laggy..... roll on winter again! :p

That is despite it pulling 181.4 bhp when stock in a 25 degree dyno cell :eek:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Must admit..... today it hit 28 degrees down here in the tropical south, and my poor S felt decidedly laggy..... roll on winter again! :p

That is despite it pulling 181.4 bhp when stock in a 25 degree dyno cell :eek:
now to do with the filter, all down to IAT, best way to address that is with an uprated intercooler i have 1 GRS on order for a customer already ;) :D

were also going to be experimenting with the m7 aero gel shields we sell on our cooper s and with a heat sleeve on the intake pipe, and some other heat reduction methods over the summer, power is one thing keeping the motor running cool and that IAT (intake air temps) down is another

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
That's the problem, a GRS does stick out like a sore thumb and instantly screams modified engine. As I say, next June, out of warranty, and a new I/C in time for summer ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts