MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to change my current 17" S-Lites on my MCS to the new JCW 18" wheels.

They are bigger but still lighter than the S-lites and of course they look the part. I would like however to not have the runflats installed but on checking the faqs I see there's only tires in the 215 size for 18" wheels. Isn't there any 205 non-runflat tires for 18" (JCW) wheels? If so what do you recommend?

I figure I could save a few more pounds/kg per corner ending up with a sportier look and lower unsprung weight to boot!

·
Deserter Zed
2,204 Posts
lusomini said:
I'm planning to change my current 17" S-Lites on my MCS to the new JCW 18" wheels.

They are bigger but still lighter than the S-lites and of course they look the part. I would like however to not have the runflats installed but on checking the faqs I see there's only tires in the 215 size for 18" wheels. Isn't there any 205 non-runflat tires for 18" (JCW) wheels? If so what do you recommend?

I figure I could save a few more pounds/kg per corner ending up with a sportier look and lower unsprung weight to boot!
215/35/18's will fit on and give near enought the correct rolling radius

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
i've been lookin into this also. bmw were very helpful and said that they could only supply run-flat tyres but if i bought the tyres elsewhere they would be happy to fit them for me at the same time as the wheels.

i asked about 215/35/18 and 215/40/18 and they said both would be fine.

might vary from dealer to dealer so i'd check first.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
lusomini said:
Isn't there any 205 non-runflat tires for 18" (JCW) wheels? If so what do you recommend?
205/40-18 Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST is the standard fitment for the JCW wheel.

I doubt you'll find many tire choices in this size.

A Members List Advanced Search reveals two members running conventional tires in this size:
fab - Nitto Neo Gen
Zippster - Michelin Pilot Sport
I also found Toyo Proxes 4 in this size.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've sent an email to John Cooper about this issue, here's the reply:

"The 18inch Works only come with the run flat tyres the come already fitted with those tyres. These have been set up by BMW. There is no other tyre to go with this wheel at this time"

Apparently the only option, maybe there is safe issues if you go for a different tire(?)

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
All OEM wheels 16" or larger are fitted with run-flats, but you can put convential tires on them.

As I pointed out in my previous post, there aren't many tire choices in 205/40-18.

There are at least 3 members running 215 tires on their JCW wheels:

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
18s on JCW wheels

MINIAC said:
All OEM wheels 16" or larger are fitted with run-flats, but you can put convential tires on them.

As I pointed out in my previous post, there aren't many tire choices in 205/40-18.

There are at least 3 members running 215 tires on their JCW wheels:
I followed this thread with some interest but all seems to have gone quiet. Maybe it's the Christmas effect. Does anybody have some new thoughts on the question of non-RFs on the JCW 18s? Anybody running 215/35-18 Toyo Proxes T1-R?

Cheers ;)

Fraz

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
I'm seriously considering changing tyres, dont know if I can wait until the Dunlop RFs actually need replacing!

I have the JCW 18" and the roads are not the greatest where I live, someone must have the 215/35-18 Toyo Proxes T1-R on the JCW 18s? Should make the ride much more improved surely?

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
in relation to the above 2 posts.........

as were running such a low profile anyway I can't really see non runflats making a huge difference to ride quality....:confused:

the only improvements maybe a bit more grip but in all fairness I find the dunlops very good in the dry and slightly cheaper to replace :)

(i'll send sum one yer way who's running falcons in 215/35 x 18)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Cheers Redun :rolleyes: I have the 215/35 R18 Falkens 451's, and they're reinforced (where the Toyo's are not :( ) and the ride is 1000% better, and 1000% quieter then the RF's. The Tyre technician at MINI said although the tyres are not runflats the reinforcement helps if I say have to do a few miles on a flat. The tyre would be ruined but the rim should still be protected from all but the worst surfaces.

However the grip in the dry isn't quiet as good as the dunlops, but then again 5000 miles out of the dunlops is pathetic, Ive already done 10000 miles with these and expect another 7 or 8 k.

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
I find it easy to wheelspin and slide round roundabouts in the Dunlop RFs :)

Think 215/3 R18 Toyo's are what I fancy, I presume you waited until your RFs needed replacing before getting normal tyres?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I too am thinking of replacing my 18" runflats,is it recomended to mix non runflat and runflat together,ie 215/35 non runflats on the front when my current dunlops are shot.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I replaced my Dunlops with 215 40 18 non runflats and 4000 miles later they are fine - as new infact which is more than I can say for the Dunlops. They are cheapo Wanli S1099 tyres I think they were about £70 each.

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
Ride would be interesting with normal tyres on the front and RFs on the back. Wonder if I can get any money for current RFs got 800 miles on them....

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
andeh said:
I find it easy to wheelspin and slide round roundabouts in the Dunlop RFs :)

Think 215/3 R18 Toyo's are what I fancy, I presume you waited until your RFs needed replacing before getting normal tyres?
in the wet or dry?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Damo said:
Cheers Redun :rolleyes: I have the 215/35 R18 Falkens 451's, and they're reinforced (where the Toyo's are not :( ) and the ride is 1000% better, and 1000% quieter then the RF's. The Tyre technician at MINI said although the tyres are not runflats the reinforcement helps if I say have to do a few miles on a flat. The tyre would be ruined but the rim should still be protected from all but the worst surfaces.

However the grip in the dry isn't quiet as good as the dunlops, but then again 5000 miles out of the dunlops is pathetic, Ive already done 10000 miles with these and expect another 7 or 8 k.
You not drivin it hard enuf then
Hapy new year

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
Popped into my dealer see how my rattles fix was getting on, and got a quote for replacement Dunlop 205/40 18" runflats... £200.00 ish a piece :) hoho I think not!!

I asked if i bought my own tyres would BMW fit them... answer no, as if the car handling incorrectly you and u crashed, you could sue BMW as they fitted them... oh well

Anyone know of a reputable tyre fitter in the North West.. pref manchester area?

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
RedUn said:
in the wet or dry?? :confused:
In the wet... start to glide a little sideways if you give it some round a large roundabout with the RFs. Quite strange for front wheel drive as you would expect understeer.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
andeh said:
In the wet... start to glide a little sideways if you give it some round a large roundabout with the RFs. Quite strange for front wheel drive as you would expect understeer.
Think youll find thats the MINI's superb handling as opposed to the tyre. It 4 wheel drifts rather than understeers unles you realy balls it up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts