MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Li'l ol' wine drinker, me
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wish to report that I've fitted 215/40 R18 Falken 451's on the JCW 18's.

I've not used the 'lock limiter', have driven the car for a few weeks, and have had no issue with fouling.

It seems that the limiter is not needed unless you are driving at the extreme end of the cars performance, (maybe a bumpy race track).

I have standard MCS suspensions btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have 215/40/18 and the rack limiter, mine are fine too and the ride is much softer.

·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vron said:
I have 215/40/18 and the rack limiter, mine are fine too and the ride is much softer.
What brand of tyres are you using?

Mine are Falkens, they seem OK but not brilliant. I have Goodyear GS D3's on my 16's and I find them very good.

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
what is the purpose of the limiter kit?

is it just to stop the wheels rubbing on the inside of the arches when on full lock?

is it gonna save me any money if i dont get it fitted?

sorry for all the questions but i'd rather know if i could do without something if it aint gonna make that much difference to the car.

by the way, my cars on eibachs if that makes any difference. ;)

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
For warranty reasons apparently you MUST have the limiter kit fitted. BMW are not SUPPOSED to fit the wheels without fitting the limiter kit and they give you a nice little certificate and all that.

Having said that, when I had my wheels fitted, they forgot and I have 30mm lowered suspension and I have never had an issue with rubbing etc. The ride quality is terrible (according to everyone else!) as the suspension is stiff and the runflats dont help but I love it!!

Jones! :D

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
cheers jones.

gonna try and get the wheels without runflats to avoid the over harsh ride. like u i dont mind it that much but sick of other folk moanin!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I also have the 18" JCW wheels/ with Dunlop runflats and have had no issues after 7500 miles. When the JCW suspension becomes available early next year I may have it fitted when it gets fitted.

Nice

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I'd be intrested in how much room you have with those tyres. I have the 215/35 R18 Falken 451's on mine and find them great in the dry (although the dunlop run flats where awesome) but in the wet they're a massive improvement on the Dunlops.

Anyway I have Eibachs (Same as Jones's AC Schnitzers) and was hoping there'd be some room for 215/40's, but the 215/35's I have are reinforced and the 215/40's woudn't be.

Decisions Decisions. And then there is the fact that Pirelli do do a P Zero Nero in 215/35 anyway so why am I bothering in asking...well 215/40 is usually cheaper than 215/35, and 215/35 is a :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: to fit so maybe 215/40 would be good if I paint them white.

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
Damo said:
I'd be intrested in how much room you have with those tyres. I have the 215/35 R18 Falken 451's on mine and find them great in the dry (although the dunlop run flats where awesome) but in the wet they're a massive improvement on the Dunlops.

Anyway I have Eibachs (Same as Jones's AC Schnitzers) and was hoping there'd be some room for 215/40's, but the 215/35's I have are reinforced and the 215/40's woudn't be.

Decisions Decisions. And then there is the fact that Pirelli do do a P Zero Nero in 215/35 anyway so why am I bothering in asking...well 215/40 is usually cheaper than 215/35, and 215/35 is a :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: to fit so maybe 215/40 would be good if I paint them white.
Was quite interesting as I went to Kwik Fit the other day to get my wheels rotated and they said not to bother. They measured the tread and said I have about 5mm left on the front and 6-7mm left on the back...!!

I was amazed as to my untrained eye it only looks about 2-3mm on the fronts! He recommended selling the runflats as a set if I want P Zero Nero's right now or otherwise I could get about another 4000-5000 miles out of them!! :D Happy day!

But I want the Pirrelli's!!!

Jones! :D

·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Davislove3rd said:
looking good guys, how do you find the JCW rims handle over the bumpy B roads?
Hi there,

I usually use 16'' x lites with Goodyear F1 GS-D3 205X50/16's for everyday driving, (our roads are quite rough in places). In comparison to this set up, the 18'' are markedly harsher but not intolerably so.

When I put on the 18''s I'm quite prepared to accept the reduction in ride quality for the looks, but for performance the 16''s are much better.

regards,
Tim

·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damo said:
I'd be intrested in how much room you have with those tyres.
The offset on the JCW is 52, (quite high), so the wheels do not stick out as far as ones with a smaller offset.

There may be a rubbing issue with 215X40's at the rear is the offset is low, (maybe 35-39?), but there seems to be plenty clearance with the JCW's.

Hope this helps,

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts