MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Gone Outside To Play
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, let's start this new thread. Looks like we have 3 to 4 potential buyers for the R56 JCW Aero kit.

Yeah, probably starting a new thread when you have some details would be a good idea!

Well, 420 was what BMW quoted for just the one side skirt. Painting and fitting would prob be another few hundred.

Some places in the states and UK had factory painted parts, which would end up a little cheaper but there was the inevitable shipping problems/tax/etc.

Let's see how we go.
Getting the pre-painted ones is a great idea. :)

Hmm pre-painted would be a good idea, saves an inevitably large expense here. I heard they're pretty much user fittable anyway.

You don't remember what outfits that was? Might be worth a look at the same time.
Yes, I will be wanting to do the installation myself. The How-To is here http://motoringfile.com/howto/jcw_aero_kit.pdf. Looks easy enough and will be fun to do.

·
trust me, I'm a doctor...
258 Posts
Whoops, just posted in the other thread...!

Yeah I wanted the pre-painted... better match and the plastic bits (that continue from the wheel arch) are actually plastic, not textured paint to 'look' like plastic.

Some place called Classic MINI:

Classic MINI in the states said:

David,
If you want your aero kit pre-painted, you will need to purchase the kit piece by piece.
Front cover retail $725.00 / nam price $580.00
Rear cover retail $790.00 / nam price $632.00
Side skirts retail $324.00ea / nam price $259.20ea.
Thank you,
Jayson-Classic MINI

Yes, they are painted in England at the factory.
Sorry, we do not ship to Australia.
Thank you,
Jayson-Classic MINI
NAM is another mini forum MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring

There was another place in the UK called Derek Woodman MINI who do deals on everything http://www.mini2.com/forum/derek-woodman-mini/

And another in the UK Minisport
Mini Sport Ltd Exterior Styling
but it looks like they only had the gen 1 R53 kits.

Anyway, none of these places shipped to Aus, so I kinda gave up and was also busy, so haven't had time to look into it for a while... until I saw this thread!

Lurks, Works8 have a go with these and see how you go... may have better luck than me!

Yes, I will be wanting to do the installation myself. The How-To is here http://motoringfile.com/howto/jcw_aero_kit.pdf. Looks easy enough and will be fun to do.
Can't be too hard! Every mod in my car has been DIY so far...! With a lot of heart-stopping moments!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Righty ho, thanks for that. I'll start reaching out and see what can be done. Generally they wont ship to Australia since it's not worth their time. But if it's a lot of stuff and/or you organise the difficult bit like shipping then their objection ought to evaporate.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I've spoken with a good number of freight forwarders in the UK re shipping and nearly all agreed the front and rear bar isn't a hassle while the side skirt is. No idea why but anything that's longer than 170cm in length will cost a metric shitload more than anything that's under.

Recently I've purchased a front and rear aero bar for my R53 from the UK and shipping only ended up costing 150 quid via Parcel Force/Royal Mail. Took a week too so that's fairly fast.

·
258 Posts
Hey Noob... was that from Minisport? Pre-painted?

I remember you saying a long time ago that you were thinking about it but had shipping issues.

Is that 150pounds, or 150AUD?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Derek Woodman's do ship overseas but the shipping prices are really high!

i got quoted 305pounds shipping for a jcw drilled/slotted rotors, brake pads, scoop, mirror caps, and other interior bits.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Hey Noob... was that from Minisport? Pre-painted?

I remember you saying a long time ago that you were thinking about it but had shipping issues.

Is that 150pounds, or 150AUD?
Off eBay actually and it's not in my colour (one in CR and one in EB) so it will need to be painted. Either way, the cost of them shipped still isn't anywhere near the cost of either of those bars if purchased locally. 150 pounds for freight.

·
258 Posts
Off eBay actually and it's not in my colour (one in CR and one in EB) so it will need to be painted. Either way, the cost of them shipped still isn't anywhere near the cost of either of those bars if purchased locally. 150 pounds for freight.
Thanks nOOb. Prob wasn't the minisport ebay page then.

150 punds is a great price for shipping!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep. Well I don't like the rest of JCW either :)

I was enquiring just about the skirts. This guy in the UK reckons the shipping issue is the volume. If they were stacked into eachother then overall shipping cost would be kept right down.

In terms of cost it's less than $500 for a pair. Versus $800US a pair for JCW. And something like $2,300 to buy them from the dealer in Oz.

So the question is, who would pony up? I definately would. I mean the shipping can't be *that* much to take it into this sort of territory. It's probably $400 all told or something.

·
Gone Outside To Play
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Well I don't like the rest of JCW either :)

I was enquiring just about the skirts. This guy in the UK reckons the shipping issue is the volume. If they were stacked into eachother then overall shipping cost would be kept right down.

In terms of cost it's less than $500 for a pair. Versus $800US a pair for JCW. And something like $2,300 to buy them from the dealer in Oz.

So the question is, who would pony up? I definately would. I mean the shipping can't be *that* much to take it into this sort of territory. It's probably $400 all told or something.
+1 if the price is reasonable. Good work Lurks.

·
258 Posts
Any updates?

My gf went to the X6 launch and was talking to one of the MINI dealers - to cut a long story short, he said that he could get discounted MINI parts from the UK. I'm still waiting on some prices, but will let you guys know!

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Sounds great, might pick up a pair of aero skirts if the price is decent.

Ninja edit: ask if they can get their hands on some E30 M-tech kit as well...not that I am getting my hopes up.

·
Gone Outside To Play
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any updates?

My gf went to the X6 launch and was talking to one of the MINI dealers - to cut a long story short, he said that he could get discounted MINI parts from the UK. I'm still waiting on some prices, but will let you guys know!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Based on 5 of the after-market skirts I linked earlier.

£225 x 4 = 2,427.16
duty 5% = $121.36
£200 shipping = $431.39
sub total = 2979.91
gst 10% = 297.99
grand total: $3277.90

$655.58 each

These wouldn't be painted. So they'd need painting. BMW dealership price on getting JCW side skirts, painting and fitting was about $2,600.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts