MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes , it works great.Drove around for a few days and loved it when the flap opened up at 4500rpm but for every day driving i don't hit 4500 rpm that often so had a mini expert tell me i should remove the flap and enjoy it at every rpm range.I had him do the mod and now it's working at full potential all the time , so much better for every day driving :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
To make it open all the time my mechanic just removed the flap.I don't know if you can really feel a 5 hp(if what they claim is true) difference but it does feel smoother and that nice high pitched sound(like a dentists drill) that used to only happen after 4500rpm now happens all the time. I did the airbox because it really helps if your going to do the pulley and ECU upgrade.I have now done the pulley(15% WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE :D :D) and am trying to decide which ECU upgrade i am going to go with . I do like the idea of the Shark & The AMD (being able to reflash my car back to stock whenever i need to ) but get the impression they are not as good as the [other], any thoughts ?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Fabio said:
Hi

Has anybody fitted the new JCW Air Filter to a standard Cooper S???

Fabio
I drove one today that had it fitted. It did feel a bit nippier and sounded sportier too.:cool:

·
SuperCooper S
50 Posts
How does the JCW Intake compare to the Full JCW Pack?

Hey,

Bit of an extension to the original question, but does anyone know if fitting the new JCW Intake to a standard S makes it sound anything like the full JCW kit? i.e. the supercharger whine.

I know this probably wishful thinking, but I really can't stretch to the full JCW pack.

Cheers

J. :dark:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would also be interested in doing this. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get this item and have it fitted?

·
SuperCooper S
50 Posts
So how does it sound?

Was it worth it?

J.

·
Registered
183 Posts
well I've moved on recently but speaking about the JCW filter only...
Yes , I did like it. Expensive but you keep warranty.
Car response seemed better, no noise change below 4500rpm.
Above you get a definitely noticeable whine and car seems to rev a bit quicker.

HTH JohnO

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Dumb question time

But can you get the same benifit by simply cutting a hole in the standard box and routing the airflow to the dirty side of the filter panel? Guess it would void the warranty though

Stupid question 2
Why did JCW go to the trouble of having a rev actauted flap in the first palce, why not have a hole that works all the time?

s:yeblack:

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
My standard airbox already had a whole in it at the back. It looks like it's meant to be there too, not some tosspot with a hacksaw...

·
Registered
183 Posts
The actuated flap for the JCW I believe is there to satisfy noise regulations.

The std car does have a small opening which I believe could easily be expanded to give a similar effect.

HTH
JohnO

·
Speed Racer
163 Posts
Prices

Is the JCW filter a DIY mod on a non-JCW '05 MINI S? Not sure if any electrical changes are required, other, etc. Also, please reply if you know the US price (part only) or price in Germany. Thanks! I think this is the obvious first mod for a MINI S in warranty. Next would be strut brace followed by rear sway bar. Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally I didnt do it DIY , and to be fully warranty compliant it must be fitted by a dealer anyway.
The box is part of the official JCW 200->210bhp upgrade kit as well ,so you can use that part of the instructions.
jcw upgrade kit pdf
Only electrical connection is a single wire that feeds the ecu rpm speed for the 4500rpm open valve event.
Of course you could remove the flap and not fit the ecu wire (or the vacuum tee off for the valve), which would sound great ALL the time and be easier to fit..........

Prices in US/Germany ? sorry dont know..
HTH
JohnO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts