MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help please :)

I have to be ordering before October is out and I'm trying to finalize my spec :eek:

I will be going for a Cooper (R56) with the JCW bodykit and would prefer 16" wheels for the ride quality, but my worry is all the pics I have seen with the kit on be it MC or MCS, the cars have had 17" wheels and I can't find a pic with 16".
Is this because 16" won't look right with the bodykit on??

Advice please and poss pics :)

Hugs

Tracie x

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Most people that go for the Aero Kit do seem to go for 17" or 18" wheels, so I guess most do think it looks better.

I don't have any pictures, sorry, but I have seen (and sold) a few MINIs with your preferred combination, and I think it looks O.K.

The only advice I can give is that, generally, alloys with fewer spokes seem to look bigger. Which wheels are you thinking of?

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 16" Bridge Spokes or 17" Crown Spokes ( I'm too not keen on the Flame ones)

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
I sold a black 1st Gen Cooper with Aero Kit and Bridge Spokes (we had to swap them off a Park Lane as the customer really wanted them) and it looked :nice: ! :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
We have a Dooper with JCW kit on 16" bridge spokes, also got an R56 S with JCW kit on 18" R105 wheels, both look really well. Bridge spokes look spot on with the kit though and don't look out of place. Handling and ride quality is very nice with the 16"s
I'll see if I can find any pics for you.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks ppls, you've been really, really helpful.

Thank for finding the pics Jo :)

MJS, I'd really like to see your Dooper pics as well please as your pic may well decide it for me :)

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
I need help please :)

I have to be ordering before October is out and I'm trying to finalize my spec :eek:

I will be going for a Cooper (R56) with the JCW bodykit and would prefer 16" wheels for the ride quality, but my worry is all the pics I have seen with the kit on be it MC or MCS, the cars have had 17" wheels and I can't find a pic with 16".
Is this because 16" won't look right with the bodykit on??

Advice please and poss pics :)

Hugs

Tracie x
The gap between the wheel and the arch is big enough with my 18" wheels so 16" wheels would look silly i think - also because there is quite a bit tyre on the 16" and if you are going for a 'sportier look' than standard (im guessing you are by getting the JCW aero kit) then i dont think 16"s are the answer....

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dilemma for me with 17" is the ride quality with sports suspension, which is something I would spec with the 16".
Boy am I confused now! :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
If you go with the 16s, the Bridge spokes would be my choice, and look good with the JCW aero kit :)

The ride on the 17s isn't as bad as it was on the 1st Gen cars, the runflats have improved, and suspension is now set up to work with them ;) You could always go with 17s and change to normal tyres later if it were too harsh?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The gap between the wheel and the arch is big enough with my 18" wheels so 16" wheels would look silly i think.
Actually, your car with 18" wheels and 215/35-18 tires will have 6.6mm more wheel gap than if it had 16" wheels and 195/55-16 (stock size) tires ;)

·
Gone Outside To Play
72 Posts
IMO, a larger wheel/rim (shorter tyre sidewall) will give the illusion of a bigger wheel gap than a smaller wheel (with a taller sidewall). Follow the two links, see and decide for yourself, as an example a Mini with 17 wheel vs a Mini with 20 wheel. Therefore IMHO a JCW aero kit without lowering should have a "better" wheel gap with 16" wheels than say an 18". :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
But, an 18" wheel IS bigger and depending on the style will look visually "fuller" under the wheel arch than say a 16" wheel regardless of tyre wall height. Your eye is drawn to the wheel itself and not the gap between the tyre and the arch.
If this is a concern you could always fit the JCW suspension

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blimey, now I'm evan more confused. Thanks for all your replies :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts