MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, could do with some help and clarification about replacement parts for JCW brakes.

I have a May 2004 Cooper S Works fitted with the JCW brakes, and am after replacement discs and pads for them. If it matters, the brakes were not fitted when the car was new, but in the summer of 2006 (I don't have the exact date with me, but I can find out).

Firstly - pads, as I see it (from searches on here) there are 2 options:

• R53 JCW and GP Pads - 34 11 6 770 251
  • R56 MCS Pads - 34 11 6 778 320

Am I correct in assuming that these are all replacements for each other (despite what BMW say), and are R56 MCS JCW pads the same as the normal pads?

Then, discs, 3 options available:

• R53 JCW to 07/06 - 34 11 6 768 933
  • R53 JCW from 07/06, GP, R56 MCS - 34 11 6 774 986
  • R56 MCS JCW - 34 11 6 777 826

I'm assuming that the late R53 and R56 discs WON'T fit my R53 only because I have the older style M12 wheel bolts. Although if the only difference is that the wheel bolt holes are larger on the newer discs, then they might fit?

Were there any other changes in July 2006, or am I wrong and these discs will fit?

Thanks very much for all help received, hopefully I can clear this up!

Martin

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The pads are all interchangable. The R56 pads are supposedley not as sporty as the R53 JCW (although I find them fine)... the GP pad is racier again I believe. However none of them are race pads so any of them can be used. I have used all three on mine and noticed virtually no difference.

Discs. it hink you can fit the R56 ones but you have to change your bolts. So stick to the JCW R53 ones. I belive the GP discs might be the same as the R56 ones so again they probably use the different bolts (not sure on that though)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cheers for that Richard - glad to know the pads are simple!

I'm not so sure about changing the bolts to use the later discs, as this would mean changing the hubs, since they are where the wheel bolts thread in to.

The later bolts are M14 so the holes through the later discs will be larger than on the earlier discs, and so this suggests that they would fit with the M12 bolts, unless something else changed too?

All very confusing!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Not sure... I know that the bolts are different, and that folks fit R56 discs to thier R53 and GP S's to get the JCW groved and drilled GP disc option.... but not sure what else they had to do to fit those grooved and drilled JCW option R56 discs to thier R53....maybe nothing and it is a straight swap....

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Just to confuse you even more, Lohen now do the mintex M1144 pads for the JCW road caliper:confused: Too Much Choice:confused:
Awesome as the BMW pads are about 80-85 quid... the old stock size mintex were about 70 quid, so thats a possible £20 saving each year! ... Cool

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Bolts stay the same if using the R56 discs, its just that they use slightly bigger bolts ont he R56 to the R53. But its not a problem as the disc locates easily anyway. As for pads. if you really want to stay cheap and use standard pads then use a good local parts outlet. You may have to match the pads up if they are not listed, but will save you a fortune.

On my old Brembos the front pads were #98 quid per corner, by matching them up it turned out they are the same pads used on a V12 XJS rear, and it ended up costing just 20 quid the pair.

Remember no single pad out there ( unless its a high end supercar) is specific to anyone car, theres always dual use on a nother car in a different format, thats what keeps the costs of production down. But its just a matter of doing the work to find out where the dual use is.

Best one my mate ever told me about was the mitsubishi Evo' 5 rear pads are the same as was used on the Fronts for the Vauxhall Chevette of all things

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Ant!

I'm not fussed about getting parts really cheap, but would like to know what's interchangeable between the various versions of the JCW brake kit and the R56.

So am I correct in thinking that the R56 JCW discs (6 778 826) will fit my MCS, along with any of the pads?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
The best thing to do with an R53 JCW or a GP front brakes if both discs and pads need changing is to fit R56 slotted/drilled discs and R56 front pads.

There is NO PROBLEM with R56 discs on R53 JCW even if the stud size on older JCW is smaller.

Talk to Chris at Woodmans as I have discussed all of the BMW options with him - you will also get a good price.

The other option is to talk to Tony Franks at mininmotorsportcentre and use some of the components that are used in the UK MINI Challenge

Unfortunately some of the info above is not fully accurate probably because the area is so confusing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snowie - thank you very much.

I am seeing Tony tomorrow (MoT time!) so will talk to him about brake options then :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right, I've decided to go for the R53 JCW discs as I got a pair for a very good price - couldn't justify the extra cost for the R56 JCW parts.

I now have a dilemma about pads, I was going to go for R56 pads, but I found out today that they are £74 inc VAT from MINI. :eek::eek::eek:

RedStuff and YellowStuff pads for the JCW kit appear to be available for around £50 inc VAT delivered - anyone got any experience of these?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For anyone's future reference (because I'm a nice chap), I ended up fitting standard MINI R53 JCW disks and Mintex M1144 pads. Very, very pleased!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts