MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
s there a Challenge series in the UK where they would be eligible? The current MINI Challenge racers are all using R50 and R52 cars. And there's chuff-all point in buying one *unless* you're entering it for motorsports events.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently, not until 2009 at the earliest. There's always track days though... :)

In the meantime, I found this in the FAQ:

Is there a possibility to get a road homologation for the race car?

Depending on the national regulations of the specific country, and some slight modifications to the car, it could be possible to obtain local road homologation. This option would be at the full discretion and responsibility of the MINI John Cooper Works CHALLENGE customer.

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
As long as it will pass an MOT and is registerable as a (kit) car on a Q plate (not sure if Q plates still exist really) then its fine for road use i used an ex MG Metro Turbo challenge car on the road for a while in that form.

Apparently, not until 2009 at the earliest. There's always track days though... :)

In the meantime, I found this in the FAQ:

Is there a possibility to get a road homologation for the race car?

Depending on the national regulations of the specific country, and some slight modifications to the car, it could be possible to obtain local road homologation. This option would be at the full discretion and responsibility of the MINI John Cooper Works CHALLENGE customer.

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
As long as it will pass an MOT and is registerable as a (kit) car on a Q plate (not sure if Q plates still exist really) then its fine for road use i used an ex MG Metro Turbo challenge car on the road for a while in that form.
how do insurance companies view race cars on the road?

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
how do insurance companies view race cars on the road?
There is a potential issue with homologation in some cases, but if you consider full blown rally cars as an example, they are taxed , insured , comply with MOT standards and are fully road worthy. They have to drive between stages on public roads so have to comply with local conditions and laws for road transport. So in general as long as it has lights brakes, wipers, road legal tyres and so on it's not a problem. However it might be expensive dependent on your situation, NCB and so on.

As a single seater F1 car has no lights , or MOT standard bits then that could not be insured normally, however it might be possible to get an underwriter to take it on under exceptopnally stringent conditions.

The previous generation R50 And R52 JCW Challenge cars were road legal and some drivers used them as a daily drive, so I don't see a problem apart from some stiff premiums.

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
The previous generation R50 And R52 JCW Challenge cars were road legal and some drivers used them as a daily drive, so I don't see a problem apart from some stiff premiums.
A friend of mine who was looking for an R53 JCW a little while ago stumbled accross an ex challenge car at a MINI garage being sold as part of the Select used car scheme - the sales person didnt realise it was an ex-challenge car !

So it looks like some of them do make it to the road...

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
There is a potential issue with homologation in some cases, but if you consider full blown rally cars as an example, they are taxed , insured , comply with MOT standards and are fully road worthy. They have to drive between stages on public roads so have to comply with local conditions and laws for road transport. So in general as long as it has lights brakes, wipers, road legal tyres and so on it's not a problem. However it might be expensive dependent on your situation, NCB and so on.

As a single seater F1 car has no lights , or MOT standard bits then that could not be insured normally, however it might be possible to get an underwriter to take it on under exceptopnally stringent conditions.

Yeah, but WRC cars have been homologated and as part of that requirement they have to be road legal whereas (as has already been stated) the JCW Challenge cars aren't.

Apart from that, why would anyone want to spend the thick end of £40k for a MINI? There are better cars around at that price point for the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts