MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,i have a 2003 cooper which i am dissappointed with the low range acceleration. I dont want to upgrade to a cooper s and have a test drive arranged tomorrow with john coopers with a view to installing their cooper works kit.
Other existing spec on my car includes the sports plus suspension and 17inch wheels (with runflats). My objective for £2100 is to improve acceleration out of corners and overtaking in the 20-50 mph speed range (and still keep BMW warranties) any comments from existing cooper jcw owners or other opinions. Any idea if I would be able to recoup any of that expense at a later date when I sell my car. I only do low mileage (2,500 since December), although hopefully him indoors will want to drive it more if its a bit quicker! He's sulking because I won't buy him a Works Cooper S! (He's currently driving a works 1.4 Astra Estate. Ha Ha!!) :p

·
Sullivan Racing
1,117 Posts
If you are absolutely against other aftermarket parts, even though it is unlikely you will have any warranty issues because of them, then go for it! But, I'm sure you know, you can get similar results out of other parts for far less money. My Rspeed exhaust and BMP intake set me back about $600.

·
Astro
295 Posts
im not convinced if its worth it! the mini is 115HP and spending £2100 would only get it to 125 or 135BHP i just dont think you get enough for the money!

Im sure its good, no worries about that, but if you really want more speed, get a Cooper S

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went into order a Cooper last week and i asked my dealer about the cooper works kit and he told me that they have been told that there is a new version of the cooper kit coming out with increased horsepower similar to the extra 10HP on the Cooper S Works kit. So i am assuming that they will be upping the Cooper Works kit to around 135HP-140HP for roughly the same price.

Has anybody else heard about this?

(First Post by the way :))

·
Letting the days go by
890 Posts
Wuxley said:
I went into order a Cooper last week and i asked my dealer about the cooper works kit and he told me that they have been told that there is a new version of the cooper kit coming out with increased horsepower similar to the extra 10HP on the Cooper S Works kit. So i am assuming that they will be upping the Cooper Works kit to around 135HP-140HP for roughly the same price.

Has anybody else heard about this?

(First Post by the way :))
Haven't heard anything - but that would be fantastic news :cool:

If it turns out to be true - what a great first post. Welcome.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. Went to JCW in Worthing yesterday & test drove cooper works. Subtle improvement but decided not worth the extra £2,100. Spoke to two Mini dealers today who both said my car would only be worth about another £500 with the kit installed so not alot of return for my investment.
Further to comments about new kits coming out - JCW said there is a new one coming out for the CooperS but not the Cooper. It is possible to get 132hp cooper kit with exhaust no longer officially approved by BMW (they used to use it but considered by BMW to be too noisy). JCW will fit this for the same price.
Have decided to upgrade to CooperS after all, see For Sale thread re: my car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Because of transmission changes to 2005 and later Coopers, the current JCW kit will no longer be an option for Cooper owners. A new kit for the 2005 and later Coopers will be coming out but a new cylinder head will not be part of the package. Obviously if you own an older Cooper (pre 2005) you can still order the current JCW kit.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'm not sure any of the JCW kits or aftermarket mods will give you low end grunt. A JCW'd Cooper has only slightly more shove at the low end - it's from the 4000 RPM mark that the modifications really kick in. If you're wanting low end stuff then you'd need to look to increase the displacement to 1.8 or something. I've also recently test driven the Cooper S - I was looking to change as I've lost so little money on my Cooper. Driving around town (which is what I spend 95% of my time doing) the S is no different - in fact I say my Cooper is faster and more agile. Once you hit 40MPH though and higher revs that supercharger kicks and and makes the car fly - it's fantastic on the motorway, but you still need to keep the revs high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
Prowse
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing