MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just has a phone call from my BMW dealer who has been advised to manage customer expectations regarding JCW engine kits on R56 models made after July 1 2008. They no longer fit the car owing to a modification to the exhaust system - my dealer gueses it's to do with new EU emissions regs. I'm expecting my new R56 on September 1 but have been advised that it might have to be standard until BMW fix the problem. The dealer did say that BMW are working like hell to get this sorted for mid August but can't promise anything.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hello, just has a phone call from my BMW dealer who has been advised to manage customer expectations regarding JCW engine kits on R56 models made after July 1 2008. They no longer fit the car owing to a modification to the exhaust system - my dealer gueses it's to do with new EU emissions regs. I'm expecting my new R56 on September 1 but have been advised that it might have to be standard until BMW fix the problem. The dealer did say that BMW are working like hell to get this sorted for mid August but can't promise anything.
MINI are making some fundamental errors at the moment with fitment of accessories etc.:confused:

Hope they get it sorted for you quickly:smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, had this update from Mini Uk:

The Dealership are indeed correct in informing you of this matter, any
MINI Cooper S built after 01 July 2008 will feature a slight production
change to the exhaust system. The resulting affect of this change is
that the sport exhaust silencer currently included within the R56 John
Cooper Works tuning kit is no longer suitable for vehicles built on or
after this date.

Our engineers are working on a solution to this as a matter of urgency,
and we hope to have a kit available for your vehicle in a few months
time.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this

Hope the boffins get it sorted, anyone any clues as to why they changed things?

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
On reading this I gave Mini UK a call to see if my factory JCW is affected by this. It would seem that this is only the case for after market JCW kits. So if you have ordered a factory JCW you will be alright.

Happy Motoring.....

WD

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
On reading this I gave Mini UK a call to see if my factory JCW is affected by this. It would seem that this is only the case for after market JCW kits. So if you have ordered a factory JCW you will be alright.

Happy Motoring.....

WD
ummm think that was a given to be honest, 2 different cars

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taken delivery of my new Cooper S without the engine kit. The dealer had an email from BMW stating that the new exhaust was being tested on UK spec cars next week, so thankfully they haven't abandoned the kit all together!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kit On

Good news, the kit has been fitted but the dealer did have the car for five days rather than the standard four hours! There were bits missing from the kit and the remapped ecu download seemed to take an age - maybe they used a 56k modem. The only downside is that the auto stop start has stopped. I put this in a seperate post but if anyone has a clue please let me know.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Good news, the kit has been fitted but the dealer did have the car for five days rather than the standard four hours! There were bits missing from the kit and the remapped ecu download seemed to take an age - maybe they used a 56k modem. The only downside is that the auto stop start has stopped. I put this in a seperate post but if anyone has a clue please let me know.
Auto start stop may not be working properly yet as battery may have been discharged and needs a good run before it gets back to full capacity allowing the auto stop start to function

Mine works fine

·
Registered
851 Posts
Minis can take a good few hours to update for some reason. When I had mine fitted the air con didn't work and needed the ECU to updated again, the process seems a bit hit and miss!

It if it doesn't come back after a while I'd take it back to the dealer in case something similar has happened.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for the replies, it's a comfort to know that it might not be knackered after all. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow for the technicians to poke about a bit and to relocate the front grill badge from its current foul location.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Minis can take a good few hours to update for some reason. When I had mine fitted the air con didn't work and needed the ECU to updated again, the process seems a bit hit and miss!

It if it doesn't come back after a while I'd take it back to the dealer in case something similar has happened.
Same with mine, no climate control after fitment.

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
How did they fix the climate Japper?
I believe this was quite common. they should have checked it before they handed it back to you. I think the fix is that they need to re-code the ecu as sometimes the JCW re-map goes a little funny.

Hope you get it sorted.

WD

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How did they fix the climate Japper?
No idea, i just put it back into the dealers and they apologised for messing it up originally.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All's Well

All sorted - they replaced a damaged switch so it wasn't the ecu upgrade - maybe just the fitting! New problem though - hit a squirrel and knocked the lowergrill out of line - any ideas to fix it back, particularly the edges. Sorry for being off post.

·
Registered
849 Posts
All sorted - they replaced a damaged switch so it wasn't the ecu upgrade - maybe just the fitting! New problem though - hit a squirrel and knocked the lowergrill out of line - any ideas to fix it back, particularly the edges. Sorry for being off post.
Sorry, can't help with the fix & I'm probably telling you something you already knew but double check that nothing else damaged behind the grille.
OK so it was a fox that I hit however it was only a little guy but did an amazingly eyewatering amount of damage.
I'm sure someone on here can help with the fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts