MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the JCW Exhaust without getting the rest of the kit?

I'm thinking of getting a MCS and I love the look of the exhaust but don't need the extra BHP. The dealer I spoke to said it would cost about £1200... is this right?

Many thanks,
Richard.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
List price is about £1000 plus VAT - which must be the most expensive catback system available for the Mini I rekon!!!!. Very unlikely that you can buy it direct from either BMW or JCW as they are assembled into kits, each kit is given an indevidual certificate of authenticity and a number. Every kit is assemled at JCW in Worthing, where Mike Cooper personally signs the certificate.

The only way I think you'll get one is from someone selling theirs on to put a LOUDER more grunty/agressive exhaust on. My wifes Coopers S has a Works exhaust on, as my Works has a Playmini system on.

keep checking eBay is my best guess.....

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
I wanted to head down that road too, without getting the full works kit, and a few weeks ago it was possible, but I spoke to my dealer about it again last week, and it would seem that jcw have clamped down on this v recently, so when the dealer goes to order a new part from them, they want the chassis number etc from the car, and they'll probably only sell the new bit in return for evidence of the old bit. so, from what i understand, if what my dealer tells me is correct, if you don't have the official jcw number on your car, you aren't going to get a new bit for it. if anyone knows differently to this, please let me know, because I really want the jcw exhaust!

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Fizzle said:
they have them advertised on the john cooper web site for a lot less than you were quoted. see link below:

http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCooperSite/category/Motorsport_Exhaust+Kits/

i paid £350 for mine 2nd hand. it's the straight through system so it's a bit louder with a few more pops n crackles!!

Those prices are only for John Cooper Race Challenge series..... and aren't, as i understand it, sold seperatly to owners without the complete Works kit.... Unless theres been a change down at Worthing in the last few months... my invoice breaks it down to around £1000 for the exhaust.

Interesting that you paid £350 second hand. Thats around the price a good non JCW system would cost you new (Milek/Playmini etc)

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
nylo said:
I wanted to head down that road too, without getting the full works kit, and a few weeks ago it was possible, but I spoke to my dealer about it again last week, and it would seem that jcw have clamped down on this v recently, so when the dealer goes to order a new part from them, they want the chassis number etc from the car, and they'll probably only sell the new bit in return for evidence of the old bit. so, from what i understand, if what my dealer tells me is correct, if you don't have the official jcw number on your car, you aren't going to get a new bit for it. if anyone knows differently to this, please let me know, because I really want the jcw exhaust!

thats exactly as i understod it mate - JCW wouldn't want people putting on the exhaust and the badges and claiming a JCW conversion.... but maybe they have changed since I spoke to them.

·
Maxin' and Relaxin'
423 Posts
Tony*t3 said:
Interesting that you paid £350 second hand. Thats around the price a good non JCW system would cost you new (Milek/Playmini etc)
i thought that was a decent price :confused: . origionally was gonna order a miltek which came to £440 fitted with a 6 week wait but my dealer was being a prick about tlc etc. so i thought it was a good deal to save almost £100 and know my tlc was safe, especially when your invoice states about £1000 for the exhaust.

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Fizzle said:
i thought that was a decent price :confused: . origionally was gonna order a miltek which came to £440 fitted with a 6 week wait but my dealer was being a prick about tlc etc. so i thought it was a good deal to save almost £100 and know my tlc was safe, especially when your invoice states about £1000 for the exhaust.

Actually, I do think its a good price for the JCW when compared to list price.... Its just that I don't think the JCW is actually worth £1000. It doesn't seem any different to an exahust that costs £400, apart from the fact that it has the name attached to it. Even the exhaust tips are simple bolt on covers.....

Its probably one of the better aftermarket mods that you could have made if you want to retain resale value though.... no ones going to argue that its was a bad idea in the first place!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts