MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just joined today and liking your forum here.

I am in the process of buying a mini cooper s jcw but have just found out about the retro fit option, how do I tell? we did a hpi check which came back clean but just says the car is a cooper s?

Can you tell visually? It's a January 2004 47k miles and we have agreed a price of £9000

Thanks in advance for any replies

Steve

Attachments

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Does it have the JCW brakes?

Looking at the pic I'd say no, so in that case its clearly a dealer installed JCW kit;)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
The dealership should be able to tell you as this sort of information should be on their system - does it make a large difference to you who fitted it? Maybe Im missing the point but does this affect the value of the car?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
It's a Janaury 2004 MINI, so it's won't be factory fit ;) The JCW kit wasn't available as a factory option until 2005 :)

Also, as this is pre-facelift, it may well be the 200bhp kit, not the 210 kit with the two stage air box - it depends on when this was fitted though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

thanks for the replys, this has cleared things up for me. The car was advertised as 210bhp and after veiwing and reading up on these cars I started to think it wasn't all I was thinking it was. (does that make sense?)

So it's maybe short of the brakes and 10 bhp. I think I will go for another look before handing over the money.

Not sure if it effect the value? what do you think?

cheers,

Steve

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
It could still be the 210 model as there was an upgrade available for the 200bhp cars which included the air box and injectors - i had it fitted to mine as soon as i got my car. if you go to have a look at the car check that it has the Jcw air box and if possible that it has the injectors (which are blue as i understand).

shouldnt think it would make a difference to the value - possibly the desirability - i wouldnt pay more for one built at the factory but otherwise exactly the same as a dealer fitted one. unless the factory built ones automatically come with the brake kit too ?? (this was hinted at above i believe)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Yes..... they do ;)

The brake kit costs about £600 ish all in to retro fit so that gives you an idea of the value the brakes hold - if the brakes would result in the car holding a premium over the dealer fit JCW of £600 or not im not so sure...??

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
just remember that dealer fittted jcw kit etc is not covered by any mini warranty, only for 2 years from fitting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

We didn't buy the jcw in the end as it had 4 previous owners.

Finally bought an 05 pepper white cooper s with 1 previous owner. Picking up this Friday :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts