MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I have a std MCS and have recently ordered the JCW airbox kit to increase my enjoyment further. It doesnt get fitted til the 15th Dec but already Im after the 'motorsport tweak' that allows you to manually alter when the secondary flap opens (or maybe just all the time).

Any of you JCW 210 folk know the 'mod'? And wish to share with me please...

I guess it wouldnt be too difficult to build an rpm activator box that modifies the rpm signal the actuator would recieve making the open/close points fully adjustable :) but alas my auto electronics knowledge isnt that good ....

Thanks
JohnO

·
Registered
88 Posts
John, there was a thread on here a month or so back when the new intake was a hot topic, i had asked a similar question to yourself as i thought 4500rpm was a bit late for the flap to be opening on a standard car. I remember someone saying that they had spoken with a technician whilst at John Cooper Garages and they had told him that the flap could be made to stay open all the time, possibly for motorsport use. I dont remember anyone ever coming up with a way of the flap opening earlier though, if you find out let me know.

Dont know if this helps or not, maybe you can find the user from that thread and ask him about his conversation at JCW, failing that i'd call them direct and see if you can pick thier brains.

Remember and post your thoughts about the intake when you get it fitted. :)

·
"Big Munch"
90 Posts
I have one on my stock MCS .... VERY FUN when it hits 4500 RPM

I think it is fine the way it is designed :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some thoughts Ive put in my weblog FYI..........

Wednesday, December 15, 2004
JCW AirFilter is on
Yep , just got the car back from dealership.
They ended up needing 3.5 hrs !!! when the instructions (which I have pre-read off the web) indicate 1hr (for the JCW 210 upgrade inc injectors+remap) or 0.75hrs for just the filter assembly.
Of course I dont have a JCW kit , so it was just the airbox.
Underbonnet , nothing looks disturbed and its all still very neat , so thats a plus for the dealer. Car washed (albeit not to my standards LOL) as well.
So I hear you ask , how much and is it any good.
Initial impressions

1) Its bleeding expensive retaining your warranty. The box was £275 and I paid a further £85 today for 1hrs labour for fitting.
Thats £360 all in , for an airfilter assembly!!!!
Albeit a good quality one.

2)Ive only driven the car for a short distance (had to go back to work to pay it off LOL) , so I only went over 4500 rpm twice. In general the car seems 'perkier' throughout the rev range , with very definite 'whine' past 4500rpm.
I would describe it as 'whine' rather than induction noise.
Im pleased so far , albeit its a bit quieter than I expected , and definitely needs to be open all the time :)
Im always aware of the 'placebo' factor , so Im trying to be objective!

Need to spend a few more days with the car for a better evaluation.
The good news is that I seem very lucky to have managed to get hold of a JCW air kit at all :)

And the next day ...

Well I got home last night and I looked over the original std airbox assembly that was removed to fit the kit. (remember to ask for it back from the dealer!)

1) It was news to me that the std box ALREADY sucks some air through a small hole in the area beneath the windscreen air vents !!! There is no flap (so its open all the time) and its area is about 50% or less of the opening in the JCW kit.
To me this raises the possibility of modifying the std box to increase this opening , and or add your own manually actuated flap mechanism to achieve a JCW 'like' assembly for a lot less cash. Albeit no warranty but it would be a very stealthy. In fact more so than a JCW which stands out a bit with a damn great badge on the top..........
It surprises me how much louder the whine is above 4500rpm given that the hole has only been enlarged.

2) My car had 20K miles on it and the air filter that came off was FILTHY.
If you have a std car , check it now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
JCW AirBox Mod

The Shop that put my pulley in yesterday took out the flap in my jcw Airbox (dealer charged me 1.5 hours labour), now it runs like it should! That slight power bump and supercharger whine that used to happen at 4500rpm now happens all the time :D , much improved for every day driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I played around with the electronic solinoid on mine and I was surprised to see how simple the mechanics for the flap are. You can bypass the electronic solinoid that controls the vacuum line that opens the flap. Remove the solinoid and go vacuum direct and the flap opens at smaller vacuum levels. With a little tweaking with a restrictor in the vacuum line Im sure one could adjust to open at what ever RPM was desired.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input folks.
I'm definitely going to look into this.
JCW seem to have gone to a lot of extra technical effort to get the flap to open at 4500rpm.!!! from what I read to comply with noise regulations (although only side by side dyno runs would prove it may also be for performance reasons)

There is definitely a power hike as soon as the flap opens because it now triggers the ASC light when accel hard in 2nd in the wet which it never used to do prior to fitting.

Im just loathed to touch it now its all fitted.

Any one answer this question?
1) Is the wire from ECU to air filter solenoid a +12V trigger or a constant ECU pulse ???
Much easier to 'trick' if its a trigger at 4500rpm , however given that no additional ECU software is uploaded with the filter I'm deducing that its just an rpm pulse.

Happy Xmas to you all.....across the world

JohnO

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
cool

Thanks for the update :)

I think I'll have a look at my stabdard intake housing as was thinking about feeding more cold air from the windscreen grills - seems that this is already being done? So, all I need to look at now is enlarging the aperture!

Cheers

S:yeblack:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts