MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Is there such a thing as a JCW manifold, that is not the motor sport version?

I know there is a motor sport exhaust system, which comprises of a 421 manifold, catalyst center and a motor sport rear silencer.

I want to get the standard JCW exhaust which includes the center and rear silencer, and wondered if there was a JCW manifold to go with it? I don't want the degree of loudness the motor sport exhaust system provides!

Many thanks
Tom

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Not as far as I am aware, JCW only changes the exhaust for the JCW conversion, the only manifold was the motorsport ones I believe

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rakey.

I'm trying to work out which root to go down:

1. GTT Re route pipe
or
2. JCW exhaust
or
3. JCW exhaust and another manifold, maybe GTT if it works well with the JCW exhaust?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Must say I love the JCW exhaust, its just a nice level of noise, but I do think about manifold needing to be done too.

But have to say if I didn't have JCW I'd probably have a miltek on there, thats got a nice noise to it, bit louder than JCW, but really throaty.

Have had a Playmini exhaust before though, and that was nice too, bit louder than the miltek and I'd say more poppy than Grrrr if that makes sense:p

Guess it all depends on what you want to achieve, a certain type of noise or more breathability from it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Manifold.

Hi, Tom,

The JCM manifold and catt is compatible with the JCW exhaust system. This means you do not have to go for the complete motorsport exhaust system

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must say I love the JCW exhaust, its just a nice level of noise, but I do think about manifold needing to be done too.

But have to say if I didn't have JCW I'd probably have a miltek on there, thats got a nice noise to it, bit louder than JCW, but really throaty.

Have had a Playmini exhaust before though, and that was nice too, bit louder than the miltek and I'd say more poppy than Grrrr if that makes sense:p

Guess it all depends on what you want to achieve, a certain type of noise or more breathability from it?
From what I understand the JCW is quite restrictive, and the Milltek or GTT re-route are probably the best?

Sound wise I do like the Milltek - I wouldn't want to go down the Magnaflow way, as that seems very loud!

I'm really unsure whether to go with the re-route pipe at GTT or go and get the standard JCW exhaust fitted. Its looking llke £400 fitted (including VAT) for the JCW exhaust or £200ish for the re-route pipe fitted...

My OEM exhaust sounds good at the moment, so getting the GTT re-route pipe would accentuate the current sound - maybe I should just do that. Decisions decisions!!

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, Tom,

The JCM manifold and catt is compatible with the JCW exhaust system. This means you do not have to go for the complete motorsport exhaust system
Thanks Chris.
I think if I went with the JCW exhaust, I can have this option if I want that little bit more!
I am thinking just the re-route pipe now:puzzled:

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would need to tell my insurance company I have modified the exhaust, if I went with the re-route pipe. What should I say - removed a silencer?

Cheers

·
Registered
460 Posts
they change everything from the cat the stock mcs manifold and cat remain in place the jcw (dealer fit) has a new front pipe and pre silencer the uk challenge on is similar i think the German challenge one is straight through

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they change everything from the cat the stock mcs manifold and cat remain in place the jcw (dealer fit) has a new front pipe and pre silencer the uk challenge on is similar i think the German challenge one is straight through
Yeah that sounds about right!

The JCW exhaust is center and rear silencer 1 x 5/8 bore in stainless

The motorsport exhaust system is 421 manifold, low cell catalyst center and a motorsport rear silencer 2in bore. All stainless steel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks. So the JCW exhaust is basically just a cat-back exhaust, if I wanted to upgrade any further would need to concentrate on the cat and manifold.

I think the JCW sounds nice, could just do with a little more growl though, perhaps a sports-cat would free things up a bit.

On a side-note, I have a 2008 JCW courtesy car at the moment and apart from the engine sounding like a diesel the exhaust doesn’t sound sporty at all. It does have really cool larger tail-pipe trims though, they’re just like the ‘old’ ones but bigger, not sure they would fit in the ‘old’ valance though.

·
Registered
460 Posts
the stock jcw exhaust is quite restrictive, a normal stock system one balled is freer flowing esp with a better header (janspeed and millteck dont seem to like going over 210 bhp as they are both 200 cell cats)

the works motor sport header and full system can only be bought from tony franks at mini motor sport center

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. So the JCW exhaust is basically just a cat-back exhaust, if I wanted to upgrade any further would need to concentrate on the cat and manifold.

I think the JCW sounds nice, could just do with a little more growl though, perhaps a sports-cat would free things up a bit.

On a side-note, I have a 2008 JCW courtesy car at the moment and apart from the engine sounding like a diesel the exhaust doesn’t sound sporty at all. It does have really cool larger tail-pipe trims though, they’re just like the ‘old’ ones but bigger, not sure they would fit in the ‘old’ valance though.
Yeah thats correct its a cat-back system similair to this: Lohen.co.uk - Track & Fast Road Performance for your New Mini - Online Shop but is the JCW version.

Thats what I'm thinking too, I like the JCW but want a bit more! JCW your looking at £440 fitted, plus a GTT manifold £500ish.

Or milltek cat back at £500/600ish fitted, but then wouldn't want a manifold too
:confused::puzzled::)

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason I'm thinking more the JCW is because of warranty etc. But then its not covered by the warranty! I really want the Milltek!

·
Registered
114 Posts
the stock jcw exhaust is quite restrictive, a normal stock system one balled is freer flowing esp with a better header (janspeed and millteck dont seem to like going over 210 bhp as they are both 200 cell cats)

the works motor sport header and full system can only be bought from tony franks at mini motor sport center
Sorry James, did'nt understand your first sentance "a normal stock system one balled"

Plus should have mentioned, I already have the JCW exhaust on my JCW, am just looking at improving little things here and there, the exhaust could do with a little more growl.

·
SUPERcharged
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 45 Posts