MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone fitted this to their works s? i am toying with having this mod done this weekend with my 210 upgrade....

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
m111nme said:
has anyone fitted this to their works s? i am toying with having this mod done this weekend with my 210 upgrade....
From what I have heard, the JCW manifold invalidates the BMW warranty.
So, you may as well go for the Milltek manifold as it is equally as good and half the price.

I think it adds about 10bhp for £500, but more importantly it really wakes the exhaust up.

I too am wanting this modification. I too have a brand new Works 210bhp.

My reg is not far from "W8RKS" ;)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've got the Miltek manifold on my JCW 210 and its very good indeed!! Nice and noisy but not over the top.

I think 10bhp claims are a little steep though :) Maybe 3-5bhp

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm...

having looked at the jcw manifold and the miltek one i will probably get the jcw ...it is a 4-2-1 system rather than the miltek 4-1...( a 4-2-1 produces better power)
i spoke to jcw today and they have a done at fitting like this today and they have said it really opens the car up further! :D

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
4-1 or 4-2-1 manifold

Having now heard this (new news to me) I need to be convinced this is fact and what the details are behind this concept.

Milltek are very well known for great manifolds amongst other things, but if their 4-1 is not as effective as the JCW 4-2-1 then this is of concern to me.

I am after the best product for sound and performance, and if for the sake of an extra couple of hundered quid this is to be the 4-2-1 system, then so be it.

....but i need to know.

Anybody ??????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Cooper S Works said:
Having now heard this (new news to me) I need to be convinced this is fact and what the details are behind this concept.

Milltek are very well known for great manifolds amongst other things, but if their 4-1 is not as effective as the JCW 4-2-1 then this is of concern to me.

I am after the best product for sound and performance, and if for the sake of an extra couple of hundered quid this is to be the 4-2-1 system, then so be it.

....but i need to know.

Anybody ??????? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Here's a good read
It's short and about Miata headers but the engineering is the same.

In a nutshell 4 into 1 are better at high RPMs and 4-2-1 are better at lower rpms. There are a lot more variables. Tube diameter, length, collector length, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was my Cooper S at John Cooper Works having the conversion from 163 to 210hp and the motorsport exhaust fitted on November 30th.
Kevin ( great guy ) @ JCW advised the 4-2-1 with the motorsport cat but with the 210 silencers. I agreed on the understanding that, if when i collected the car, i did not like the sound the motorsport silencers would be fitted whilst i waited.
When i returned to collect the car i listened to;
Standard S Too quiet
210 conversion Better
S with full motorsport Great but too noisey for road.
My system Fantastic more noise and a much better tone than the 210
I drove back to Newcastle and on the motorway at cruising speed, about 80-85mph.,could notice only a slight difference to the standard exhaust.The noise under full throttle is wonderful. It gives a slight pop when changing up but i have yet to hear any pops on overrun.
JCW said the car performed better than the 210, possibly by 10hp, but i am unable to judge.
One interesting point is that from Newcastle to Worthing the OBC registered 34.1mpg and on the way back 39.2mpg.My OBC read about 10% high.This could be down to weather factors but it will be interesting to see how my normal OBC reading of 31.3mpg is changed by the conversion.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
relbats said:
It was my Cooper S at John Cooper Works having the conversion from 163 to 210hp and the motorsport exhaust fitted on November 30th.
Kevin ( great guy ) @ JCW advised the 4-2-1 with the motorsport cat but with the 210 silencers. I agreed on the understanding that, if when i collected the car, i did not like the sound the motorsport silencers would be fitted whilst i waited.
When i returned to collect the car i listened to;
Standard S Too quiet
210 conversion Better
S with full motorsport Great but too noisey for road.
My system Fantastic more noise and a much better tone than the 210
I drove back to Newcastle and on the motorway at cruising speed, about 80-85mph.,could notice only a slight difference to the standard exhaust.The noise under full throttle is wonderful. It gives a slight pop when changing up but i have yet to hear any pops on overrun.
JCW said the car performed better than the 210, possibly by 10hp, but i am unable to judge.
One interesting point is that from Newcastle to Worthing the OBC registered 34.1mpg and on the way back 39.2mpg.My OBC read about 10% high.This could be down to weather factors but it will be interesting to see how my normal OBC reading of 31.3mpg is changed by the conversion.
:cool:

I live nearby, we'll have to meet up one day so I can have a listen.:)

Do you mind me asking how much they charged for the manifold?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well....

i have decided i am going to get the jcw manifold fitted on saturday along with the 210 upgrade! i shall ask about other bits whilst i am there :D :red:

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
I contacted Ray at West tuning and he said that the Milltek was the best manifold they had tried from 9 or 10 other makes. This was in response to the question - "Is the JCW manifold better than the Milltek?"

You can't give a straight answer to that for obvious reasons, but I think he is hinting that the Milltek is better then the JCW.

Better in what way though - noise or power???

How are people finding the issue of warranty after fitting a non-stnd manifold - JCW or otherwise ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
LMB no problem if you can arrange.

The cost was the difference between the JCW motorsport complete exhaust system cost and the S cat back system. It ended up at an extra £665. Well worth it in my opinion.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
relbats said:

The cost was the difference between the JCW motorsport complete exhaust system cost and the S cat back system. It ended up at an extra £665. Well worth it in my opinion.
Thanks.:)

I'm snowed under at the minute, so I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks. Does the manifold sound good? :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thought you might...

to know that the jcw motorsport exhaust manifold has a 100 cell sport cat fitted! i wondered why it sounded so good! :D

i shall try and get some sound clips too!

·
Registered
59 Posts
m111nme said:
to know that the jcw motorsport exhaust manifold has a 100 cell sport cat fitted! i wondered why it sounded so good! :D

i shall try and get some sound clips too!

Do you have the part# for the manifold?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
216bhp/191lbft......

216bhp/191lbft......this is what my MCS is now pushing out! and it feels like it too....interestingly looking at the lambda values it would seem that it is being over fueled above 5000rpm in order to keep the engine cooler...( if this wasnt in place the car would achieving 230+!!)

i shall give jcw a call tomorrow and see if they can give the parts number for the manifold/sports cat

one happy man!

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
relbats said:

Erm, the JCW 4-2-1 manifold sports cat is £1050 fitted inc. VAT.

·
LOBSTER!
337 Posts
4-2-1

yea the race exz syst from JCW is ive had it instaled last monday (piccies below) and the BMW garage said that it wont valadate the whole warranty it will only on the changed part so if the door falls off then its still on the warranty but if the exz falls of then go to JCW! :D

the sound and pickup is outstanding now ive had the car new for 5 weeks now and have allready got the exz up graded to a Full JCW Race Syst inc. Race Backbox and i say just go for it speak to the BMW dealer and if your a good blager it wont effect the warranty!!

happy floorin it!! (if ya get it done!!) :D :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts