MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi thought might be interested the new factory JCW is on topgear Sunday part of the challenges between them and there German counterparts :cool:

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
I will be watching! Will be interesting to see how it stacks up... Didnt they put the R53 JCW round their track against other hot hatchs (like the Focus ST, Civic Type R etc) ? ? I caught the tail end of it a little while ago but havent been able to find the full video...

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Mini JCW vs Mini Cooper S

Just seen the JCW on top gear up against the Cooper S in a UK vs Germany shootout. The JCW was driven by race driver Sabine Schmitz. Clarkson drove the MCS. The first part was a autotest, but the second was a race round a track.

Despite being driven by Clarkson, the MCS seemed to easily follow the JCW, even down the straight. How the hell can this be possible! There should surely be some performance defecit. Is this just because top gear races are made to look close do you think?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I thought the Germans were driving the new JCW MINI as it had the whole JCW body kit, the new 17" R112 wheels and JCW badge and Jeremy was driving a MCS JCW converted as it had the badge too but no body kit etc.

They seems pretty impressive little cars didn't they!

·
MCS AB Owner! =D
325 Posts
I thought the Germans were driving the new JCW MINI as it had the whole JCW body kit, the new 17" R112 wheels and JCW badge and Jeremy was driving a MCS JCW converted as it had the badge too but no body kit etc.

They seems pretty impressive little cars didn't they!
I'd quite agree with that. If this is the case, there really isn't much difference between them! From factory or converted, all I can see that the factory had a bit more grunt from the start (maybe producing that bit more torque).

To be quite honest, this makes me want to upgrade my S to a S JCW instead of chopping in for the JCW in 3 years time (if the R56 is still the current model). By then, I guess we may see a R56 GP or the GP II ;).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
To be honest i'm sure both of these were stage 1 kit JCW's although sabines had the challenge rims and bodykit. They both had the engraved tailpipe and i didn't see the factory brakes on Sabines car either.

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
I personally was to busy drawlling to notice that :)

I thoguht sbarina did better which she did & Clarkson doesn't know how to drive the mini as it a normal car thats below his dignity to drive!!

When i heard that the mini was going to be on yesterday i was hoping it was going to be a main feature to do with the motor show so was a bit dissapointed

The challenge was still good & still make me chuckle & drawl

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Notice also that the John Cooper Works Sabine was driving was German spec - they don't have the JCW aero kit as standard there, hence why the JCW badge was fixed to the upper grille, not the lower grille as the UK JCW cars are out of the factory ;)

God I'm sad :p

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Nice bit of knowledge there Jon.

I'm so proud of ourselves that we can spot the differences between a R56 JCW tuned MCS and a R56 JCW and their sutle little differences.

Whats the difference in engine from a JCW tuned MCS and the new factory JCW model?

·
Boosted
480 Posts
I thought they were both 192 cars myself for the same reasons Japper mentioned. the iPlayer shall tells us the truth!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts