MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I was in the MINI garage today, I had a look at the new 2nd generation JCW. This car costs the Euro equivalent of c.STG£31,200 in Ireland, and is therefore c.STG£8,600 more expensive than a Cooper S at c.STG£22,600.

For a car with such a miserly spec, I think its price is nothing short of an absolute rip-off. Let's just see the main things you get for your extra STG£8,600:

(i) An extra few h.p. (and in the opinion of pretty every journalist's report i have read on it, too much power for the chassis).

(ii) A red gear lever top (about SGT£0.50 worth).

(iii) The JCW body kit (c.£1,250 worth, and at that overpriced for a kit that cheapens the car's looks).

(iv) A set of alloys that are nowhere near as nice as flame spokes.

(v) A JCW exhaust system, and a few little badges here and there.

To offer a car like this at the equivalent of c.STG£31,200 in Ireland, and then not even to fit foglights as standard is ridiculous.

The JCW should not only have all of the aforemetioned, but for it's price, it should have every single extra on the MINI options list as standard. I looked out at my R56 MINI One parked in front of the showroom, and admittedly it is a very high spec MINI One, but with its flame spokes, fogs, chrome mirrors, stripes, chrome pack, white lenses, and all the rest of it, it looked much better than the JCW sitting beside me in the showroom!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
There is nothing for nothing from Mini/BMW. If you want the car your gonna have to pay, or stop moaning & get a different car.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This car has been totally revamped, pistons changed, works brakes all round, perforated discs, new gear shift, electronic slip diff and many more mechanical changes that you cant see from the outside. Its worth every penny.
When you add up the cost of the changes it costs barely more than two grand over the price of the s and you are getting so much more. It was kept looking like the s intentionally, but anyone who knows works will know the vast difference.
Drive one and you wont look back. I cant wait to be able to afford one, soon I hope.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This car has been totally revamped, pistons changed, works brakes all round, perforated discs, new gear shift, electronic slip diff and many more mechanical changes that you cant see from the outside. Its worth every penny.
When you add up the cost of the changes it costs barely more than two grand over the price of the s and you are getting so much more. It was kept looking like the s intentionally, but anyone who knows works will know the vast difference.
Drive one and you wont look back. I cant wait to be able to afford one, soon I hope.
Just think how little it actually costs BMW to build a JCW over a standard Cooper S though - I'd say a mere fraction of STG£8,600. Talk about bad value for money!

Like all successful companies though, they know that if someone is going to spend around the equivalent of an brand new Audi TT TDI (c.SGT£35,100 in Ireland) on a JCW, then they are MINI obsessed and have been completely taken in by the brand.

I think MINIs are great myself, which is why I own one, but you have to be careful to recognise when a brand is simply ripping you off!!!

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
It is a great car. But yes, I do agree the JCW is getting into silly money territory. I'd still buy one though!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The comparison between the TT and the JCW isn't really valid at all - in UK prices a specced JCW is around 25k, a specced TT is clear of 30 - 32 really (I know as I looked at both) - once residual values are taken into account the JCW makes a lot more sense if you want a shiny new car.

As has been previously stated on this thread - you pays your money................

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The comparison between the TT and the JCW isn't really valid at all - in UK prices a specced JCW is around 25k, a specced TT is clear of 30 - 32 really (I know as I looked at both) - once residual values are taken into account the JCW makes a lot more sense if you want a shiny new car.

As has been previously stated on this thread - you pays your money................
As stated in my previous post, in Ireland, the cars are roughly the same price...

Residual Values? The JCW's value will drop like a stone, and certainly much faster the that of a TT TDI!!!

You have to remember that only enthusiasts will be interested in a JCW, so your market is extremely limited when you wish to sell it on. Evidence of this can be seen from the fact that not only are more standard MINIs sold than JCW versions, but also many more TT TDIs will be sold than JCW MINIs.

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
It has to be said that the best residual values are on the mini one.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont know where you get your figures from!

A cooper s is £16,245 and a factory works is £20,995 how does that equate to over £8500 more?

Is actually £4750 more, and worth every penny.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
I dont know where you get your figures from!

A cooper s is £16,245 and a factory works is £20,995 how does that equate to over £8500 more?

Is actually £4750 more, and worth every penny.
He's in ireland though, and cars are heavily taxed at purchase depending on emissions there - according to the tax calculator on the Irish Revenue Commissioners Online Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Valuation Enquiry System the tax on a brand new JCW is €16262... yes that's right, no typo!!! vehicle registration tax on a brand new cooper S is €5634 and a regular cooper €3317

So the increase in price of the JCW over the Cooper S is not really MINI's fault... it's the revenue commission's. not much can be done about that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
As stated in my previous post, in Ireland, the cars are roughly the same price...

Residual Values? The JCW's value will drop like a stone, and certainly much faster the that of a TT TDI!!!

You have to remember that only enthusiasts will be interested in a JCW, so your market is extremely limited when you wish to sell it on. Evidence of this can be seen from the fact that not only are more standard MINIs sold than JCW versions, but also many more TT TDIs will be sold than JCW MINIs.
I had several PCP quotes for both cars - in every case the "value" of the mini after 3 years / 30,000 miles was more than the TT - and thats in real terms, not percentages - as its 6 or so thousand to start with that makes it a much better proposition in all cases.

Anyway were really not comparing like for like at all - the TT Tdi is aimed as a company car (i'm sorry but no one buying a sports / performance car would willingly stand at the diesel pump just yet), where as the works is the Halo model - to appeal to a specific few and broaden the appeal of the whole range - TTS is the model equivalent of the JCW (for those with another 15k in their back pocket)

If you want a diesel TT then please go and buy one

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had several PCP quotes for both cars - in every case the "value" of the mini after 3 years / 30,000 miles was more than the TT - and thats in real terms, not percentages - as its 6 or so thousand to start with that makes it a much better proposition in all cases.

Anyway were really not comparing like for like at all - the TT Tdi is aimed as a company car (i'm sorry but no one buying a sports / performance car would willingly stand at the diesel pump just yet), where as the works is the Halo model - to appeal to a specific few and broaden the appeal of the whole range - TTS is the model equivalent of the JCW (for those with another 15k in their back pocket)

If you want a diesel TT then please go and buy one
What an old fashioned opinion! Do you know that the TT TDI has roughly the same torque as the TTS?

There is absolutely no doubt about it, the TT TDI is the best value car in the TT range, while the JCW is the worst value car in the MINI range. That is simply a fact - so there's no argument about it. Therefore, the TT TDI is a much, much better value car than the MINI JCW, and it has to be said, a much more luxurious and prestigious car too.

Residual values? There is absolutely no way a JCW will hold it's value better than the best value Audi TT in the range! Common sense should tell you that! And any PCP quotes telling you that the JCW is going to be worth more than the most popular model in the Audi TT range are absolute nonsense!

·
Registered
53 Posts
An old fashioned opinion possibly, but as you rightly pointed out it is an opinion. I prefer my cars to rev to 8000 rpm instead of slamming into the limiter at 5. I think you'll find that Porsche (with the obvious exception of the porsche truck), Ferrari, and Lamborghini hold a similar opinion, and before we start talking about le man race cars they are clearly technology demonstrators - absolutely brilliant but a bit early to make the move to road cars just yet (hence my previous "just yet" comment)

In terms of value - if you want value then buy a Cooper D, or even better something Korean - you get loads for your money there - the JCW isn't just meant to be about the cost - if thats your number one pririty in a car then your not going to want a JCW, just as you wouldn't buy a TTS - end of story.

Seems to me you've gone to a dealer - seen something that in your opinion was over expensive (or you just couldn't afford) and felt the need to come onto a forum to tell the whole world about it - quite why I have no idea. If you want people to agree with you then I think you need to be posting on a different forum.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
If someone is so enamoured of the TT TDI, perhaps they should buy one instead of muttering about it on a MINI forum. Me, I found the visibility out of the side of the TT to be truly awful, and it doesn't have anything like enough room in teh back to be viable as a family car. the MINI is small, sure, but *my* family has been able to cope with travelling everywhere in one.

And I too share the old fashioned prejudices against deisels. I don't care how good the torque is, I'm only going to take them seriously when they stop sounding like van engines.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An old fashioned opinion possibly, but as you rightly pointed out it is an opinion. I prefer my cars to rev to 8000 rpm instead of slamming into the limiter at 5. I think you'll find that Porsche (with the obvious exception of the porsche truck), Ferrari, and Lamborghini hold a similar opinion, and before we start talking about le man race cars they are clearly technology demonstrators - absolutely brilliant but a bit early to make the move to road cars just yet (hence my previous "just yet" comment)

In terms of value - if you want value then buy a Cooper D, or even better something Korean - you get loads for your money there - the JCW isn't just meant to be about the cost - if thats your number one pririty in a car then your not going to want a JCW, just as you wouldn't buy a TTS - end of story.

Seems to me you've gone to a dealer - seen something that in your opinion was over expensive (or you just couldn't afford) and felt the need to come onto a forum to tell the whole world about it - quite why I have no idea. If you want people to agree with you then I think you need to be posting on a different forum.

It's certainly not a question of not being able to afford it, it's a question of having the common sense to recognise when you are being ripped off.

Indeed, I am very much leaning towards an SLK of a TT TDI as my next car...

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
The SLK and the TT are both overpriced. All Audi's are. I currently own an A3 and realise that it even makes mini's look decent value for money!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts