MINI Cooper Forum banner

JCW Pricing

6K views 62 replies 21 participants last post by  popey 
#1 · (Edited)
When I was in the MINI garage today, I had a look at the new 2nd generation JCW. This car costs the Euro equivalent of c.STG£31,200 in Ireland, and is therefore c.STG£8,600 more expensive than a Cooper S at c.STG£22,600.

For a car with such a miserly spec, I think its price is nothing short of an absolute rip-off. Let's just see the main things you get for your extra STG£8,600:

(i) An extra few h.p. (and in the opinion of pretty every journalist's report i have read on it, too much power for the chassis).

(ii) A red gear lever top (about SGT£0.50 worth).

(iii) The JCW body kit (c.£1,250 worth, and at that overpriced for a kit that cheapens the car's looks).

(iv) A set of alloys that are nowhere near as nice as flame spokes.

(v) A JCW exhaust system, and a few little badges here and there.

To offer a car like this at the equivalent of c.STG£31,200 in Ireland, and then not even to fit foglights as standard is ridiculous.

The JCW should not only have all of the aforemetioned, but for it's price, it should have every single extra on the MINI options list as standard. I looked out at my R56 MINI One parked in front of the showroom, and admittedly it is a very high spec MINI One, but with its flame spokes, fogs, chrome mirrors, stripes, chrome pack, white lenses, and all the rest of it, it looked much better than the JCW sitting beside me in the showroom!

See less See more
#4 ·
This car has been totally revamped, pistons changed, works brakes all round, perforated discs, new gear shift, electronic slip diff and many more mechanical changes that you cant see from the outside. Its worth every penny.
When you add up the cost of the changes it costs barely more than two grand over the price of the s and you are getting so much more. It was kept looking like the s intentionally, but anyone who knows works will know the vast difference.
Drive one and you wont look back. I cant wait to be able to afford one, soon I hope.

#5 ·
Just think how little it actually costs BMW to build a JCW over a standard Cooper S though - I'd say a mere fraction of STG£8,600. Talk about bad value for money!

Like all successful companies though, they know that if someone is going to spend around the equivalent of an brand new Audi TT TDI (c.SGT£35,100 in Ireland) on a JCW, then they are MINI obsessed and have been completely taken in by the brand.

I think MINIs are great myself, which is why I own one, but you have to be careful to recognise when a brand is simply ripping you off!!!

#7 ·
The comparison between the TT and the JCW isn't really valid at all - in UK prices a specced JCW is around 25k, a specced TT is clear of 30 - 32 really (I know as I looked at both) - once residual values are taken into account the JCW makes a lot more sense if you want a shiny new car.

As has been previously stated on this thread - you pays your money................

#8 ·
As stated in my previous post, in Ireland, the cars are roughly the same price...

Residual Values? The JCW's value will drop like a stone, and certainly much faster the that of a TT TDI!!!

You have to remember that only enthusiasts will be interested in a JCW, so your market is extremely limited when you wish to sell it on. Evidence of this can be seen from the fact that not only are more standard MINIs sold than JCW versions, but also many more TT TDIs will be sold than JCW MINIs.

#11 ·
He's in ireland though, and cars are heavily taxed at purchase depending on emissions there - according to the tax calculator on the Irish Revenue Commissioners Online Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Valuation Enquiry System the tax on a brand new JCW is €16262... yes that's right, no typo!!! vehicle registration tax on a brand new cooper S is €5634 and a regular cooper €3317

So the increase in price of the JCW over the Cooper S is not really MINI's fault... it's the revenue commission's. not much can be done about that!

#14 ·
An old fashioned opinion possibly, but as you rightly pointed out it is an opinion. I prefer my cars to rev to 8000 rpm instead of slamming into the limiter at 5. I think you'll find that Porsche (with the obvious exception of the porsche truck), Ferrari, and Lamborghini hold a similar opinion, and before we start talking about le man race cars they are clearly technology demonstrators - absolutely brilliant but a bit early to make the move to road cars just yet (hence my previous "just yet" comment)

In terms of value - if you want value then buy a Cooper D, or even better something Korean - you get loads for your money there - the JCW isn't just meant to be about the cost - if thats your number one pririty in a car then your not going to want a JCW, just as you wouldn't buy a TTS - end of story.

Seems to me you've gone to a dealer - seen something that in your opinion was over expensive (or you just couldn't afford) and felt the need to come onto a forum to tell the whole world about it - quite why I have no idea. If you want people to agree with you then I think you need to be posting on a different forum.

#16 ·
An old fashioned opinion possibly, but as you rightly pointed out it is an opinion. I prefer my cars to rev to 8000 rpm instead of slamming into the limiter at 5. I think you'll find that Porsche (with the obvious exception of the porsche truck), Ferrari, and Lamborghini hold a similar opinion, and before we start talking about le man race cars they are clearly technology demonstrators - absolutely brilliant but a bit early to make the move to road cars just yet (hence my previous "just yet" comment)

In terms of value - if you want value then buy a Cooper D, or even better something Korean - you get loads for your money there - the JCW isn't just meant to be about the cost - if thats your number one pririty in a car then your not going to want a JCW, just as you wouldn't buy a TTS - end of story.

Seems to me you've gone to a dealer - seen something that in your opinion was over expensive (or you just couldn't afford) and felt the need to come onto a forum to tell the whole world about it - quite why I have no idea. If you want people to agree with you then I think you need to be posting on a different forum.

It's certainly not a question of not being able to afford it, it's a question of having the common sense to recognise when you are being ripped off.

Indeed, I am very much leaning towards an SLK of a TT TDI as my next car...

#15 ·
If someone is so enamoured of the TT TDI, perhaps they should buy one instead of muttering about it on a MINI forum. Me, I found the visibility out of the side of the TT to be truly awful, and it doesn't have anything like enough room in teh back to be viable as a family car. the MINI is small, sure, but *my* family has been able to cope with travelling everywhere in one.

And I too share the old fashioned prejudices against deisels. I don't care how good the torque is, I'm only going to take them seriously when they stop sounding like van engines.

#27 ·
Who said I'm trying to convince everybody to buy something else other than a MINI? It's the JCW MINI that I'm talking about, not MINIs in general. Does everydody on this forum have a JCW? No. Well then, what are you talking about?

The JCW is poor value, I never said that MINIs in general were poor value, that's why I own one.

But of course, you cannot recognise this, as you are, by your admission MINI obsessed, and therefore are completely unable to tell when you are being ripped off. If MINI brought out a STG£100k car with a 20bhp and a few little fancy badges here and there, you'd be on this forum telling everyone what a bargain it is!

#23 ·
The JCW is very keenly priced actually.....

Take the £20,995 asking price (in the UK), subtract £1200 for the JCW aero kit (that's what most dealers will charge you), then subtract £850 for the brake upgrade (this is the cost of the parts bought from MINI), then subtract £700 for the alloy wheel upgrade (standard Cooper S only comes with 16"s), then subtract £600 for standard aircon.....

You're left with £17,645 which is only £1400 more than a standard S. So actually, all that extra power is only costing you £1400.

Don't believe a journalist either telling you its got too much power for the chassis - they're wrong. I've driven the new JCW, and I've driven it hard. Its a cracking little MINI with an excellent response, poise, turn in, and of course a decent amount of power.

When you think of the level of engineering required to perform the power upgrade, including all revised engine internals, £1400 is a bargain.

Or, you can go and buy a TT that shares most of its running gear and engine with the Golf.

#24 ·
There is a world of difference between cost to the customer and cost to the manufacturer. The costs you are quoting are all costs to the customer not the actual additional cost to the manufacturer of production. If you looked at production costs then the picture would be totally different .

#33 ·
a TTTdi is £25,600 basic - £26,350 OTR - metallic is 500 quid, once you've added full leather £500 and 18" wheels £1000 - thats 28350 OTR - and thats before you even start on stereos, bluetooth etc etc - personally I wouldn't have one without the magnetic ride either (it is very good) which is another 1300. In my opinion it's a very different animal to the JCW and really isn't a direct comparison at all.

With regards to residuals I have no idea, am just saying the deals I was offered - maybe Audi are less keen to sell cars than MINI are.

#34 ·
You must remember that a TT TDI is a much better equiped car than the MINI to start off with, not to mention a much higher class and prestigious car. I mean, a JCW doesn't even come with foglights - talk about penny pinching!

Of course if you add a load of options to the TT TDI, the cost will shoot up, but the point is that you don't have to add those options at all - it is already an excellently specced car.

Really, a set of top of the range alloys on the TT and that's all you need. You could buy a black one, so you don't need metallic, and the leather and magnetic ride are somewhat frivilous options, that don't come as standard on the MINI either! The only optional extra would be a nicer set of alloys.

As regards driving the JCW, the Cooper S has more than enough power in my opinion. I was seriously impressed by the TT TDI's performance! Fantastic power all through the rev range - sure it's not as fast as the JCW, but it is a much more comfortable and effortless car to drive.

#39 ·
Have to agree with Mini&MercGUY here that the standard spec of the Audi TT TDi is very good.
In addition to the list above it also comes as standard with Alcantara/Leather Upholstery which is extra on the JCW and the standard alloy wheels 8J x17 are excellent.
Out of interest yesterday, I specced up a TT Tdi to a reasonable spec with metallic, Multi function steering wheel and Bluetooth phone system - it came to £26,665 and I have no doubt I could get a discount on that price.

BMW of all the car manufacturers out there are masters at product packaging and brand marketting and as I pointed out in a previous post, the cost to BMW of producing a JCW over and above a normal Cooper S is probably very small in percentage terms compared to the difference in list price between a JCW and normal Cooper S.

Posts which argue that adding the same features onto a Cooper S either as factory fitted options or even worse as aftermarket additions, makes the JCW good value are deluding themselves and falling victim to BMW's brand marketting hype.

Does all this mean I would not buy a JCW - well no but that does not mean I should ignore that in "real terms" the JCW is not the best value Mini in the range.

#40 ·
That must be why Auto Express has named it hot hatch of the year then!

Also the six page in depth review of this months Modern Mini Magazine heaps nothing but praise on this little beauty.

Must be just little old biased you then!

Why come here to praise Audis, we dont like them thats why we drive minis!

#43 ·
I agree with Picard. Why not get a Hyundai Getz or if the VAG family is preferred the remarkable Skoda Superb. I have a JCW and do you know why as far as I am concerned it is fabulous value -BECAUSE I WANT ONE-! I dont want a Getz. a Superb, a TT Tdi or Bugatti Veyron come to that so they are neither desirable nor good value as far as I am concerned. Buy a TTTdi, you will feel smug, the dealer will be happy and VAG Ireland will have one more in the bag! Win, Win, Win!

#46 ·
Disappointed with this thread, mini owner makes a perfectly reasonable point re whether a model that is going to cost him best part of £30K is value for money against opposition and whilst some people give good feedback on their opinions , some bully boys come up with "old fashioned ", "get off the forum and go to VAG", "buy a Getz". Very intolerant and something that moderators would not have allowed in the past. Pretty sad when you are so blinkered that instead of debating the point your only input is to hurl insults.

#47 ·
That's largely why I stopped posting in this thread. A TT is a perfectly valid choice - not *my car of choice, but there are plenty of TT owners who have thought differently. We all have to decide *for ourselves* what car is the right car.

Me, although I realise that the JCW is only about £2,000 more than a similarly-equipped S, when you're spending £23,000+ on a car, it's gosh-darned hard to justify spending it on a MINI. But then, it's gosh-darned hard justifying spending £23,000+ on a car that you don't really like, which is where everything else falls down.

#49 ·
I do indeed think that the Scirocco is a contender...my worry would be though that although they are an unusual looking car now, when they become more popular on the road, their exclusivity will diminish, while a MINI pulls off the remarkable trick of looking different, exclusive and flashy no matter how many of them are sold!

I think the Scirocco looks rather well in white though, as the bodywork contrasts nicely with the black trim. I haven't seen one on the road yet, so I'll reserve judgement until then.

I just think it will become one of those cars that look fantastic when launched, but due to their popularity, become rather mundane looking. Take the new Ford Mondeo as a prime example of this - it looked great when unveiled at motorshows around the world, but so many of them are on the road now, that they are about as noticeable as a magnolia wall!!!!!

#50 ·
The new Scirocco ought to be considered as serious competition. But it's not got enough doors for me to consider it. Than there's the Mark 6 Golf, due out early 2009 - based on the Mark 5 floor pan (which handles very well), but with a new body & interior. A bit on the big side AFAIC, but I'm going to be keeping a close watch on what's going to get to market first - a Mk 6 GTi or the Clubman Works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.