MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just bought some JCW seats for my 2004 Cooper :D. Was wondering if anyone can piont my in the direction of fitting instructions or fitting tips. Thanks in advance.

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
Firstly before you do anything remove your air bag fuse or remove the battery and put the hazards on. Buy two 3.9 ohm resistor.

Dissconnect the seat on the floor and unplug the blue and yellow wires, swop the runners over and put the seat back in. Once in, plug in the blue wires back together. Solder the resistor accross the yellow, doesn't matter which way around.

If you get the airbag light on you will need a B200 to clear it, I have one...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi r1_kde, where did you get hold of a B200 and what does it look like? I just fitted by JCW this weekend but I'm very much a novice when it comes to cars and modding :) Cheers!

AERO MINI, I used a guide from Modern MINI magazine, although it wasn't that great. You can probably get it done following the instructions above. It took me about 8 hours to fit mine, but a lot of that was with getting the runners off the old seats.

A few tips (assuming you've got the Sparco JCW seats, not the Recaro ones for the R56):

- You need a tool for getting the T40 torx screws off the runners. There's only about 2 inches of clearance so you'll need an alum key style right-angled tool. I bought a socket set from B&Q which helped a lot. The screws are very tight. You'll need low profile (I think that's what they're called) screw heads in order to fit into the gaps.

- You'll need a T50 torx screwdriver/socket to remove the seatbeat pre-tensioner.

- Pay attention to how to seat adjustment bar is fitted to the runners, as you'll have to take it off and fit it back on later. I had to remove the runners a couple of times on the JCW seats because I hadn't fitted the adjustment bar correctly.

- You'll need the brackets for fitting the seatbelt pre-tensioners. Hopefully you'll have a set from buying the JCW seats. I didn't, but managed to use the ones from my old seats. Getting the bracket off the passenger side one was easy. However, getting the bracket off the height-adjustable driver seat was difficult because it was rivoted to the subframe. Finally managed to get it off using an electric drill, chisel and hammer :) As I say, if you've got the proper brackets already from buying the seats, it'll save you the hassle of getting them off your old seats.

- There's a tilt-and-slide cable that feeds to the rear-inner corner of the seats. This allows the seat to slide forward when you tilt the backs of the seats forward. They're not difficult to remove and re-fit, but note how they're fitted on the old seats.

Goodluck :)

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Changed mine recnetly, taking a lot of pictures with a view to doing a "how too guide" of my own. Haven't had time yet though, sorry. Anyway i used the Modern MINI guide, and as said it's seriously lacking. Some points that were not clear in the article, and some that were but you may not know.

Assuming you are starting from scratch and that your seats don't have runners fitted. Do you have the sub frame and tensioner brackets?

- As above you need a T50 torx, and a T40.

- Always disconnect the battery before starting, not just rely on "taking care not to touch the connectors", as MM mag advises. Air bags are messy and expensive.

- Before removing your old seats make sure they are pumped up to their highest setting. This should negate the statement above about needing special tools due to lack of space.

- Place both seats bottoms up in front of you. Making sure you have something under them to prevent damage.

- Undo the seat belt tensioner T50 bolt first while the seat is still all together. this is very tight and you need leverage that is only there if the seat is in tact.

- Undo the bolts holding the runners to the old seats at the back. The runners then pivot at the front so you can get at the front ones.

- Assemble the runners and subframe first, then mount the the bottom of the seat. Other way around means access to runner bolts is difficult.

- Connect up the tilt slide cable. My seats are pre facelift, andf the car post facelift. The lug that the circlip goes around on the seats is far too small for the clip fitted to the car. If you have the same problem, you'll need to get some smaller circlips to keep it from falling off.

- Take care not to cross thread the bolt when putting the seats back in. You are screwing into a captive nut that will move around. This is designed to give some play, but if you knacker the thread you'll have had it.

Took me about 3 hours for the first seat, and about 1.5 for the second. Derek Woodman MINI put my airbag off the official way and it cost £30.

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
the B200 is a small handheld computer, can be found on ebay and google search. it costs about £50 - £60.

If you need to use one once I can post mine out for a small cost...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Issue 24 - July 2008

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying it just for the guide, it's only 2 pages long and the pics are quite small. But then again, I probably wouldn't have attempted it myself if I didn't have the guide...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I think i remember a similar how to guide in Go Mini magazine a long time ago, will have a look at home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi just reading all your posts , where did you all get seats from, if someone could point me in correct direction and how much did you pay, im dieing to get my hands on a set!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Theres a set going on piston heads in alcantara if thats hgow you spell it hah. Very rare i think he wants around £700 for them so not too bad to be honest a little out of my budget at the moment.
Hope that helps

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
there is / was a post on the forum with all the JCW seat prices on but I can't find it as I am very bad with the search :( you may have beter luck

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
no not quite, there was a comprhensive list of all the seats in all the materials... it may have gone now. but that shows some prices so could be a help to thouse without the seats and looking

1 - 18 of 18 Posts