MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have ordered a set of NGK BKR7EIX Iridium spark-plugs for the JCW, did a bit of searching through old posts and came up with mixed advice of how tight to tighten the plugs.

One post said 18-20lb and one said 12lb??

What torque should I use please?

Also should I leave the plugs set at their factory-gap, or do I need to re-set them to a specific gap?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

And what about the gap, do I leave them as pre-set or do I need to re-set them?

The plugs are not the exact same as the OEM plugs, as are a slightly different model.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I have used all my NGKs straight from the box as the one time I checked they were gapped to very close to correct gap (not worth fiddling) they have always run and sparked fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Richard

All I’ve got to do now is buy a small torque wrench as I don’t think my big one goes down to 20lb.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I just nipped them up as I've done it so many times and my little torque wrench is fiddly ... but having one to do the job properly is a good idea (just some fools still don't bother LOL)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a good excuse just to get another tool!!!!!

Plus so I understand smear a little Copper Slip on the thread, do you agree?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I always just get an oily rag and rub it on the threads...not enough to leak down anywhere, but enough to stop any corrosion welding them in place. Copper slip in a small quantity and well away from the ends probably wont hurt TBH.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought a shiny new torque wrench and some copper-slip, hopefully the plugs and leads will arrive tomorrow so I can fit them at the weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts