MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For all you JCW owners
I have read a BMW report saying all r53 JCW Tunning kits should have there spark plugs changed at every service visit.
So if you have TLC packs they should be done free of charge.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I'd like to see that report as this would be a HUGE waste.....

Do you have a number or something because this doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCW Spark Plugs

Sorry,

What Huge waste.
Saves me paying for the things.
The report is on the Motoringfile web site . Just enter JCW spark plugs in the search and you will find it, complete with download.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Fair enough, but what have they done to the engine that requires new plugs every visit. This one really makes me scratch my head....

The huge waste is the fact that you are probably changing plugs early thus wasting a perfectly good plug. I have been watching mine in my MINI for a while now (same plugs) and they are fine with about 20K on them. I just can't figure out what they are doing to the engine that requires new plugs every service.

Thanks for brining it up. I don't have a JCW but I am modded more than a JCW so I was curious to this post.

·
Big Grin...
322 Posts
Well I followed this up with BMW GB and they agreed they should be changed as documented (every service internal) - I'm not saying it's right but I'm not going to turn down new plugs (especially as they are nearly £100 for 4!!!) - I'm approaching 40k so I don't think it's too unreasonably to change them anyway (I kept my old ones too). My dealer (Scothall Leeds) initially did not agree but after they had checked with BMW GB all was fine. They had to order the plugs in as they are not the same as the standard cooper s ones (ensure you get the right ones fitted). Quite glad I went through with chasing up as whilst in for them being changed they also spotted my engine mount had failed again (leaking oil) so I'm on my third one! Despite being a few months out of warranty BMW picked up the full cost so thanks to them - seems to be a very common problem this.

On a similar note Scothalls initally thought the JCW bits (plugs & air filter) were not covered under TLC as part of the normal service schedule but again BMW GB confirmed they were. So, if a dealer tries to charge you for them get them to check as they shouldn't be.

.Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts