MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, hello to everyone. I ordered a JCW earlier this week and the dealer managed to find me a build slot for the first week of December with delivery around the middle of December.

I may have only today left to make any last-minute changes before the status changes to build. I have ordered the Carbon Black Punch leather sports seats but am toying with the idea of the JCW Sports Seats. My test drive was in a car with the standard sports seats and they seemed fine.

My dealer is quoting £2,015 to have the JCW sports seats fitted. That's an eye-watering amount of cash and i'm wondering if they will be worth it. I imagine they provide better support for fast driving but for daily driving are the standard leather sports seats more comfortable than the JCW ones?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Isn't the factory shut for all of December due to poor sales??? :confused:

Can't help much with the JCW seats, but I can tell you there's nothing wrong with the punch leather seats. I do 60 miles a day in them and they are just fine. I'm nearing 30k miles and they haven't worn or anything.

Your gonna loose a very large chunk of that come resale time, to me it wouldn't be worth it. I think I'd only go for it if I could get a big discount off the car or the seats.

The seats are rebadged Recaros, might be worth pricing some of those up?

·
Factory JCW
658 Posts
They are expensive for what they are.. The demo car i drove had the Alcantra Recaro JCW seats and after 2000 miles they were already looking Warn!!:(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll give them a miss. The dealer is advising me not to change anything now as it could cause a delay in the delivery of the car.

He hasn't mentioned anything about the factory being shut in December and, even as of this morning, has been advising me of a build in the first week of December with delivery to the dealership by mid-December. I hope he isn't wrong!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Would have thought it would be best to purchase afterwards, and fit yourself - from what I've read, it's not a HUGE job.

·
Registered
851 Posts
He hasn't mentioned anything about the factory being shut in December and, even as of this morning, has been advising me of a build in the first week of December with delivery to the dealership by mid-December. I hope he isn't wrong!
My mistake, they are shutting Dec 7th - Jan 5th. See here:

Mini factory Christmas shut down extended (From thisisoxfordshire)

Hopefully you'll be ok, but the JCW cars get the aerokit fitted after they are built and so take longer than standard MCSs to filter through the system, not sure if the closure effects this part. Just be prepared for a delay that's all, Mini dealers are very often wrong...

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
The JCW seats are dealer fit only so wont effect your build slot in anyway ;). In fact all JCW bit are dealer fit options bar the brakes.

Another thing to consider is that the JCW wont move up and down (hight adjust) once fitted.

There expensive but look great.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The JCW seats are dealer fit only so wont effect your build slot in anyway ;). In fact all JCW bit are dealer fit options bar the brakes.

Another thing to consider is that the JCW wont move up and down (hight adjust) once fitted.

There expensive but look great.
As Popey, and others have said they look the mutts:D. Buy them later and they can be had for less than £1600 fitted. Keep your old ones for resale time and get a decent chunk of your investment back.

I'm getting the full leather versions early next year for sure, although the Punch leather seats are good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello, I hope you do get your car, I have been waiting six weeks and still not here!
I hope you are not under 5'7" because if you are you wont see over the bonnet with the JCW seats!
I wanted these but I cant see, so cant have them. I am 5'2" and the salesman told me anyone under 5'7" had trouble seeing the end of the bonnet.
You must post pics when you get your car, I will too one day!

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Hello, I hope you do get your car, I have been waiting six weeks and still not here!
I hope you are not under 5'7" because if you are you wont see over the bonnet with the JCW seats!
I wanted these but I cant see, so cant have them. I am 5'2" and the salesman told me anyone under 5'7" had trouble seeing the end of the bonnet.
You must post pics when you get your car, I will too one day!
Did he know you can adjust the hight when then are been fitted to what ever hight you want?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Did he know you can adjust the hight when then are been fitted to what ever hight you want?
Only two height settings :smile:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Only two height settings :smile:
Thats true and even on lower or two options i dont think they sit as low in the car as they should

Certainly higher than punch or lounge sports seats pushed down to lowest setting!

I toyed with idea of getting them but i think long journey comfort is not fantastic, they are very expensive even at 1600 quid but most of all they sit too high

So not for me

Still dont understand why some of the JCW options are not able to be fitted in factory

I would have pais a premium of say 500 quid to have the JCW suspension fitted on the production line but 1200+ is alot - basically to uninstall and reinstal;l suspension

·
Its GOT to be shiny
169 Posts
Two words "hell yes!!" buy them. Previous to my JCW I had an R56 cooper with punched leather and you can feel the difference. They are worth the Investment for looks and comfort espically if you have ordered a JCW and the seats hold you firm when driving opposed to you siding and being flung around. Not only that you will agree they look the businesses if you want pics I'll post some for you from mine.

·
Its GOT to be shiny
169 Posts
Two words "hell yes!!" buy them. Previous to my JCW I had an R56 cooper with punched leather they were comfy but you can feel the difference. They are worth the Investment for looks and comfort espically if you have ordered a JCW and the seats hold you firm when driving opposed to you siding and being flung around.the heigh adjust is not an issue the dealer after sales have tools to adjust and I'm 5.5 I haven't adjusted them, i cant see over the bonnet and all is fine .Not only that you will agree they look the businesses if you want pics I'll post some for you from mine. Ohh and forgot to add I oredered the punched leather in my new JCW took them out sold them on eBay for £320 (just the front pair) then replaced them with JCW Recaros .... That's another way around it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Height of seat probably ok if you are 5ft 5 but if nearer to or over 6 ft you are going to be too high

Only two settings you can have these installed at (high and higher)

Thats what i felt Have tried them in both settings Top setting was ridiculous like drivin an MPV!

Any other people have tried them and like height?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dont get me wrong though

Love the seat look great and snug fit for twisties

I think mini really need to come up wth another factory fit option for the seats somewherer between the porst seats and the jcws eg longer bolster than sports with some red trim / stitching on them

1 - 20 of 46 Posts